Let's Do Lunch...and become NOT HUNGRY!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Bethesda

Re: Let's Do Lunch...and become NOT HUNGRY!

Post by Bethesda »

If you don't mind me asking. Zesti, has it taken you 2 years to lose 12 pounds?
Never seen bean salad in a tin or jar. What is it?
What is yellow squash? Is it a yellow zucchini?
I am getting close to the end of my frozen grapes. I will go nuts if I can't have them.
I do have one of those spiral thingies. DH doesn't mind using it. He is making me zucchini pasta to have with the pasta sauce which is on cooking. I have a mandoline too and it will do pasta type strips.
Is Tahini a no no? I have half a jar to use up. Its expensive to waste.
I have been doing a course on Rewiring the Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf. It is really good.
Does anyone have any good recipes to use salmon from a can? Other than fish cakes!!!!! Fresh salmon here is about $40 a kilo even though we are right on the sea. We have other cheaper fish though.
Has anyone made custard out of beans? I miss my custard. 8-}
We will be heading off in the caravan in a couple of weeks. I feel more confident coping now.
thanks for the ideas......Jeni.
chewy

Post by chewy »

hi omalani, how are you doing with the vegan version of LDL? i love it and find it so easy. just lots of vegetables,beans,fruits and then popcorn /corn thins. keeps it simple and totally satiating!let me know how you like it too.
chewy

Post by chewy »

hi omalani, how are you doing with the vegan version of LDL? i love it and find it so easy. just lots of vegetables,beans,fruits and then popcorn /corn thins. keeps it simple and totally satiating!let me know how you like it too.
chewy

Post by chewy »

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Hi Jeni,
if you don't mind me asking. Zesti, has it taken you 2 years to lose 12 pounds?
[color=#0000FF]I am down 18 pounds in 17 months. Trial and error! Now, I am on my way down again..YEAH![/color]
Never seen bean salad in a tin or jar. What is it?
[color=#0000FF]Instead of a tin, it's in a glass jar. Pre-made bean salads packed in water and/or oil too.
[/color]What is yellow squash? Is it a yellow zucchini?
[color=#0000FF]Almost, and is in the same "summer" squash family, has same texture as zuchini, cooks up the same way. Here we call it "crook neck and the next is crooked..[/color]
I am getting close to the end of my frozen grapes. I will go nuts if I can't have them.
[color=#0000FF]NO NUTS!! lol...I tried mandarin oranges frozen, and like those too. I have also, dipped banana's in unsweetened bakers chocolate. I ending up loving those things and it take me a long time to eat it.[/color]
I do have one of those spiral thingies. DH doesn't mind using it. He is making me zucchini pasta to have with the pasta sauce which is on cooking. I have a mandolin too and it will do pasta type strips.
[color=#0000FF]You and DH are doing fantastic!! Mandolin is great too. Almost ANY veggie can be made into strips for a pasta or thinly sliced and roasted as a chip. I love broccoli "pasta" or carrots. Those are great for a carrot pasta salad and just by adding a little stevia, a few raisins and cinnamon. It's like a dessert to me.[/color]
Is Tahini a no no? I have half a jar to use up. Its expensive to waste.
[color=#0000FF]I couldn't bring myself to throw mine out either. So, when I did use it, it was sparingly and I was well aware of what I was doing. A tsp of it can really change the flavor of a humus for a nice change.[/color]
I have been doing a course on Rewiring the Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf. It is really good.
[color=#0000FF]I haven't read the book, but's it a good idea. Once the re-wiring takes place, I did a lot better and it becomes a WOE not a diet for me.[/color]
Does anyone have any good recipes to use salmon from a can? Other than fish cakes!!!!! Fresh salmon here is about $40 a kilo even though we are right on the sea. We have other cheaper fish though.
[color=#0000FF]I have stuffed zucchini and green peppers with left over salmon mixed with crushed corn thins, rosemary, drizzled with evoo and baked. I like it. I love fresh frozen Sock eye Salmon. It's very expensive here too, so I don't let any go to waste! Oh, I have also mixed canned salmon with my hummus and had that on corn things with onion and tomato. I love that![/color]
Has anyone made custard out of beans? I miss my custard.
[color=#0000FF]I am going to go to "search" now and see if anyone has played around with it, because now you got me thinking about it..lol..I love custard.[/color]
We will be heading off in the caravan in a couple of weeks. I feel more confident coping now.
thanks for the ideas......Jeni.
You are going to do great! Where and when ever you go, just make the best healthiest choice you can make and you'll do fine...I have finally gotten that into my head! xxoo
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I have missed going to LDL daily!! The library is closed on Sunday and holidays so I haven't been on for several days. I drove up to Ankeny Iowa yesterday, it is a 10 hour trip' but it took me almost 12 hours. I did have a Diet Dr. Pepper for the caffeine to wake me up. My food consisted of: seafood salad on rye crisps, and 2 frozen peaches partially defrosted sprinkled with a little splenda. I took a bag of popcorn, an apple and bought a tuna sub salad. I put the tuna and veggies on rye crisps for lunch and had the rest of the salad for my dinner. The protein helped me stay alert and kept my blood sugar stable. It was a good trip!! I had a book on tape, so it was like having company. That is this first meat I have had in several weeks but I don't crave fast foods any more.
Bethsada asked about canned salmon, I have made egg patties with them. 1 or more eggs, depending on the quantity, some salmon, minced onion, shredded carrot, minced sweet pepper or what ever veggies and seasonings you like. Fry it in a non-stick pan. You can put low fat home-made tarter sauce on it or not. I make tarter sauce with LF mayo and LF greek yogurt with lemon pepper, minced onion and sweet pickle relish made with splenda, celery, etc. I saw a recipe for mock salmon patties without meat. they used seaweed in it, to give it a fish flavor, so I might experiment with that. It was easier when I was living with my vegetarian friend, but I have been staying with family and friends until I can get back in my house. I am so thankful for my friends and family that have been so supportive during this time. I know with winter coming I will be eating a variety of bean soups and entrees. I love beans! :x
well I better get on with my day. Life is very good.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

