Spiritual Warfare

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
mgoben

Spiritual Warfare

Post by mgoben »

Hello all,

My wife and I have been doing LDL for almost a month now.  At first, I loved it.  The first week I lost 12 lbs and I felt better than I have felt in a LONG time.  My wife immediately joined me after about the first 3 days, and we spent WAY too much money at the grocery store rolling over our cupboards and refrigerator contents.  I cheated occassionally, and it seemed to be working fine.  This weekend I almost quit.  I have been obsessing over the scale like never before and I actually gained a pound this last week.  Nevermind the fact that I cheated several days this week and thought it was just part of the process.  SO, we put the scale away.  We'll bring it back in a couple weeks, because I need to keep tabs on my weight because of my heart condition.  Regardless, my success to this point has been marginal.

A few minutes ago, I had all but decided to quit.  This isn't fun anymore.  At first it was fun because I was eating new foods that I hadn't learned to enjoy before.  Now it's becoming "normal" and it has lost it's newness.  This is where I have quit every diet I have ever tried before.  I will not live my life miserable, constantly craving what I cannot have.  I mentioned to my wife that I was losing my "want to", and she simply asked me this question, "What would you tell someone who said the same thing to you on Friday nights?"

You see, I am the Assistant Director of an Addictions Program at my church and we meet at the church on Friday nights.  My wife's question stung me.  I got angry with her, but I didn't know why.  I had left my copy of LDL at home (we also help with a children's program at church on Sunday nights) so I took a drive home to get the book and calm down.  On that ride home, I realized that my wfie's question was completely appropriate.  On that ride home, it struck me that just as a drug addict can have a "jones" for their drug of choice, I was having a "jones" for pizza.  This wasn't the first time I had made that connection, but it was the first time that it "hit home". 

We have a principle in our addictions program that says, "You cannot fight a fleshly appetite by indulging in it."  I am never going to conquer my addiction to unhealthy foods by indulging in them, even a little.  The physical cravings for my pizza can be fought with techniques provided by Roger in LDL and this wonderful community.  The emotional struggles can be fought through our relationship with Jesus Christ and His Word.  For example, the Bible says, "I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me."  (Philippians 4:13).  I don't have all the answers.  But, I do know that when I am done with this post I am going to pray for the strength I have been promised to get through.  When I get home, I will be making some Pizza soup with whatever ingredients I have around the house to help kill the craving for Pizza.  I may have started this thing thinking it would be fun, but from now on I will be treating it as what it really is... a spiritual battle for my health that will impact everyone I care about.

If you are reading this, and you too are struggling, please don't give up.  Your health IS important.  YOU are important.  Use the techniques in LDL to fight the physical cravings.  They work, even if I forget that sometimes.  Fight the emotional issues with your faith.  Christ will strengthen His children.

May God Richly Bless and Keep You!

P.S.  A BIG thank you to my wife for loving me enough to tell me the truth!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Spiritual Warfare

Post by LINDA RN »

Welcome, mgoben,
How wonderful that you have had that revelation so early in this journey!
I had to smile about you talking about the pizza, because I was eating a big bowl of pizza soup as I was reading your post. Yummmmm
I had not fixed Pizza soup in quit a while and it is soo filling and satisfying. I like my soup chunky so I sauteed zucchini, onions, sweet peppers, and mushrooms with the ground beef to add to it. Also be sure to load up on the Italian spices. Your kitchen should smell like pizza as it simmers. And if you have to have a nice layer of Parmesan or Motzarella cheese on top to satisfy the craving, then do it until the craving goes away! Food is one of the worst addictions we deal with. You are blessed with a wise wife and you are also blessed with the wisdom to let God speak to you through her. We are here to help so keep us posted.
And oh, BTW, I did not loose anything the first 5 months on LDL. I did notice my body reshaping, though, and I also knew I needed to eat healthy to prove to my patients it can be done!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Mgoben - Nice post.  I'm glad you are going to stick with LDL.  Maybe if you would try a couple of new recipes per week from the boards, it might make the LDL plan seem more new and enjoyable for you, like it was when you started the plan.  Or, if you have any flair for cooking, maybe you could create some of your own recipes to share with others on the boards...recipes are always welcome...lol  Jerrie :)
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Great post.  Congratulations on gaining personal insight into your problem.  You can do this, and we are here to help in any way possible.  Pam
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi mgoben,

I can so totally relate to what you are saying.  I just wanted to share something with you.  You CAN have pizza on LDL.  You just have to make it the LDL way.  Have you found any corn thins or rye crisps at your store?  I use these for my pizza crusts and add cooked toppings on them, then some lowfat cheese and pop in the oven.  You can do it in the microwave too but it will make the corn thins a little chewy. 

There is no way that anyone is going to stay on a plan that they don't enjoy.  I hope you will ask God to show you ways to ENJOY LDL.  Spiritual warfare is not something you should have to live in every day of your life.  You want to live in deliverance from misery yes?  *Tight Hugs*  Hang in there and ask God for wisdom and guidance to ENJOY your life and this new way of eating.  LDL is NOT a diet.  I don't believe God's plan is for any of us to live a life of misery and denial.  Most of the time I believe it's our thinking that needs to change and then the body will follow.  Good luck to you hon and I will pray for you too.

Blessed and loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Good point, LP, no misery on LDL
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

mgoben -- just to encourage you, I prayed for a Livet.  I still can hardly believe how gloriously God answered that prayer with Let's Do Lunch.  I was tired of diets and didn't want to find something that would just help me lose weight, but would be something I could live with.  That's why I called it a Livet  -- I wanted to LIVE (livet) not DIE (diet).  The best part of LDL is that the food is real food and not diet food.  I don't eat fake things, even those allowed on LDL, actually.  I want real food that is healthy.  I don't do the fat free cheese or the diet soft drinks, etc.  I use stevia to sweeten my iced tea or hot tea and otherwise I drink water. 

I have enjoyed eating the fresh fruits and veggies in the variety God has blessed us with.  There really is a lot of variety out there!!  I have made some adaptations to how I used to eat.  Instead of bread I enjoy beans and bean soup especially.  It takes away the craving for bread.  Spaghetti squash makes and excellent "pasta" for a LDL spaghetti sauce.  You just have to think differently.  Once your taste buds adapt to the healthy food, you really don't desire the other food.  The beans cure the craving for fattening starches, the fruit cures the craving for the fattening sweets.  You eat leaner cuts of meat -- and that really is about it.  My best way of eating and losing has been to eat fruit for breakfast and dinner -- until full and if I get hungry later, I eat more and a variety.  For lunch I eat a big meal of bean soup, veggies and lean meat.  If I need something sweet, I often eat a little fresh pineapple. 

Oh, one of my favorite meals has been fajitas wrapped in lettuce leaves.  I'll put the meat, salsa, pico de gallo and onions and peppers --- such flavors.  There really doesn't have to be deprivation on LDL.  You don't have to feel miserable.  God truly made all these wonderful foods for us to enjoy guilt free.  You fin that with LDL you don't continue with mindless eating.  When you are full, you actually stop eating.  So many foods today have high fructose corn syrup, and this messes with the chemicals in your brain that signal when you've eaten enough.  I really think the obesity problem is where it is because of people not feeling satisfied due to HFCS.  I was amazed at how I no longer felt that way.  Your body will start operating the way God made it to operate.  You can be set free from that insatiable appetite.