Seriously LDL --- The Time is Now!!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
tres

Re: Seriously LDL --- The Time is Now!!

Post by tres »

Welcome back Tonya.  So glad to have more people coming back.  Newbies like me need the insight!

Tres
If you are what you eat...then I'm a fruit!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I don't think I reported back that I bought a recumbent bike -- an xterra.  It is working well and my husband used it and will be exercising now.  So happy about that.  Also, because it is a walk through bike, my mom can easily get on it and use it.  I hadn't thought of that when we bought it -- so that is great too.  She sits way to much in her easy chair watching TV. 

Anyway, I have used it 3 times so far, as I'm following Dr. Mercola's instructions for Peak 8 Fitness and you have to rest a day in between.  It is quite intense.  You are supposed to warm up for 3 minutes easy pedaling.  Then you do 30 seconds full blown pedaling, 90 seconds recovery -- you do this 8 times.  The benefits are great and it only takes 20 minutes 3 times a week.  Your body begins to produce HGH (human growth hormone) which supposedly makes you younger.  I'm going to work my way up to 8 times, but today I did do it 7 times!!  It is so hard to go 30 seconds.  You do it for 10 seconds and then you start slowing down and toward the end you just don't think you'll make it.  It is something about using your fast twitch muscle fibers -- which you don't use unless you sprint or use those big muscles in a full blown way.  It is supposed to be great for your heart.  I'll post something on it next time I run across it.  If you get Dr. Mercola's newletter, you can look it up.  He even has some videos of him doing it. 

God bless everyone and have a great weekend.
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

I'd love to hear more about this. I have a recumbent bike that doesn't get used.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weAJS0m/]
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I'll look for the info and post it for you.

Here it is:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitnes ... cises.aspx
Last edited by crickadoodle on November 10th, 2012, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Wow!!  I just finished my Peak 8 Fitness routine -- and did all 8 intervals for the first time.  It only takes about 20 minutes but is intense for 8 30 second intervals.  You feel like you can't do it, but then you finish.  I am really noticing a difference already and my husband noticed too.  He said my body is changing in shape -- I can tell, but didn't know someone else could.  I've only been doing it a week.  I can really feel it in my abdominal area -- not pain, but the fat going away.  After watching the video I posted in the previouse post, I am going to do what it says about eating the meal after the routine.  Your body will produce HGH -- human growth hormone, which they say really should be called the fitness hormone -- and the man on the video calls it a fat seeking hormone.  For the two hours after the routine it is looking for fat to gobble up -- but if you eat sugars, it turns it off.  Now I don't eat white sugar, but fruit would be considered sugar -- so I'm going to see if it makes a difference to eat high protein after this workout -- which I try to do in the AM before I eat breakfast.  My plan for the week is to eat an omelet for breakfast and then fruit after at least 2 hours.  I'll report back if this makes any difference.

Oh, and my scale registered a slight loss from before my cold -- 0.2 lbs., but that is just fine with me.  I'm certain I'm losing fat, and will be building muscle too, so my weight loss and fat loss might be two totally different things.  High intensity interval training like Peak 8 will cause you to gain muscle, so that I'll look slimmer, but might even gain lbs.  The point is to be healthier and slimmer and stronger, not particulary to be lighter in weight. 

Hope everyone has a great week!!  I'm counting on it.  :thumbsup:  *hug*
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

I'm watching the videos right now.  With the bike they have the program is already set.  For your bike do you just keep an eye on the time and go full pace for 30 seconds and then slow for 1-1/2 minute?

Lordy, that guy is in shape so I can only imagine how hard this is!!!  Amazing that you did this!  Congratulations!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Tonya -- I just watch the time on my bike.  There might be a program for it or maybe it could be programmed for it, but I haven't read my book very well.  It works great like it is, so I might not read it.  ;) 

I realized once I started doing it, that I just do it as fast as I can.  Someone else can do it much faster than me, but I can do it like I can do it.  I get the benefits, even though I'm not nearly as fast as a trained athlete.  It's about the benefits.  My heart rate still goes up and my body will still produce the human growth hormone.  My husband hasn't exercised in years, so he is just doing 4 of the reps right now.  He'll build up to 8 before we know it.  I'm so excited he is doing this too -- and even Mom got on it for about 9 min. today.  She isn't doing the peak 8, of course, but it did get her moving her legs. 
tonz2day

Post by tonz2day »

Thanks for the info.  You should still be proud!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

I really think this exercise will be so beneficial.  I'm excited about it.  Yesterday, my husband almost did it 6 times.  He got a cramp part of the way through the 6th time, but I was so excited he did so well.  He'll be at 8 really soon!!

I even did 1 set of my exercises with weights yesterday.  Supposedly with this Peak 8 releasing HGH, you are supposed to build muscle better.  We'll see.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Monday stats:

Doctor's appt last Friday weight was 352 lbs. So I am down 28 lbs in two months.

