Getting to know you!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
ladyhawk21

Re: Getting to know you!

Post by ladyhawk21 »

Hi its me, Renee, been here a little while- don't get to post often anymore- i live in NC, have a BS in Geography, have worked in police communications and did surveying for the NCDOT for several years, now i work in the office in engineering (yeah) i am now doing 2 jobs as the city has laid off people.  I am working on my CMS designation, studying so i can take an 8 hr case study and a 4 hr master exam.  not looking forward to it either.

my spare time is taken up with my Babie Girl (pictured with me) who is now 13 yrs old- my Mr Martie passed in April 2011 and i still miss him and the rest of my time i am with our rescue horses: you can see some of them at http://www.sherrnc.com we have at the moment 13 horses- Beau is our newest rescue and before that Levi- we also have a nursing mare foal, Rio; for those that don't know- the race tracks breed their horses and at the same time a breed nursing mare -  the racing horse's foal is taken from its mother and given to the nursing mare and the nursing mare's foal is killed- we managed to save Rio and he is a sweet baby- it is despicable what people will do to make money;  

i also do transports; we take dogs from high kill shelters, put them in foster homes and when they get adopted i help get them to their new homes.  you get to meet all kinds of dogs and all kinds of people.  so if you love animals but don't have the space to be a foster, this is an excellent way to save a life.

I am a member of Best Friends Animal Society as a researcher.

i guess that tells much about my love for animals and why i hate horse/dog racing- puppy mills and irresponsible breeders; why i support tough spay/neuter laws and i hate animal gas chambers!!

my other hobby is sewing and especially embroidery work; love to try out new designs.  i like reenactments, i am a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Order of the Confederate Rose

i have a son and grandson;  my mom was sick last year with UC, now my step dad has had to have stents so i try to help them every week with house/yard work so you can see why i don't get on here very often.  my dad has Graves.  which explains why i also have thyroid problems.

i think that about covers it!!   LOL
forgot to add that i have lost 23pds this go around and my plans are to get back on the treadmill and do my 2 miles a day!!  

Renee
Last edited by ladyhawk21 on January 3rd, 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi renee,  I have a lady doggie living with me that i rescued from a neighbor who was choking and kicking their dog. And giving her poor feed. The poor thing was so sore and hungry I didn't know if I could keep her. Its been 6 months now and she has gained weight and is no longer in pain. Just a loving doggie she is a border terrier. If ever you come across a little chihuahua who needs to be rescued I sure would love to have one. I have a chihuahua now too you see her where my picture should go.her name is Feliz Navidad.-Leesi and the other is Miss Coco Chanel- coco. My other chihuahua passed away in the fall. She had tumers in her snout and sinus and down her throat. We really miss our little Ruby.
                    Judie
ladyhawk21

Post by ladyhawk21 »

Will do Judie- i am sure there are rescue groups in your area that has a dog just for you- i am sorry your baby passing- i am still not over Mr Martie- and still have what i call "Mr Martie" moments-  thank you for taking in the terrier- it still amazes me how people mistreat animals if they if they dont want it find a home for it. 

Babie is on the LDL plan with me- what ever i eat she eats;  she loves her veggies.

Renee
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

We had a daschund when I was growing up who used to sit up and beg when mom would peel carrots. She loved the carrot peelings!
We have a horse who loves banana peels!
BTW one of our horses is very old and looks so thin. Hubby was trying to put weight on him so doubled up on his sweet feed and even fed him oats.
We nearly killed him. His legs and knees swelled so bad he could barely walk and seemed to be in so much pain he could barely get his head down to get water.
I read about it being a common occurance with too much grain and not enough exercise.
By this time we finally got some rain and grass growing and we turned him out to graze and cut way back on the grains.
He was back to normal in a few days. Sure was a graphic picture of what grains can do to you.
Last edited by LINDA RN on January 4th, 2012, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
ladyhawk21

Post by ladyhawk21 »

we have a 30+ yr old mare Sweetie-  she eats beet pulp with timothy soaked in water over night (no teeth)  added some extra i think alpha soaked in water

http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Articles/WinterCare.html

Renee
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi!
    Oh gosh is this a forum?  I didn't know it was a forum. Duh!  To tell the truth I really didn't know what a forum was.  Ha Ha Ha. So dumb.
                                                            Judie

Guess what I know now.
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Judie,
You're not dumb. A forum is a place for people to discuss common goals, problems, concerns etc. People all in the same boat. It's definitely a good thing.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
tres

Post by tres »

My name is Teresa, or Tres.  I live in Oklahoma but I'm originally from Missouri.  I have been married for 25 years and have two wonderful sons ages 20 and 14.  We are a homeschooling family..I'm just down to the  14 year old but he counts for at least three kids wrapped in one.  The oldest is now in college but still lives at home to save money.

I've only had a weight problem for the last 8 years.  It's crazy how much weight I've gained.  Last year I started this woe only to spend all of October thru February sick.  I mean sick.  Two surgeries later and I'm back.  I wish I'd started right after my last surgery because I'd lost 30 lbs just being ill.  I think my weight gain is closely related to my son's disability, he is dyslexic.  Now, I know that doesn't seem like much but let me tell you it affect every facet of his life.  There are varying degrees of dyslexia and it affects his reading and math greatly.  When you homeschool, it makes it very challenging.  He has been through a program that helped us so much but the stress remains.  Dyslexia has gifts as well, truly some dyslexics are so gifted in extraordinary ways.

