frustration

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
CathyK817
New, but learning

Re: frustration

Post by CathyK817 »

I can't tolerate the beano or most anti-gas products because they further distress my GI system.  Not an option, regretfully.
niki

Post by niki »

hi cathy..then go back to plan be and gradually all beans...try the pureed beans AND lentil soup....
  ALSO try boiling, rinsing,boiling,rinsing...do it twice...and cook the bean longer than you normally would to make them REALLY soft............keep me posted............niki   
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

And if you're using canned beans, rinsing them thoroughly also makes a big difference.
bleego
New, but learning

Post by bleego »

Excuse me for jumping in here. But if I am using canned beans , such as Bush's and there is no sugar in them, do I still need to rinse? I haven't been. If it says they have sugar ,I rinse approx 3 times. Is this right?
Barb
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi, Bleego! Does Bush's make just canned beans other than their baked beans? If so, I don't think I've seen them in our NY stores. There are so many brands on the shelf anyway. I usually just get the store brands as they always seem to be on sale. If you're looking to use just regular canned beans, then yes please do rinse them 2 or 3 times to get rid of all that extra salt and sodium that they put in the canning liquid. Don't need any of that at all! Bon appetit! :) nm
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

I don't know where I heard this or if it is even true, but it seem's I was once told that refried beans do not produce flatulence.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
bleego
New, but learning

Post by bleego »

Hi nyKath,

Yes Bush has several different kinds of beans and veggies. I know the baked beans here from Bush have sugar, so those are not. But none of the other beans from Bush have sugar in them.  This is their link, they have so many beans, and believe me I utilize just about all of them.
http://www.bushbeans.com/

Maybe you could ask your favorite super market to order them.

Anyway I have only been rinsing veggies or beans that have sugar in them.
Barb
bleego
New, but learning

Post by bleego »

I usually don't worry about the sodium for myself. My bp actually goes way low, like 70/44. I have never resalted anything I eat.
Barb
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

Maybe for some Beano is the wonder tablet/drop.  For others, it doesn't work all that wel, if at all.  I have found that certain beans are better than others.  For instance, kidney seems better than the worst...pintos. Now, I'm a son of the south and grew up on pinto beans.  However, nowadays even Beano isn't much of a help. If you can find cranberry beans try those.  They seem to be pretty good, too.  If those still distress then I would use beans very sparingly such as a few on a salad to add some bulk to it.

Another one that I find distressing is soybeans.  They are gas producers, too.

CathyK817 wrote:I tried but no luck.  Thanks anyway. 

I'm doing my little research study in a week or two to try to add things back in one thing at a time and see what it is that does not seem to agree with me.  I'm suspicious that it may be certain beans and I was doing a lot of different types of beans in different recipes all at once.  I have eaten them before with less problem so I'm going to give it a whirl.  Still, I'm enjoying feeling better again and will wait a while before changing the mix again. 

Thanks for the suggestion.
CathyK817
New, but learning

Post by CathyK817 »

Update!!!
Ok, going back to my plan of doing without a lot of beans but eating otherwise according to plan, I've now managed to lose a total of 25.3 pounds in 11 weeks.  I've managed to put some beans back into my daily plan at a slow pace and just using a few.  I feel so much better.  Nowhere near the distress.  Thanks so much for the suggestions above.  I am quite pleased with the resumed progress to say the least! 
niki

Post by niki »

hi cathy...that's great that you're losing so well and that you have been able to tolerate adding some beans back into your diet...keep up the good work.........niki
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

OH MY GRACIOUS, Cathy!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!  Congratulations to you!  Amazing!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
CathyK817
New, but learning

Post by CathyK817 »

It really, really is.  I'm amazed.  I still have to learn to be patient with myself for the plateaus but after years of not losing anything at all no matter what I tried, I'm very pleased.  My husband is also really pleased and is much more positive in his comments.  He is really trying to be supportive even though he's a basic meat and potatoes fan.  I know I can do this!!  It's exciting to be able to do this and have people say...but you never complain about being hungry or missing any foods.  And it seems like you eat a LOT when you eat.  I do!!  Smiles all over the place!!    :D
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Smokin', Cathy! That's fabulous success! And still in progress, too. Way to go! :) nyKath
niki

Post by niki »

my daughter walked in the kitchen where i was eating some ldl allowable food(probably popcorn)and told me "i don't know how you're going to lose weight...you're always eating".......that was 30 pounds ago....and i hadn't lost weight ANY WAY i tried....that's why i call myself a former lost cause with a junk food habit....
  just keep trying(everyone)to sneak those bean soups in...you won't be sorry.............niki
Last edited by niki on September 13th, 2006, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Cathy,
I was wondering if anyone else had IBS problems with this diet so I used my handy dandy search button and came across these posts from you about it.  There is wayyyyy more food going in and less coming out than should be and I'm drinking two big smoothies a day and grapes and tons of corn and beans so something bigger should be happening and Im starting to get really bloated.  I felt encouraged that I wasnt the only one who had felt like that in the beginning.  I will make a mental note to increase my water tomorrow with the hope that will get things moving along.  Hopefully my body will start adjusting to eating this way and they symptoms will lessen.  Thats so great we have these boards to share with one another all the things we deal with pleasant AND UNPLEASANT and hopefully what we said is able to help others some day.
God Bless
Debbie
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Cathy:
Try using refried beans, I use the Rosarita brand low fat black bean version (no lard used). Supposedly, in the refried process, the food loses it's ability to raise gastrointestinal havoc.

Joe
Last edited by joecaracappa on September 14th, 2006, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.