It is good! My devotion used Lamentations 3:19-33. God's mercies are new every day. We need to be thankful for His abundance. Love to all :ymhug: JF
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Panicking a bit. I have stalled for the last month. what do I do?
Also, how come not many new people seem to be doing LDL? Surely they would go on the forum if they had joined. the forum is invaluable.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Jeni- Sometimes our bodies need to accept that we are eating differently. Just keep eating all the good foods according to LDL guidelines and you will soon be rewarded with weight loss at the scales. I found that often when my scale was not showing a pound loss that my clothes were fitting looser.

It is a mystery why more people are not discovering LDL and coming on here for the invaluable support. Many of us joined after a magazine article over 5 years ago. I know that Roger has been trying to obtain new media coverage to get the word out to others who need this plan!

As Roger says, "Just keep keeping on."
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I have gone over a year at maintaining a fifty lb. loss and intend to lose 60 lbs. more. As long as I feel good and my labs are improving, I am happy. I am going through a stressful period and in the past I could have gained 60 lbs. Keep on the program and remember it's not a contest and the numbers on the scale not not important. Life is good.
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Omalani, if you don't mind me asking, why are you not continuing to lose weight? Is it because you are not sticking to the diet strictly? I realize that stress in our lives makes diets difficult. I am a depressant and whereas a lot of depressants give up eating, I am the opposite. I feel like eating all the time.
When folk have lost as much as they need to, what do they do? I presume they stick to the right LDL foods. But what actually do they do differently to those of us who are losing?
On the surface I can see that LDL appears to be an easy diet but actually I can see very very few of my overweight friends doing it because it does require a great deal of discipline. Not many of them would be able to manage having the main meal in the middle of the day, be able to manage the eating out and socializing aspect or cope with a family all eating different things. It is easier for me because I am retired, have an extremely supportive husband and we are not great socializers. In other words I don't have many excuses do I? ( apart from the fact of ill health making it difficult to exercise and after 4 months my intestines have not adjusted to all the beans and I don't just mean gas. (which isn't a problem anyway).
Bless you.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

