What are the NAMES of YOUR 3 FAVORITE LDL RECIPES?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Saved4Life

Re: What are the NAMES of YOUR 3 FAVORITE LDL RECIPES?

Post by Saved4Life »

1)  Taco Soup
2) Pizza Soup
3) Taco Soup  ;D
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

I love almost all the recipes, some I changed up a little but what I make the most is
1. Taco soup
2. Mary's beef potato pie
3. B.B. Chicken (I only use the blackberry Polaner all fruit jam, and onion soup mix, nothing else) and its so good.

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Restarted LDL on April 11,2012
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

Neets meatloaf - just like mama used to make *love*

Sloppy Joe - the pumpkin in here really is a pleasant surprise :drool:

Butternut Squash soup - This is so surprisingly good!  :shock:
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

I absolutely love the potato/kale/sausage soup at Olive Garden. Has anyone come up with or have any ideas to make it LDL friendly?  I'm thinking butter beans instead of potato and perhaps a turkey sausage of some type. I think the rest of the ingredients are primarily veggies and seasonings.  All thoughts greatly appreciated.  :drool: Thanks Elj
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Love your new picture Eljayne- I would use ground white meat chicken or turkey with Morton's Sausage Seasoning.  Hard to find, but worth the search!  Please keep us informed when you perfect the recipe.  Sounds great.  Pam
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Here's the original Olive Garden's soup recipe~it will be hard to duplicate using LDL allowable ingredients.You can't duplicate the taste of real cream.

http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/ol ... scana.html

This is my favorite soup at any restaurant. I eat all I want of this soup (with salad, and yes, breadsticks and dessert) whenever I visit Olive Garden on one of my twice weekly eat-anything-for-lunch days. (I eat very low carb for dinner and lose weight).

SweetRose :rose: :rose:
SweetRose
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks,  Mary.  I hope to make it this week.  :thumbsup:  JF
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Little Mary, I really think that your Zuppa Toscana version would be good. The soups and main dishes that you make always are! *love*

I'm just saying that no one can emulate the taste of heavy cream...unless heavy cream itself is used. That doesn't mean that the end product wouldn't be great; it just wouldn't taste the same as if it has cream in it. In other words, the soup would be wonderful, but wouldn't taste like the Olive Garden recipe. But who knows, many people may prefer the lighter version to the OG recipe! :thumbsup:

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

marysimmons wrote:
SweetRose wrote:Here's the original Olive Garden's soup recipe~it will be hard to duplicate using LDL allowable ingredients.You can't duplicate the taste of real cream.

http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/ol ... scana.html

I actually think it would be super-easy to make a soup that tastes nearly the same as this.  I'd start by using our LDL-friendly recipe for Spicy Italian Sausage instead of fattening regular sausage:  http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=2155.0

Instead of the cream, I'd blend some canellini beans with skim milk.  Instead of the potatoes, I'd just add butter beans....unless, of course, I was making it for someone who thinks they don't like butter beans, and in that instance, I'd add sliced turnip. 

Forget the bacon, of course, but if you want a bit of smokey flavor, a couple of drops of liquid smoke stirred in at the end would do the trick. 

Sounds scrumptious!

Little Mary

Thanks so much Mary and all. Now that I'm back on the boards, I'm going to try to make my favorite soup incorporating most of these ideas. Wondering about parsnips instead of potatoes. We love parsnips but turnips, not so much. I'm going to have to wait a bit for the parsnips tho as the garden just got planted and they are better if harvested in the spring after being harvested and buried for the winter.  For now I'll try the butter beans, we like them a lot too.
Thanks again,  *hug* Elj
vickiann

Post by vickiann »

Deborah would you mind sharing your recipe for the B.B. Chicken?  Sounds yummy. Thanks!

Vicki

Deborah D. wrote:I love almost all the recipes, some I changed up a little but what I make the most is
1. Taco soup
2. Mary's beef potato pie
3. B.B. Chicken (I only use the blackberry Polaner all fruit jam, and onion soup mix, nothing else) and its so good.

Deborah D.
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Vickiann its the BB Chicken recipe that came in the red book...but I only use the seedless blackberry Polaner jelly and the dried onion soup mix....but just in case you don't have the red book here is the recipe

1/2 cup Orange all Fruit Marmalade (Polaner)
1/2 cup of fat free ranch dressing
1/2 cup Mandarin Oranges, drained
1/2 pkg dried onion soup mix
4 boneless, skinless, split chicken breasts

Place chicken breasts in a 9x9 pan sprayed with Pam olive oil cooking spray.  Cook for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.  Drain off liquid.  
Blend the marmalade, dressing and dried onion soup mix together in a blender.  Pour over the chicken breasts.  Cook at 375 degrees for another 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.

Add the mandarin oranges during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.

***Note when I make this I use the whole 10 oz jar of Jam and the whole package of dried onion soup mix, and 4 to 6 chicken Breast***
Last edited by Anonymous on June 16th, 2012, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I live in Burleson, TX
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Deborah and Vickiann, this is definitely a favorite recipe in our house.  Like you, Deborah, I don't use marmalade.  I substitute with Polaner's apricot flavor but I know it's got to be yummy with the blackberry flavor.  The black cherry is another favorite of mine.  How interesting that you use only the 2 ingredients.  I just might have to try that.

Another thing I do with this recipe is double it for company.  Sometimes I make this a day ahead and then dice the cooked chicken before refrigerating.  The day company is coming I place it all in the crock pot.  It's the way I take this dish to a pot luck dinner too.  It gets compliments!
mrsj 
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I am going to have to search the boards for the recipe someone posed for a dried onion soup mix that eliminates the MSG.
I am needing something to take to work again, this just might do the trick.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

MrsJ I know I made this last Saturday night for our game night at my Brother in Laws house alone with a tossed salad, and some corn with cream cheese and jalapenos and everyone loved it...I did not tell them it was my "Diet Food".  I always get compliments when I make this and Taco soup for people, I have a lot of people say I just love your cooking and baking....And the Cauliflower Crust pizza I made the other day, I gave some to a friend because I could not eat all of it, and she raved about it for days about how good it was, I did tell her about it being LDL but a once in a while thing because of the cheese, she said "next time you make another one make sure I get some pleaseeeeeeee"

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Great cooking Deborah!  Thanks for reminding me about the cauliflower crust pizza.  Haven't tried that one yet.  The taco soup, however, is also a favorite of mine and I know what you mean there.  :drool:

Linda, did you find the dried onion soup mix?  Is this it?  This is another one I haven't yet tried.  Looks good!
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/in ... pic=9309.0

mrsj
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

That's the one, Julie. Thank you.
Funny how I bought parsley flakes the other day.
I think I have everything else but the dried onions.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
vickiann

Post by vickiann »

Thank you so very much for sharing the recipe. Just to be clear, you don't use the ranch dressing either?

Vicki
Deborah D.
Master Member

Post by Deborah D. »

Vickiann all I use is the chicken, 10 oz jar of jelly and a package of dried onion soup mix and that is all.  The first time we made this we forgot all the other ingredients so made it with just the 3 ingredients, then the next time we made it we followed the recipe, and did not think it changed the taste that much, so we started making it with just the 3 ingredients....if the ranch dressing made it better we would have used it but it did nothing for us.

Deborah D.
I live in Burleson, TX
Starting weight 295 lbs
Goal weight 125 lbs

vickiann

Post by vickiann »

Made this last night and the family loved it. Thank you for sharing!

Vicki