Let's Do Lunch...and become NOT HUNGRY!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Let's Do Lunch...and become NOT HUNGRY!

Post by LINDA RN »

Congratulations Jeni.
That is exactly what happened to my hubby.
Doc was amazed at how slim he looked and was baffled at how normal his BP was even without meds.
He has been off his BP meds for 4 years now.
Hopefully that will be your experience also.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Hello, I am very pleased. I lost 1 kilo in the 10 days I was caravanning. Must have done most of the right things. DIL cooked me gluten free pasta for tea. It had a few wrong things in it but I was grateful and just took a very small serve and then I had a piece of sour dough bread and pulled the middle out. I must say that all the Grandies just thought this was another one of Grandmas' quirky habits.
One issue I have is this. Lunch....I just can't eat a big meal in one sitting and 1 hour later I am really hungry again. Any answers?
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I never had time and/or enough to eat at work to be stuffed.
So I ended up grazing.
Can still loose weight if you are only eating LDL approved foods and try to eat light in the evening.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

I am going quite well. Just have a couple of questions. Those of you who have a lot to lose. Do you keep buying clothes as you go down a size?
I was always used to having a dessert with my main meal but now lunch is the main meal and we aren't supposed to have fruit. So I have my meat and veges but an hour later am hungry looking for dessert. I still can't cope with a huge lunch.
Tea time, if I have soup I am not supposed to have chicken or meat in it? Is that correct? But I can have beans in it, so isn't that protein?
I am being quite strict. In 3 months haven't had a bite of chocolate, ice-cream, cake, potato etc etc.
This is nice........banana ice cream between 2 rice cakes. A good substitute for an ice-cream cone.
I am putting super greens from the HFS in my smoothies. I hope it is ok.
Cheers, Jeni
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Hey, Jeni-
We'd love to see a ticker of your progress. You are doing so well. Staying strict is the way to go. Once you "jump off the wagon," it is SO difficult to get back on.
I bought my clothes at the thrift store. I wore them until they got big, donated them back and bought more. Our thrift store supports local charities so it was a feel good way to handle that expense of changing sizes.
Roger does think we are better off eating meat only once a day. If there's a little meat in your soup, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Different people have individual protein needs. I think the super greens would be just fine- and good for you.
Keep up your great progress! Pam
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Hi Jeni,
When I read the book the first time. It was my understanding when Roger wrote "don't eat fruit with meals" it was because: If we later have that sweet craving, we won't be so inclined to reach for more fruit, but for the cakes and cookies instead. I tried my hardest to do it this way, but then my worst cravings for sweets would come later at night. When I just made up my mind to eat ONLY fruit when I have those cravings, regardless of when,what time, how and why. I do so much better. So, although lunch is still my main protein meal, after I have finished I do have a piece of fruit, or a little watermelon. To me, I just feel more satisfied and am able to wait longer for my next meal and eat less and more healthy. But, when those cravings do hit I go for a smoothie and drink until the cravings are gone. Some nights I add beans, the "magically fruit"..lol..because I need rich and creamy. This does not seem to stall my weight loss. I keep my bag of LDL meat balls in the freezer. Some nights I just want a bite of meat or fish. Two little meat balls or a small piece of steamed fish in my soup keeps me from opening and closing the fridge all night constantly looking for something else to eat. These are choices I have made for myself and found that they work for me.
Roger also wrote. Eat as much as you want, anytime that you want. Just keep it LDL. That part of his book was always my favorite part..LOL..when I do this. It becomes a WOE and a WOL for me. Also, on the days I just feel like grazing. I do, just keeping it LDL. I totally forget about the part he wrote about
"try to go as long as you can before your next meal" how convenient of me huh? Because on some days, waiting 20 minutes ( or even 5) is like waiting a life time too me! I laugh now, because that's how it was for me in the beginning. Now, more time passes and I don't even think of food and then when I go to prepare my food. It's LDL. That's a good day to me..
:ymhug: :ymhug:
Zesti
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Some great advice! Thank you so much. Mind is much at ease. I hope I have done this ticker thingy right. Actually I have never really had cravings for anything in particular, just food in general. This was before LDL and now in the present. My main problem is that I was always used to a huge variety of foods, changed menus constantly and now is very restrictive compared. I had dried apple slices while everyone else had scones jam and cream at church and I had no interest at all in what everyone else is eating. I must admit, the other day was a Potluck dinner and because I hate being different to everyone I just didn't go. Summer time will be much easier because of the cold food and salads etc.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Jeni,