I also have two little girls, but they have four legs.  They are King Charles Cavalier spaniels.  I spoil them rotten!  Tilly and Penny my little velcro pals.

That's about it.  Thanks Linda for letting me know about this intro page!

Tres
If you are what you eat...then I'm a fruit!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Tres, I was a teacher for 24 years and I can tell you that I had quite a few students pass through my class with learning disabilities.  One thing I observed, when all is said and done and they make it to adult age, sometimes those with learning disabilities do better than those without.  I saw how they had to fight for what they got, so they are much more tenacious -- you know?  Real life is not set up like a classroom and so much that we expect of students isn't practical in the real world.  It always would bless me when one of my strugglers would come back to the school -- I taught at the same Chrisitian school for all those years -- and want to visit me in the classroom.  I loved hearing about their jobs and how God made a way for them in life.  I always loved teaching the kids who'd been homeschooled too.  If homeschooling is done right, it is ideal.  Of course one on one learning is so much better.  I had as many as 30 students at a time and there is no way I could spend the time to give everyone one on one instruction.  Blessings!     
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Tres, our family has experienced dyslexia first hand.  Both of those who had it have been very successful men.  The older of the two was in school before too much was said about it.  He was such a great athlete that teachers really helped him.  He had a caring family.  The younger one had a special plan to follow.  He scored so high on his science state tests that were required  to leave 4Th grade, that his teacher said he should be given a special award.  Dyslexia students are usually very intelligent, but have an eye to word to written word problem as I know you understand very well.  I admire any mother who does all she can do to get her children the best education possible.  We have a lot of home schooled children in our area. I taught public school for 32 yrs, and there are many teachers in our family. Our granddaughter is getting a second degree in helping Autistic children. (Autism K-12.) Every time we get together, we have some lively discussions on what is happening in education. Now to you and weight loss-- I really think you are ready to help yourself with a healthy woe. People on the boards are the best in helping. Good for you.  *hug*  JF
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Tres, thanks for bringing this thread back up, I posted it a long time ago. I went back and reread the posts so interesting getting to know everyone all over again...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it, Wither. :thumbsup: JF
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

That was back when the boards were so lively and fun...I really enoyed going back and reading those again, it brought up memories, good ones.
tres

Post by tres »

Crickadoodle and Joyful Friend thank you for your kind words.  Crickadoodle, you have no idea what your words meant to me.  I'm not a cryer...and I cried!  I know what you're saying about dyslexics finding success after formal schooling.  This is something Zach's program and facilitator shared with us.  Still, it's so good to hear it again and again!

We have a lot of educators in our family as well.  They were not happy when we first started homeschooling.  They've come around.  :D

Tres
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome Tres, good to know there is another OKIE on the boards.
Donna, (our ClownLady) has not been on in a while. She resides in Southeastern Oklahome and I am in the SW Region.
I hear Gwennaford is in the process of moving back to Oklahoma.
Although I considermyself an OKIE, I came here from the city life in Ohio.
We homeschooled our kids also in addition to having home births!
Not bad for a city hick!
Guess growing up in the city, I always remember wanting to be in the country.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

tres

Post by tres »

That's great to know Linda.  I'm just outside of Oklahoma City.  My husband is from Iowa but we both consider ourselves Okies.  Of course, my poor husband is an Iowa Hawkeye fan and since they played OU in the bowl game last year he felt like a duck out of water then!  My youngest son is s Boomer Sooner and just laughed at him the whole game!

Tres
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Tres, I lived in OKC for a short time -- 7-8 months -- when I got out of college.  My sister lived there, and I wanted to move away from home to see what living in another place was like.  Her husband did his internship and residence there, but then they moved to Illinois when he went into practice.  Well, while I was there, I gave my heart to the Lord, and so I think of OKC as my second birthplace -- although I haven't been back there in over 30 years!  I have very good memories of that place -- mainly because I grew so much as I read the Bible in my little apartment.  God reminded me that I wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, but others directed me to get a business degree. Well, I moved back home and went back to school for education.  I did a YWAM DTS in El Paso after that second time in college and then came back home to teach for the next 24 years.  The past 3 1/2 years I've been caring for my mother in our home and this has also been very rewarding and fulfilling.  God is good!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Linda, hubby and I are just SW of you just outside of Lawton.
We used to take the kids to "the city" to ice skate, but now they are grown and moved off.
Good to know you!
Linda

witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

Linda do you still ice skate? I love to watch ice skating in the olympics.It is so graceful. I always liked to see ice skating, that is mt favorite part of the winter olympics.
lindawell8
New, but learning

Post by lindawell8 »

Hi my name again is Linda, I am from Idaho. And I sure do want to be an LDL success. My husband and I have a Ministry with people of all ages. Our life is very very busy. And I need to be healthy to keep up. We have one son and daughter-in-law, and four grandchildren. They all are awesome. I love to exercise a lot.  I really enjoy walking. I have at least 10lbs to loose. I have lost 32. But more than just being thin, I want to stay healthy. I have diabetis, so it is a must that I stay healthy. I am on no medications. Just through diet and exercise I try to keep it in check. You people appear to really help on another. That is what I need. Lots of encouragement. And I feel God led me to this place. So here goes.
Have a really wonderful and blessed LDL [i]day.   Linda (Boots) Weller