70 by Prom

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
RB Kayaking
Master Member

70 by Prom

Post by RB Kayaking »

I caught the Rachel Ray show on Friday.  She was talking about a young girl that wants to lose 70 pounds by prom.  Rachel actually had a cooking segment with her which while wasn't complicated was way more difficult than a non-cook would be happy doing.

The girl didn't show up for the Friday weigh-in.  Rachel said she had problems with Thanksgiving.

My take on it is this:  No one in this girl's family cooks and are all overweight.  Rachel gives her a personal class in front of millions and then gives her a ton of pots and pans.  Then the girl is sent home to cook all her meals.  She's totally out of her comfort zone (me cook healthy) and even though she knows she needs to cook in order to lose weight she just isn't going to do it.

I'm thinking that the schools need to bring back home economics and make it mandatory for all students.  Cooking is not hard.  It just requires a commitment.

Any thoughts?

RB Kayaking
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: 70 by Prom

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I agree that these girls need to learn to cook.  My niece has no idea how to make a healthy meal nor does my new daughter in law.  Thank goodness my son took home economics in highschool and loves to cook.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

My mother was a terrific cook, and I watched what she did.  I also had sisters and sister-in-laws who were great cooks.  My  daughter is a great cook, and her daughter also cooks.  When my daughter-in-law came into our family, she couldn't cook, but our son could.  She now does a good job.  I took home economics for one year in school.  I think it should be required for at least one semester.  The boys would also benefit from it.  Girls should be able to do shop for one semester and learn the basics on leveling, hanging pictures, tighten screws, and  to fix small repairs.  Some families always eat out, and at home sandwiches.  We're a fast food society.  :thumbsup:  JF 
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

RB.. that is SOOOOO true...

After 16 years of being a STay at Home Mama, I have begun a new career TEACHING COOKING AND CULINARY ARTS to high school students at my son's Christian High School here in So Calif.

I get to teach 45 students A DAY about this way of eating and cooking and it's been sooooo fantastic!!!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Home Ec was mandatory for girls in 7th grade. Half a year was cooking and the other half was sewing. I nearly flunked the sewing part, LOL. The boys took shop. Music and Art was also mandatory in 7th Grade, then we could drop one of those classes in 8th and only one of the three required in 9th. I think not long after I went through Jr. High, they began letting girls take shop and boys take home ec. I agree, every kid should take both. I am sure Sandra's class is much more exciting than the one I had when we learned to cook an omlet and bake a cake.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

When I see segments like Rachel Ray's, Gordon Ramsey (he purchased all the food for a family and gave them recipes and then was shocked when the mom didn't cook the food) and the Biggest Loser I just want to scream, "Teach them the basics in cooking.  Then follow up with more interesting recipes." 

Cooking is not "Rocket Science" it does involve chemistry but lucky for me the chemistry happens and I didn't have to tax my brain over it, the writer of the recipe did that!

I so would love to get my hands on that young lady--probably a bunch at my son's high school.  Just getting them to replace anything that they are going to eat that has sugar in it with fruit.  I know most would be hooked.

SM are the kids trying LDL?  Are they doing the cooking or their parents?  I think what you are doing is so cool as well as the others that have lead classes.

RB
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

When I was a teenager I remember being so shocked that an older girl (maybe 4-5 years older than me) was talking about how ignorant she was of cooking anything. She told the story of being told to boil water so she filled a cast iron skillet with water and turned up the heat!  *woot*
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

i messaged that girl about LDL when she was first on the RR show.  i wish her dad would be better to her.  i think they both should eat the same things and get into the kitchen together.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Linda, I  also almost failed the sewing part of home EC. :laughing:  I remember the cooking part which was a blast.  At our local highschool, the kids cook a meal for the staff.  Not only  did they cook, but  they also serve it, which I think is so important  for kids to know how to do.  How we serve it really helps with the taste! SM, I would like being in your class. I just know your foods are good.  Are  you still catering?  :thumbsup: JF
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

Miss Bizzy,

Did the girl respond to your email?  I agree that her parents are part of her problems.

RB
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

she did not, RB.  i wish she had!
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Hi all...

Yes, my class is trying LDL... and they don't even know it!!! LOL...

I had one entire class called "Aspartame is the DEVIL"... and I put it on every test...

So many of my students used to walk into my classroom with Starbucks cups of concoctions... so I decided to read them the ingredients of everything in their cups...  you should have seen how many ended up in the trash... FULL of coffee junk... LOL...

Now we make all our own coffee drinks... and they are all loving the Rooibos tea I make them each morning... sans sugar...
rodie

Post by rodie »

Hey SM,
It's nice to see you! I miss your visits here.I'm sure you are a busy girl. Did you ever get your bread making on you tube? Just wondering as I was looking for it.
Hugzzzz
Rodie :)
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

I was one of those girls that didn't know how to cook.  I took shop but not home-ec:-o. Thankfully, we can be reformed.  I started by reading recipes and was great at doing that.  Now, reformed again thanks to Mary, I hardly ever need a recipe.  Most everyone in my family loves to cook and we are always trying new things.  This thread will have me looking for ways to share this blessing with others.

Blessings,
Julie
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome back Julie,
We missed you!
Linda