Let's Do Lunch...and become NOT HUNGRY!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Bethesda

Re: Let's Do Lunch...and become NOT HUNGRY!

Post by Bethesda »

Which foods are currently genetically engineered?
In Australia, GE ingredients in food are derived from four main crops:

imported corn (or maize) and soy; and
local and imported canola and cottonseed products.
In 2008, GE canola was grown for the first time in NSW and Victoria, and may enter the food chain. Canola oil is used in a variety of processed foods, and canola meal can be fed to livestock such as chicken, pigs and dairy cattle.

Other GE ingredients may also be found in many essential processed foods such as bread, pastries, snack foods, baked goods, vegetable oils, margarine, flours, starches, sauces, fried foods, soy foods, lecithin, sweets, soft drinks and sausage skins.

Soy alone can be found in up to 60% of all processed food, including soy flour, soy oil or minor ingredients such as lecithin.

Corn is also widely used in processed foods — look out for corn starch, corn flour, corn oil as well as more hidden ingredients such as maltodextrin.

The largest use of GE crops is not to feed people directly but as animal feed — fresh meat, milk and eggs may be derived from pigs, cows and chickens fed on GE grains.

The True Food Guide (http://www.truefood.org.au/truefoodguide) lists companies (and their brands) that are avoiding the use of GE food. It also lists those companies and brands at risk of containing GE ingredients since their producers are not acting to remove these sources of contamination. Some companies have taken the initiative to mark food as “non-GE” or “GE free” on packaging.

Fresh vegetables sold in Australia should all be GE-free and organic foods are certified as being GE-free.

Unfortunately, it is not exactly true that our food is GM free.
Thank you for the encouragement. I really need it .
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Too bad! I'm disappointed to hear that you, too, have GMO foods. Keep up the good work, Bethesda!!! ;)
Pam
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Hello, I have gone through a very depressed stage. I keep thinking, that for the rest of my life, there will never be another ice-cream, sponge cake, birthday cake, chocolate, cream on my dessert, my favourite peanut bikkies, toast and fresh bread rolls, fish and chips, scones and jam and cream, baked potato, custard, cream puffs, pavlova, xmas cake, trifle, butterscotch, marshmallows and I could go on and on.
If I have read things correctly. If I eat one wrong thing, the weight will come back on.
This week I put on a kilo. I had a visitor. It was impossible to have main meal in the middle of the day and my American friend just had to have fish and chips and I couldn't get out of it. I was starving and it was freezing and blowing a gale so we couldn't go searching for anything else. Apart from a tiny bit of crumble and a couple of teaspoons of low fat coconut cream that was all I did wrong.
I am hungry all the time so I have to snack between meals........popcorn or corn thins or whatever is allowed.
I am also depressed because I cant recommend this diet to my overweight friends because it is just too difficult and I know they would flop and I would feel guilty.
Being Winter here, the only fruit available is oranges, mandarines and apples and bananas. The other imported stuff is just too expensive. I have been eating my frozen grapes, hoping they won't run out and frozen berries and canned fruit of course.
Went to a wake yesterday and I didn't take popcorn. I was so hungry and the food was laid on in abundance. I just had a coffee with my own sweetener.
My best friend keeps telling me she can see I have lost weight as it has come off my face. I don't want to hear that. It makes me look older and wrinklier.
Please forgive my grumbles. I just had to get it off my chest.
Please don't tell me all the substitutes for ice-cream etc. I already know all that.
Cheers to you all and blessings as well. :( :(( :ymsigh:
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Bethesda- I was planning on writing you this morning as you haven't posted for a few days, then up you popped! I think that every one of us has been at the mental crossroads where you are right now. No one is going to follow this plan perfectly forever. I did, however for over a year. I was heady with success and so motivated to get the weight off. After that, I let up a bit.

What are your reasons for losing weight? We each have our own motivating factors. No matter how hard we try, none of us will look as good as we might have looked in our twenties. We will look as good as we can at our present age. I hated the way my neck looked as I lost weight- like a turkey waddle! Guess what? As I maintained the weight loss, it has tightened up a bit. I have learned to accept it. It is the best my neck can look at age 67. I can't change the past. If I had stayed trim all my life, my neck wouldn't have so much stretched skin. I didn't, so my neck is loose. There are worse things- high blood pressure, strokes, diabetes, shame, embarrassment, and all the well-known health hazards of obesity. Personally, I had a rather unusual motivation to lose weight. I have MS and use a cane and park my car closer to stores with a handicapped permit. I sometimes have to use a walker. I didn't want onlookers to see this aging, obese woman getting out of her car in a handicapped accessible space and making the judgement that I needed the accommodations because I was too fat. it worked. Now I do not feel like people are judging me.