I am just curious. What food(s) do you find restrictive? What "variety" of foods are you missing?
When I think of being restricted to anything on the LDL program, it's white bread, white pasta and of course sugar. When I stay away from the first two, I really don't want or crave the other two.
I love my spaghetti sauce on top of spiral zucchini and/or butter nut squash.
Before I leave the house for any function now. I load up on LDL. Such as the Texas Caviar. then when I am standing in the buffet line, I can be picker about what I am choosing to eat. I stay away from that Mac N cheese saying I am allergic to it. I am not, but there are so many others that are lactose intolerant around me, that I don't have to say much more after that. And, I make sure that I have something already and waiting for me at home in case I didn't eat. But, so far. I am able to load my plate with stuff making it look like I'll never go hungry again! Isn't that what we are suppose to do at a Buffet?..LOL..Mostly salad, even fried chicken. I can peel the skin off now. It's a better choice.
In all honesty here. When I look around me at a buffet and see "one of those people" those that can walk away with a normal size plate of food, or very selective choices. I am in awe. My DH does this. He is a VERY picky eater. I always found myself wishing I could be like him. He will always be slim and never have a weight problem.
Even now, when we go to a buffet. I will ask him to fix me a plate, same things he is having, while I sit and yak with a friend. That's working out real well for me. At first, he would come back and I wanted to say.
" Really DH"? 32 dishes of food up there and all you could find were 4 things you like? But, I bit my tongue and just received my plate from him with gratitude. Believe me, that man has never walked away hungry from any table. He just picks and chooses what he eats. And the only comments I hear are "oh how nice to have your husband wait on you".
I have made the decision that I can do the same thing now. I love it when someone comes up to me at a buffet and says "is that all your eating"? or "wow, your plate looks so healthy". There is NO food in the world that can replace the feeling I have at that moment! I just became "one of those" people!
There are moments like that just waiting for you around the corner. Go for the challenge girl. You can do do this !!
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I also shopped at thrift stores and found the best ones in town. As far as variety, I try recipes from all over the world. I love to experiment and try the recipes on the board. I use more beans than I have ever eaten in my whole life and the more I eat the, the more I like them. I am losing my taste for a lot of foods I used to eat. I feel good and I am losing slowly, but still losing. Apparently I wore clothes than were tight, because they still fit only they are longer and look better on me! =)) You go girlfriend!!
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Okay, the foods I miss are not the sweet stuff but the dairy and nuts. I really miss the cheeses, cream, yoghurt and milk and I used to put nuts in a lot of things. I miss being able to use chicken thighs and also sour dough bread and coconut cream in curries.
If I had gone to the pot luck this is what I would have faced........
cheese platters with crackers, mini pies, sausage rolls, hot dogs and sandwiches. the main courses would have had cheese, rice, noodles and fatty meat in like ham and bacon. some would have had potato and other non acceptable grains. Being winter there wouldn't have been any salads. All the desserts of course would have been out. Bread rolls would have been served as well.
Now, What would there have been for me to eat? ZERO!
I really should try some more exotic main meals.
I tried this recipe that someone gave me for waffles. It was purely grated sweet potato and egg. Well, I tried it with grated pumpkin and it was a disaster. Maybe with some beans in it might have worked.
thanks for the replies. Jeni
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Bethesda- When I have attended a sewing conference or even a wedding where I didn't expect to find appropriate foods, I take my own. My go to "gourmet menu" for sewing conferences is a can of three bean salad, a can of pineapple in its own juice, and a can opener. I take a plastic fork and a couple napkins from the food line, open both cans and drain the liquid, and eat right out of the cans. It's crude, but filling and I have saved myself from weight-loss disaster and saved at least $10 at the food line! Where there is a will, there is a way. At some events popped corn is available. There I can order off the menu- bottled water and popped corn.