Even the old scale at home has me at 335 which is obviously not my real weight but prior to last week it never went above 340 regardless of how heavy I got!

But here's the good news: As I sit were I am wearing an old pair of size 46 jeans. Two months ago I was wearing size 50! They are probably stretched so worse case scenario, I am now a 48.

Next doctor's appt is in February. He still has me on the blood pressure meds. He now says he'll take me off of them if things continue to go well (originally it was loose 30 lbs and then he would take me off). I think now that I'm motivated he is going to wave a carrot in front of my nose..................now that he knows I eat carrots!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Congratulations, Joe! You're getting there, in spite of the scale messing with your mind.

I'm glad you were listening to other telltale signs, rather than just the scale. They are SUCH liars sometimes.

Love the video by you and your son, btw. Congratulations on all those steps! I love that kind of challenge.

I want to be ready for a 12k run/walk next May, and then a half marathon in June. Don't have time to spend hours at a time on the treadmill (forget about walking on the road most days here in North Idaho right now), so I figure walking intervals on the treadmill will have to do -- as fast as I can on max incline until I'm out of breath, then catch my breath on the flat, and repeat several times.

A few years ago on a mission trip to China, my young helper hiked up a mountain with me -- 3400+ stairs, plus a couple miles of uphill road (starting at 5200 feet). Boy was I sore for a couple of days! Everybody else from the city was taking the easy way up -- ancient chair lift with unraveling cables! The hike up was definitely an aerobic exercise, but the trip down those stairs was a killer on the legs.

You'll be telling us in no time that your doctor ended the blood pressure meds! Way to go!

Terri
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

tprouty wrote:
Love the video by you and your son, btw. Congratulations on all those steps! I love that kind of challenge.

Terri

You should look at the original movie. You can see it on youtube and compare it what you saw on our video!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Way to go, Joe!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  JF
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Joe!!  I love good news.  You are doing great.

Well, my weight went up, but clothes are fitting nicely.  I think I'll have to give it time to get used to the exercise I'm doing.  I'm not feeling sad about it, because I feel healthier and that is the important thing.  We did eat night time meals a couple of times and that affects my weight too. 

I am into my third week of Peak 8 Fitness.  I love it -- but not particularly while I'm doing it.  You have to give it 100%.  When I'm done I really feel I've accomplished something.  :thumbsup: 

Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving!  I'm thankful for good LDL friends!!  *hug*  (and a whole lot more!)
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

:laughing:   :laughing:    :laughing:   :laughing:

I'm laughing at myself, because I was thinking today was Monday and I'd have to report on my weight again!!   :laughing:   :laughing:

Well, I'm not expecting a loss.  Not because I'm eating horribly, but because I think I'm really building muscle with this Sprint 8 exercise I'm doing.  It really is supposed to, since it causes you to produce HGH (human growth hormone).  It is pretty amazing so far.  I'm looking forward to Christmas, which will be my 8th week on it.   I'm eating good, but am needing to eat more protein in the AM right after I do the exercise -- no sweets until at least 2 hrs. afterward to get the full benefit of the HGH.  That means I don't eat fruit until after that.  Anyway, muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space and my jeans are fitting just fine, so it's all good.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!
Last edited by crickadoodle on November 23rd, 2012, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

OK, I'm up a little, but not discouraged!!  I'm feeling great, eating healthy, and exercising well.  My clothes are fitting nicely and I'm going to continue doing what I know is right -- even if the scale isn't so friendly about it.  :) 

My sprint 8 recumbent exercise bike exercise is going well.  I find the speed I'm doing it is going a little faster and my heart rate is recovering a little faster, it appears.  My husband has been doing it too and this makes me very happy.  It is very good exercise and is really efficient, so he doesn't have to do more than 20 min. every other day.  That is just 1 hour a week -- and even though he works hard at his own business, he can make time for 1 hour a week.  He said it is giving him more energy.  :thumbsup:  :inlove:  I want him around a long time!!
tres

Post by tres »

Crick, I'm intrigued by this exercise you are doing.  I'm getting so bored with my elliptical machine and walking.  Do you still walk?

Tres
If you are what you eat...then I'm a fruit!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I was up too but very quickly coming back down.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Tres, it can be done on an elliptical -- and could be even better done on that, since you work both arms and legs.  I'll find the video and post it here.

Here is the article, but it also has the video on it.  It will show you how to do it with an elliptical, so you don't have to purchase a new piece of equipment.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitnes ... thons.aspx

And I found another:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitnes ... rview.aspx
Last edited by crickadoodle on November 29th, 2012, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

After three weeks in Wisconsin cooking all sorts of fattening foods (my 91 old dad needs all the calories) I am proud to announce that I did not again any inches and all clothes still fit just fine.  So now back to speed skating sprints and LDL and I should lose that inch before the end of the year.

Hoope everyone else is doing good.

RB Kayaking