Now that the weight has been off for awhile, I enjoy an occasional baked potato when we go out to eat. Our local ice cream store has a product called Wow Cow which is fat free, sugar free, and dairy free. Infrequently I have a portion in the summer. The thing is that I try to always keep in mind that I want my foods to be health-giving, not chemical Frankenfoods. This manufactured chemical soup ice cream-like product cannot be enhancing my health. Sometimes I make an almond milk with cocoa "milkshake" if I need a chocolate fix. Would I lose weight on these foods? Probably not. But infrequently not losing may be acceptable to you- like last week with your friend. If it's not a medical emergency that you lose weight as soon as possible, when does it matter when you reach your weight loss goal as long as you have a downward trend on the scale? If I am up a few pounds, I give up corn and popcorn for awhile and cut way back on my fruits. I stick to meats, eggs, some beans, and vegetables with lower carbohydrate fruits for awhile and lose those few pounds I may have put back on. LDL eating is a lifestyle, not a race to the goal. Life happens. Eat the closest to LDL you can in any given circumstance. Plan ahead. Eat before a social event. Take fruit or popcorn with you to an event. I have taken plastic zipper bags of cut up fruit and/or vegetables to augment the food served at weddings and other special events many times. I am very strict about not eating wheat. I know it is inflammatory to me. The resultant pain is motivation enough for me not to eat it although I did eat a few cookies (well, truthfully it was a dozen) a couple years ago at Christmas. It was worth it and a carefully planned splurge.

Just be careful not to make a splurge a way of life. If you eat the way you've always eaten, you WILL soon look the way you've always looked. I do have to tell you that nothing tastes good enough to make me want to be FAT ever again.

You can do this, Bethesda. It is a mindset. Think of some of your trigger foods as poison. They really are!
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Ms. Heirloom,

Although you are addressing Bethesda I read your reply with much interest and I wish to commend you on the great knowledge you have passed on through this post. You have indeed hit the nail on the head and have responded so intelligently to Bethesda's problem that I will print out your reply and keep it in the red LDL book that I refer to quite often.

Thank you for your knowledgeable insight into this common problem. I will be sure to take to heart myself!

Blessings,

SweetRose @};-
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Thanks so much, SweetRose. It is from my heart. I want everyone to enjoy the health-giving benefits of LDL, even if they make some tough decisions along the way. No one is perfect and much of our lives revolve around food. We need to learn to love ourselves in order to treat ourselves well and adopt a healthy lifestyle. :)
Pam
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Thank you MsHeirloom. I am sitting here crying. You are so compassionate and loving and I am so frustrated because I would just love to put my arms around you and hug you. You look so beautiful and I know it must be such a hard road for you to travel. I have some severe physical problems as well, some of which are making the way of eating more difficult. Today is a big shop day and I didn't know how I could cope even with DH pushing the trolley for me. So, I have gone back to bed depressed and poor DH doesn't know what to do. Well, I got up to see if anyone answered me on LDL and here I am in my dressing gown and slippers,thinking that maybe, just maybe, I can cope.
I am not much older than you, early 70's. I am not grossly obese but obese enough for the doctor to make a call.
My sister died very young because of obesity and other things and I don't want to follow her path.
I have always been a good cook and cooking has been one of my main hobbies. My American friend even got out her iphone to take a photo of one of my meals and she said I should be on Masterchef. This diet (meal plan) does not allow me to be terribly inventive and creative which I guess is not helping the depression......
Well, here goes, I am off to positive again and stop whinging and start Praising the Lord who created all things to be richly enjoyed.
Blessings to you and please accept my warmest hug and even a Christian kiss.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

So beautifully put, Pam. I am proud of how you take the time to explain. I agree with you that it is a lifetime eating program. It works very well if one will plan for it. It's the only plan that has worked for me. :ymhug: JF
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Can you give me some ideas of what is meant by adding a little something fattening to something non fattening to make it taste great? I can't find it in my red book. Thanks......... :ymhug:
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Dear Bethesda,
Thank you so much for your kind words. My heart goes out to you. Once you make up your mind to embrace the LDL lifestyle, you will find that it is possible to be a very creative cook. Just look at the recipes that Little Mary has posted as well as just about every member on here. You will add to our recipe file with your love and talent for cooking. Just about any recipe can be adapted by adding blended beans to thicken, fruit to sweeten, and vegetables to add variety.

I never quite understood what Roger meant by the "add something a little fattening" comment as I am very literal and took the guidelines in the book very seriously. I would take his suggestion to mean adding butter or olive oil to fresh corn on the cob, or perhaps grated parmesan cheese to hot popcorn. I don't think it means dipping our corn thins into melted chocolate :ymdevil: !

I hope you have made it to the store and found some delicious, health-giving foods to nourish your body and soul. I have often had strangers comment on how beautiful the food in my grocery cart looks. I graciously accept your hug and kiss. You can do this. The rewards are so worth the effort!

Hugs- Pam
Last edited by MsHeirloom on July 21st, 2014, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Just one more thing, Bethesda. Think of all the delicious and wonderful foods we can and should eat. Don't concentrate on the sugar-laden, manufactured , and processed foods invented by big corporations to addict us to the very foods that take away our health, self-esteem, and even our ability to stop eating their poisons.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Ms. Heirloom, that was spoken from a heart that has experienced this way of eating in it joys and struggles. Thanks for putting it so well.