At home, try some new recipes. There are thousands on the boards. I tend to make a lot of soups for our lunches. I alternate between beef and chicken and between a tomato base, a broth base, and a "creamed" (blended beans) base. With various vegetables, beans, and seasoning additions you never need to eat the same soup twice, although I tend to make enough soup for 3-4 days and freeze leftovers for "emergency" meals.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Experimenting with recipes and finding out what satisfies you is VERY importand. I have found that just a little very slim piece of Swiss cheese goes a long way with me now. A corn thin, a little chicken and a slice of cheese in my toaster oven...heaven on earth on some days. A little grated "good" parmesan cheese goes a long way. I used to be a cheese freak but not any more. After all the reading I did on the stuff and cows, poor cow's, I lost my taste for it. But, my DH is loving Chicken Alfredo lately. Weird, he used to never go near the stuff. Hey, we all change. I make it now LDL. Using white beans, garlic a little evoo and a TBSP of grated parm. Thin sauce with FF chicken broth. I sprinkle his with a little fresh parm when serving, but not mine, and I have mine on top of zucchini noodles as he has his on pasta STILL! and a salad on the side. It's very filling and satisfying to me. It's a dish I make only when he asked. So, I am sure to keep frozen zucchini noodles on hand. And, I keep my cheese in the freezer. That stuff is just to expensive to waste...
I don't think there is anything wrong with yogurt occasionally. I am experiencing with organic LF Kiefer now. It taste like real yogurt (and it is real) and is really strong! but sipping on that keeps me away from wanting or thinking about anything else in the dairy family. Staying away from all processed foods is my goal. Cooking with fresh ingredients is a challenge sometimes, but I like that.
I have experimented with coconut cream WOW! that stuff is awesome! I look forward to my next curry. On a day when I need a little fat in my diet and know I won't go over board. And, now using beans as the actual "cream" and the coconut as a topper or a "smoother for the curry. A little goes a long way, and I am in control.
WHEN you do go to your next reunion. You will get the "I am the healthiest award" and feel better about yourself and be the Bell Of the Ball!. Eat Healthy (LDL) and the skinny will follow. You can and will do this GF.
Zesti
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I agree with Zesti, I eat greek yogurt when I make Tzaziki sauce for falafels. I really like middle eastern and meditaranian foods. I lived in Turkey for 2 years and loved the cuisine. Lemon and EVOO is my favorite salad dressing and I found that if you make a big salad and put the Lemon and EVOO on it it will stay crisp. Just don't put salt or seasoning on it till you are ready to eat. I am experimenting with soy milk and cheese but haven't found any substitutes. Life is abundant with variety.
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Oh, I don't think I could bring myself to go to a potluck with 2 cans, a can-opener and spoon. :))
Now, how do I make frozen zucchini pasta please?
It is quite difficult here at the moment with Winter in full swing. Fresh produce is extremely expensive and it is very limited as well. the only grapes are from America and over $12 a kilo.
Also some of the items in the recipes are just not available at all. Nearly everything has sugar in in some form and no fat is not available only low fat. Then again, sometimes I can get Corn Thins for $1 a packet.
Turkey breast, if available at all would be over $30 a kilo. Of course I make do with chicken breast. We can buy huge turkey legs but they are too fatty. Whole turkey is only available at Christmas time and most of it is pre-seasoned and with added oil etc.
I couldn't get that tracking thing to work and although I did weigh myself at the beginning of the diet I didn't do any measuring etc.
I think you all are amazing. :YMAPPLAUSE:
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Jeni- We are so fortunate in North America and can have pretty much any fresh produce year-round. When I was in Australia and New Zealand a few years ago, It was October and I was so surprised at the costs of fresh meat and produce. I guess you will have to make do with canned fruits and vegetables until your harvest comes in. Where there is a will, there is a way. Even if it involves canned foods, a can opener, and a spoon :ymdevil: ;;) :)) !!!