My adherence to this way of eating was very strict at first. I was very motivated because I had skin cancer surgery which left a big dime sized wound on the right side of my nose. I had plastic surgery the next day and had a flap graft to cover the wound. I knew from a diet I was on in a 12 step plan for overeaters, that when I gave up wheat, rice, potatoes, pasta, and sugars, that not only did the puffiness in my face go down but I didn't have episodes of an allergic runny nose and didn't even catch colds as often. Having 2 surgeries in 2 days was about all the swelling my face could handle. Also the last thing I needed was an upper respiratory illness or allergic symptoms. I healed rapidly with only a slightly visible scar. That was in October, 2012. I retired in May,2013 and that is when the difficulties started. I made less money and spent more time with my husband to discover that we have incompatible lifestyles and he was unwilling to get financial or marriage counseling. I feared for my life when he would fly into a rage and would retreat to my daughter's house. I felt God was telling me that I needed to get out of the way, or he would never be saved. I finally filed for divorce in April this year and have been living here and there with family and friends since then. My husband was granted permission to stay in the house, even though it has been my house since 1989. I pay the mortgage, insurance and taxes, while he is responsible for his own living expenses and upkeep. My daughter moved to Alaska and I helped with the kids during the move and stayed in Alaska for a while. He has been prolonging the divorce and thinks I will give him the house, part of my retirement and alimony. Like I said, I am surprised that I haven't gained weight. I have a hard time with portion control and this is the only WOE that I enjoy. I was looking at pictures of my granddaughter's wedding taken the month before my surgery and I was shocked because I don't remember being that big. I am comfortable where I am at and though I would like to lose more, I do not feel very motivated and it has been difficult in this semi-homeless state. Two things keep me going: God's infinite mercy and grace and the relationships I have with my friends and family. I try to stay as close to the guidelines as I can but I do eat things I shouldn't. My granddaughter told me I looked more toned and she is so proud of me for keeping off the weight I lost. I am not in any hurry as long as I feel good and I have not been depressed in spite of the circumstances I am currently in. I have spent a good deal of my life battling depression so that is a miracle in itself. I am soon to be 72 years old and I do not want to live my life the way I have lived the last 10 years. We all have differences but if you stick to this plan, you will lose weight and have better health. Don't compare yourself with others because you are unique. I envy you having a supportive husband. Live well and laugh a lot.
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Hello Omalami. So grateful you shared your story. How difficult it must be for you to cope with divorce etc at your age. I too am 71 and turning 72 next January. Some times I wonder if I am just too old to bother. We have major issues with our only daughter being estranged from us and our son living many hours drive away from us. I lost my only sibling (sister) 2 years ago. She died basically from being morbidly obese and medicinal drug abuse. she was only 60.
After being on a plateau for a month I am pleased to say I lost another 2 pounds which makes a total of 21 pounds lost. I will be able to go on a trip keeping pretty strictly to LDL and forget about weighing for a while. Meanwhile I have to be careful that DH doesn't lose weight as well as he will drop 4 pounds in a couple of weeks if he restricts his food at all. Everyone says he is too skinny.
Blessings to you and hope you get settled soon. Love Jeni. x0
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

No you are not too old and if you stay on the LDL plan, your body will be healthier. You will live longer and have more energy to do the things you want to do. I do enjoy eating and that is what makes this WOE so great. I have had periods of estrangement with children or grandchildren and found that sometimes when children have a different lifestyle they reject you. They may come back in your life when they mature some. But I know how painful that can be, and my usual response is to eat, but having things that I can eat helps a lot. Life is good, especially when you consider the alternative. Keep up the good choices, it will change your life and your body.
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Hello everyone. Well, I am back from our caravan trip and pleased to say that I lost 1 kilo in the month I was away. I was only expecting really to maintain as there were times when I couldn't be as strict as I would have liked. I really missed my frozen grapes (no freezer) and a few other things were not possible. I did manage however and took my popcorn maker etc.
I am pretty well set into the routine now and a few people have commented on my weight loss. Had a big clothes toss out as I have gone down one dress size at least.
There is no way I can manage on just 3 meals a day though. I just can't eat large amounts at one time so I am having a morning snack, afternoon snack and evening snack but eating all the right things. Main meal with meat, chicken, fish is pretty well always lunch.
If we go out I will take my own snack which is usually something made from popcorn flour, dates, bananas or such and this way I don't feel too much left out. I also will take my chickpea, banana pancakes. If I have to order a mail meal I stick to roast of the day and or veges or salad. No bread or sweets of course.
Grapes are still difficult as out of season here and I am having to buy really expensive American grapes so am limiting them. Soon our tropical fruits will be coming in season which will make for some variety.
My bowel after 4 months or so is still not adjusting to all the beans, peas, corn etc. I guess it is something I will just have to live with. Its not a gas problem, just a greater slow down due to the fibre.
My arthritis has been quite bad which makes exercise difficult and I had a fall (no broken bones Praise the Lord) due to pushing myself a bit much.
Hubby has a tendency to follow my pattern of eating and he lost 3 kilos on the trip which he cannot afford to lose so now I am trying to fatten him up. LOL.
Hope everyone is doing well. :-BD
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Hi Jeni,
Been enjoying reading about your journey in LDL.
I too have had slow motility problems and it is an issue that slows the weight loss.
A couple years before LDL I was having serious gas issues with nearly everything I ate.
I heard about the need for probiotics and began taking them.
The gas issue completely resolved and I felt so much better.
When I started LDL in November 2009 it took 5 months of strict LDL eating before I lost anything.
But then 15 or 20 pounds seemed to fall off over night.
I was doing well and not having much problem with gas so I only took probiotics occassionally.
This past year I have been more aware of the slow motility.
There were times when I felt my whole colon was completely full all the time and I only passed daily the amount I ate that day. It is a terrrible bloated feeling and not normal. We are supposed to empty out and I can definitely tell the difference when I do.
So now I take the probiotics daily.....they do help the motility.
And when I feel like I am "backed up" I take an Asai Berry Cleanse.
Just take something natural occassionally.
You will feel the difference. Hope this helps.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

