Fried eggplant

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Mary J
Master Member

Fried eggplant

Post by Mary J »

Hi all!

Iwas looking through a magazine yesterday in the DR's waiting room.  And saw a recipe for a sandwich that looked really good.  Crispy fried eggplant was used as the bread! Yum!  Of course it can be made LDL style.  Anyone ever tried this before?  Sounds pretty good, huh?

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Fried eggplant

Post by LINDA RN »

I'd bet Sicilian Mamma has!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

here's what you do.......you slice eggplant as thin as you can get it.....spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray and then once you put the eggplant slices on it, you spray the tops with olive oil spray....you can bake them, but i prefer to broil them really fast....as soon as they brown, you turn them over and spray the tops and take them out as soon as they're brown......i salt them when they get out and you eat them like chips...you can use the bigger ones for burgers or anything else you'd use bread for....personally, when i make them, they barely make it off the cookie sheet........what i don't eat, i put in a freezer bag and put in the toaster oven to reheat and recrisp them up....
there used to be a recipe for eggplant chips on these boards, but i didn't find them when i put that name in the search engine....but, this is what i do....and, now that you're mentioning this, i think i'll make it the next time i see eggplant on sale......
this is also a good way to cook eggplant for any recipe calling for fried eggplant...but, as i said, it barely makes it out of the oven when i make it...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... opic=957.0

and, here is the link for the recipe........niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks, Niki.  I just love eggplant.  Will do this recipe this week.  :D JF
Sicilian Mama

Post by Sicilian Mama »

Linda... I sure do!!! LOL

Eggplant is the BEST veggie on the planet... in my book... I love it more than any other food.

The eggplants these days don't need to be salted or rinsed anymore... they have bred the bitterness right out of them, unfortunately. (I enjoy a food that bites me back)

I get a sturdy cooking rack, metal, and place olive oil brushed 1/2 inch thick eggplant slices on it with a dusting of salt on one side, onto the cooling rack, and put the entire cooling rack into a 450 oven for a few minutes to 20 minutes, depending on how you like your eggplant cooked...

When done, take them out, and let them cool... as they cool, they will become more sturdy... then they can be used as bread!

I eat mine plain... an entire plate full of luscious slices... nothing else... I think I'll ask the Lord to make me the eggplant farmer in heaven... I'd like that job...
barrypaxton
Master Member

Post by barrypaxton »

OK, here's a dumb question....do you pel the eggplant first??

Ollie
LDL since 10/13/2009.....Reached Goal Weight 2/14/2011.....88 lbs lost

Make everyday an LDL day!!!        

Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point.
Mary J
Master Member

Post by Mary J »

No peeling required :)

Mary J
Mary J
FL

Started LDL in Oct 09