Just about all processed foods we have are filled with sugar, trans fats, and other poisons. Icky!!! The food manufacturers do not have our health in mind. Eat the best you can. Like I've said before, this is not a race or a quick-weight loss plan. It's a way of eating for life. You are doing so well.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Omalani, you seem to have had a very interesting life. You lived in Turkey for 2 years. I'll bet there are stories to tell.

Also, I read some things about unfermented soy products that have caused me to stay away from soy. I do use soy sauce, but the tamari kind, which is fermented. Something about unfermented soy that causes problems due to estrogen. I don't fully understand, but a friend of mine had growths on her ovaries and read something about this. She had been drinking soy milk and using soy. She discontinued the use of soy and her issue with the growths went away.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Currently I do not use many soy products and I use the non-wheat soy sauce as well. My diet is 90% LDL and legumes are my basic protein. I use the TVP, which is dried soy bean curd after it has been frozen. I occasionally have, cheese or Greek yogurt. I do not have much use for soy milk as I do not eat cereal. (big trigger for me as I used to eat it for dessert) I have even found that adding oatmeal to my bean loafs or patties can stir up old cravings so I do not eat oatmeal for breakfast either. Some can use it but not me for now. My biggest problem is the stress of the divorce which produces cortisol in my body and also sleep disturbances. God is with me and helping me all the way. Just this morning I was talking to one of my exercise buddies and she reminded me that when people are addicted to drugs or alcohol they develope relationship with their drinking buddies or their drug suppliers but have trouble establishing relationships with God and others. When they quit, they have to develope new pathways in the brain and relationships must be started on a different level. I have had a lot of family relationships, and a relationships with God starting as a child. My only grandparent and many uncles, aunts and cousins lived nearby so we got together often to be with my aging grandmother. My expectations as I get older were to be close to my children and grandchildren, brother and sister, nieces and nephews and friends. Our more mobile society have changed that a lot. I find myself redeveloping my plans. I am embracing the changes and God is showing me that He has more blessings for me than I ever imagined. I am learning so much. Life is so full of wonderful things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as our King.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Jeni,
Gosh how frustrated I would be too. Those are ALL my favorite groups of food..I feel your pain..
I buy a lot of CB all the time. I double up on turkeys during Nov, our Thanksgiving month. I even buy 2 and 3 whole turkeys and cut them up. Stores get so competitive with the prices and they really start to go down. This includes fresh and organic too. I will de-bone them for ground turkey and I roast the bones and make lots of broth for my freezer too, like I do all year long with my chicken bones.

During the summer months here and also into Fall we get a lot of zucchini. Friends pass it on from their over grown gardens, stores sell it cheap and I grow my own too. I can do so many things with it and it's still one of my favorite veggies.....
Zucchini pasta is just another fancy name for thinly sliced zucchini. Now, there is a fancy spiral machine they have out and is very popular. For years, I just used an old fashion knife and sliced them to make them look like spaghetti noodles. So I can have my pasta and eat it too..lol..any LDL sauce will do here..
I did break down and buy a spiral, I saw it on sale and couldn't pass it up. Just because the veggies I spiral are just so darn cute. I can't resist them. Especially radishes.
Zucchini noodles:
Thinly slice zucchini length wise, then slice those slices into long spaghetti noodles. WHA-LA-you now have zucchini noodles. I also do this with yellow squash, eggplant, cabbage, broccollis stems, and carrots...
Eat fresh raw, or warm up with a sauce. A simple can of tomatoes goes a long way here. Add a little evoo and you are on your way to skinny town. I make a really simple cold "pasta" salad for my GF's using a defrosted bag of my noodles... I defrost a bag of noodles onto a paper towel. Chop raw onion, garlic, tomatoes if I have one, and cilantro. They love it and we eat pounds of it, guilt free! I have to make it for any and all Just GF's Retreats... Sometimes I will just dip the noodles in hot water. and let cool and make a cold pasta salad just using a little evoo and that's it .I am right next to you on the skinny town train..