thanks Linda. Now I come to think of it I haven't had any probiotics since being onLDL. I have taken them in the past with no effect but I should give them a go on this new diet I guess. With colonic inertia and no desire to have a bag I take lots of magnesium and other stuff which may well slow down weight loss.....but hey, I am on something that is working for the first time in my life so I am not complaining. the charity shop got a huge pile of clothes this morning. Quite a few people are commenting on my weight loss but none of them are prepared to go to the extreme I have gone to. (yes, they think LDL is extreme because they have read about it.) they don't like the idea of a lifetime of eating this way.
For breakfast I whizzed up popcorn and frozen corn, spring onion and parsley and an egg and made patties and ate them with cooked tomatoes. Needs a bit of extra seasoning I think but ok. Lunch was a stir fry with tempeh and lots of veges and tea will be a banana shake and some crispbread. My snacks will be dried apple slices, corn thins and popcorn and frozen grapes.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I thank God because He woke me up this morning and it's a beautiful day. I hurried to the library and knew there would be a lot of post to read. I did well on Friday and Saturday and most of Sunday. I went to my friend's for dinner and to watch her televised segment on med-watch. She had a gastric sleeve surgery 3 months :ymsick: ago and they are following her progress. After a big salad for dinner (which I picked all the croutons out of), she brought out some sugar free chocolates and wanted me to try them. She said, "only eat 2 because they can cause diarrhea and horrible gas pains." However, she gave me a sample of different candies to take home. The 2 I ate were very good and after I got home, I figured, if they give me diarrhea, maybe they will go straight through and I won't get the calories. Of course I was completely ignoring the fact that they are highly processed and full of fat and chemicals.I ate them all!! :ymsick: :ymsick: I will not eat them again!! I suffered terribly all night long and still have some gas pains. I am not eating anything until this passes and I fill hunger again. I saw some refrigerator boxes at the apartment so this may be the day I get my fridge!! :ymparty: I have a bunch of grapes to freeze!! Veggies, eggs and butter to refrigerate. I will make a big pot of beans and LP's "Knock your socks off" soup. I can finally eat my own cooked meals and leftovers. PLEASE learn from my mistakes and stay away from chocolate flavored chemicals!! Life is a learning experience and so far I have 100% survival rate, thank God. ^:)^
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

I made this stuff which is a substitute for custard to have with fruit. I used a tin of chickpeas, 2 bananas. 1/4 cup rolled oats, vanilla, 2 slices of pineapple, stevia and some water and juice and blended it up furiously. No cooking. It is quite nice with fruit.
I am no recipe expert. Maybe it is already in the recipes or maybe someone could fiddle with it.
I did the spinach stuffed chicken breast for lunch today. Well, it wasn't exactly stuffed. More like layered, chicken on the bottom, spinach mix in the middle and chicken on the top. It was really lovely.
I know how to make mince (hamburger to you). The really cheap one become as lean as chicken breast. You fry it up, drain off the fat, pour through boiling water, then pour through more boiling water and all the fat is supposed to be gone. I use half this with half turkey breast mince but I have a feeling I should be doing the same with the turkey mince as well. No idea what they might sneak in.
Because I didn't want to run another fridge and having so much fresh stuff wouldn't fit into our medium sized fridge, I bought a really big cooler box and I put ice blocks and cooler bricks in and it keeps stuff cool. It will be especially helpful in the summer holidays when we have a lot of visitors.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Jeni,
Your LDL custard sounds yummy
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...