Bethesda, Ms Heirloom hit the nail on the head when she said to not think about what you can't have, but what you can. God has given us such beautiful, colorful variety and with the proper frame of mind, this way of eating can even be easy and joyous. I had a struggle getting back to eating like I knew I should, because I was thinking like you were expressing. Then I just saw sugar and grains for what they were to my body. I sort of jokingly (but seriously) call them the devil!! :ymdevil: I mean, they bring such pain and cravings and I decided that I do not need them anymore. I'm starting to revel in the colors and tastes of food the way God intended. I try to spot lies I'm hearing about how good something is. No, it really isn't good, if it will put on unhealthy weight and bring inflammation to my joints. I have to be brutally honest about it, because the truth really does set you free!! I feel so free to eat the right foods, I am not desiring the bad stuff.

There have been a couple of occasions recently that I had to make some choices that if I'd been home I wouldn't have. We were invited to eat at some friends' house and they cooked spaghetti. So, I was honest with them that I wasn't eating the noodles, but would just eat meatballs, and not to fret over it because I was fine. I figured the meatballs had some bread crumbs in them, but I wasn't going to be so unsociable as to not eat them. We had a nice evening with good friends and that was the important thing. Then, we went to a wedding reception with lots of food. They had Chinese, sushi, Cajun, Brazilian, pasta, etc. Very little was purely LDL friendly. I had some Chinese, but could taste there was some sugar in the stir fry. I did have fruit, though! The Brazilian meats were fine, though I normally don't eat meat at night. I did not eat cake, because it really has no redeeming value in my book and I want to keep thinking that way!! ;) I think I did pretty well with my choices, though it wasn't perfect. Then there have been a few occasions my husband wanted to eat out in the evening. I just make the best choices I can. We had Thai the other night and I love the coconut base soup with chicken. It was a treat. I found a lettuce wrap on the menu that became my main course. I'm to the point where I'd much rather eat at home because I keep lots of fresh fruit on hand, but I've learned to adapt.

I think you'll find that LDL will be as hard or as easy as you let your mind convince you. Don't allow commercials on TV to sabotage your efforts. The whole point of the ad is to convince you that you need something you don't need. Even if you have to talk to the TV, let it know that you are wise to its ways and you will not be bullied!! You can't be passive when you are fighting to be healthy.

Blessings on you for a happy, healthy life!! You can be successful at this. You must begin to create new LDL recipes for us!! We love new recipes!! Mary has been such an inspiration in that department. You will be too!!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Thanks, Crick. That was very well said. It's a lifetime of learning, and trying, and succeeding. There are so many food cues directing us to the manufactured, and bad for us foods. Thanks for your input.
Bethesda- How are you doing? There's a lot here to think about!!!
Pam
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Ms. Heirloom, just seeing your tracker. Is it true, just 7 lbs. to goal??? How exciting! You look great!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Ms. Heirloom, just seeing your tracker. Is it true, just 7 lbs. to goal??? How exciting! You look great!
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Thanks, Crick. It's been quite a journey. Five years this past May. Some cruises, three surgeries, lots of holidays... Slow, but sure! ;;)
Pam
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Pot Luck Soup luncheon today for our Seniors Connect group. We are called Antiques and Treasures. LOL.
I have made mushroom and vege soup which I will eat if none of the other soups are suitable.
I will take 2 corn thins to have instead of the crusty bread rolls.
Dessert will be my own home made bean muffin. (beans, banana, popcorn flour, stevia and a little oil)
There is no meat in my soup so tonight I will start with fruit and then have some salad and leftover chicken sausages I made from the recipe in the book but I don't like it much because it is so dry. Have to try again on this one.
In two weeks we are going away in the caravan and to do a few visits. This will be a challenge. I am working on menus now. The frozen bananas and grapes will be a bit of an issue and also lack of electricity in some places but I will manage.
Thanks for the encouragement. Jeni
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Great post Crick!

SweetRose @};-
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

I am very excited because I have lost another kilo. That means I have lost 7 kilos in total and some of my clothes are too loose. My doctor noticed my weight loss and was very pleased especially as my blood pressure was so good.
One of my friends has ordered the book and is very anxious for it to arrive. Another Aussie for you.
Tomorrow the caravan trip starts so I am very keen to not deviate from the plan and hopefully will get in a bit more exercise.
Praise the Lord for all His mercies. they are new every day. Jeni. :ymapplause:
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Oh, Bethesda! It is so good to hear of your continuing success. You are doing a great job! That's over 15 pounds. No wonder your clothes are loose and the doctor is pleased. Congratulations.

I know that the trip will challenge your creativity in keeping true to LDL, however, I know you can do it. I have followed the plan while camping, on cruises, and even in the hospital. Just eat unprocessed foods and stay away from sugar and wheat. Take your corn thins. Sometimes I have eaten a fast food burger by taking off the bun (which blots off the grease very nicely) and putting the hamburger onto my corn thins. I have also gotten salads and brought along popcorn in zipper plastic bags for snacks. You can do this.

Success tastes SO GOOD!!!!!