To freeze: slice zuc's into noodles. Dip in boiling water for like 5 seconds. Instantly remove and put into bowl of ice water. Drain well, pat dry with paper towel and freeze. I freeze flat in portions sizes to have cheap meals all year long. And/OR use for a last minute "I gotta take a dish but don't have anything in the house to make" take along dish.
In the middle of our winter. When I just want a pasta salad. I just defrost noodles on a paper towel.
My DH will see them and then want to make his Grandmother's Zucchini Soup Recipe. She handed down to me years and years ago. He just doesn't know it's LDL friendly. Then I have my soup and pasta too.
No complaints here!
I would also like to say here. ""If can or frozen is all you got to work with then GF. That's all you got to work with!!""
Tell us what you got and we'll add some idea's of our own to it. We are right there with you..
In the middle of grocery shopping the other day. Ms.H came to mind. I had to go all the way back to the can section to get bean salad. I bought a few can's. She does it to me every time!!. Always looking out for us!!
I do make my own too, but it's just one of those canned items I want on hand all the time. I always have a can of that and a can of pineapple sitting in my fridge. I have now found these items in glass jars in the organic section...I am REAL happy to spend that money!!
Ok. this is the last of the really long one's. I promise, ok, maybe not BUT! I will try...
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Don't apologize for long posts, we love them Zesti! You add zest to our lives and our food. I have used french cut green beans drained well and sauted in a little EVOO and garlic for pasta. I am wondering if you can use a dehydrator to make zuchini noodles?? Not that I have a dehydrator!! I am basically living out of cans. I add short cut green beans to my marinated bean salad to add low cal bulk. I can make chili with green beans as well, I also add combinations of beans and frozen corn to my chili. I like the combinations of flavors, colors and don't miss the meat. I use TVP in chili and spaghetti sauce. I love mashed chickpeas with mayo and mustard. It reminds me of egg salad sandwiches with out the cholesterol. Sometimes I add no sugar sweet relish, which is made with splenda, or use the regular but rinse the sugar syrup off. I love eating beans and they fill me up and hold me between meal. My latest favorite is an ear of corn nuked with the husks on in the micro wave. I let it cool down while I am fixing a salad. Then I take the husk and silk off, spread is with a tsp. of low fat mayo with EVOO and sprinkle it with Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning. You don't need salt at all. Well I had better get along with my moving. Life is good.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Omi,
I was trying to just keep the long one's on my journal..lol..don't want to scare anybody away!..lol..
I do have a dehydrator. I did try making the noodles "back in the day"..lol..but I sliced them to thin. They actually dehydrated real good but got so crunchy that they didn't last long in the bag. I just ended up using them in a soup at the last minute or on salads as a "crouton".
Thanks for reminding me of this. Now, I won't give up yet! I will go back to the "cooking board" as it may be, and cut thicker noodles. When I made "chips" they came out much better. It's the long shape that I want to profect. It's just so much easier having frozen on hand. I don't even need to boil water to have a wonderful "pasta" dish.
Have you tried tempheh instead of the TVP?... I used to use TVP, again, back in the day. It's really over processed. I didn't feel right after about a month. One I read up on the TVP I threw it out. It took me about a month to feel I was getting back to normal. I haven't had any since, but everyone's reaction to soy is different I know.
Hey, you gotta do the best you can with what you got. Fill up on bags of fresh salad greens when you can.
For work, I was on the road so much. I used to just run into any market, grab a bag of already cleaned salad, a pint of little cherry tomotoes. Toss them in the bag, smash one to get the juice out of a few and eat right out of the bag in my car. I also carried packets of salad dressing in my car, weather allowing of course. Anything I could do to stay away from the junk food.
zesti