Whats everyone reading now?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Re: Whats everyone reading now?

Post by crickadoodle »

Julie, Bonhoffer is such a thick book and I read just a little each night, so I'm making progress, but it is slow!!!  I'm like around pg. 350ish right now.  I think it is a little over 600 pages.  I read that EM gave copies of Bonhoffer and I think the other one you are reading to the President at the prayer breakfast.  I hope he reads them.  I don't think I saw the video, though, and will need to look for that.

CM -- reading your Bible is most important anyway.  I'm always reading that, but right now, not quite as much because I'm doing a ladies Bible study with ladies from my church and read the portions we are studying.  It is the James -- Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore.  Such a good study and we are almost at the end.  This is the last week of homework and Wednesday will be the last class for it.  She has different levels to do it -- 1 through 5.  In level 5 you memorize the whole book!!  Well, I used to teach at a Christian school and I'd put chapters of the Bible to tunes I'd make up to teach my students.  Someone asked me to do the Book of James like this and I've attempted it.  I already had chapter 3 done from when I taught.  I am now on chapter 4 -- so since it is 5 chapters, I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!  :shock:  I never memorized a whole book before.  It's like really up close and personal to do this, because you can't escape what it is saying and makes you really think. She says that you can take like 6 months to do it, so no one will be finished memorizing by the end of the study.  I want to finish by April, though.  I'd like to complete it because they'll have a special gathering for all the ladies and I'd like to be able to give out a CD with the whole book to tunes for anyone who wants it.  I've been sending the portions I've done to some of the ladies who've requested them, because they want to complete level 5 too.  I have to record chapters 2 and 3, since I've completed them.  Hopefully this weekend my husband will have time to help me do this.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crick, you're amazing!!! I am now doing a Beth Moore study-Why Good People Do Bad Things. It really makes one stop and think.  I'm also doing a study with another group on Philippians.  It is really good.  No video is used with it.  Francine Rivers really has some good inspiration books.  I've read all of hers. Hope she has another out soon.  *hug*  JF
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Wanda, I love Francine Rivers' books!!  The trilogy -- I think called the Mark of the Lion or something like that -- was spellbinding.  She is one of my favorite writers.  Redeeming Love is so good.  I really liked The Last Sin Eater and we even bought the movie of it -- did you know there was a movie?  I've read Leota's Garden -- not sure about that name's spelling and one about a quilt, maybe the Scarlet Thread was the name.  The last one I read was about a pastor who took over an old church that the numbers had dwindled down.  I don't remember the name, though.  It was really good too.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crick, The Lion Series the first ones I read caught me.(they may be called A Voice in the Wind)  Her last two are Her Mother's Hope and Her Daughter's Dream--Go together.  The one about the pastor is The Shofur  Blew.  The Sons of Encouragement and The Lineage of Grace give different perspectives on Bible characters.  Francine wrote secular a long time ago. When she became a christian, she was lead to  write inspirational books.  The Atonement Child is good.  Redeeming Love is a movie.  I didn't know The Sin Eater was a movie.  Thanks.  As you said in another blog, we need to keep our Bible reading a priority.  Sometimes, I get lazy and fall  behind. *hug*  JF
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Must check out Francine Rivers book!
The last book I read was Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs.  In fact my dh and I did our presentation yesterday for our Marriage Encounter Share group on this book.  There are so many great points in it that have been useful in our communication.

Before this one I read "Heaven Is For Real".  Wow.
My favorite mysteries have been books by Mary Higgins Clark.

Now to check this list for more book suggestions.  Thanks Judie for a great thread!
mrsj
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Yes, I think it was the Mark of the Lion Trilogy and the first book was called A Voice in the Wind, if I'm not mistaken.  So, you'd recommend Her Mother's Hop and Her Daughter's Dream?  I haven't read the ones about Bible characters, but I'm sure I'd love them, because frankly, I haven't read anything she's written that I didn't like.  I'd heard that she wrote secular before coming to Christ.  In fact, I heard that she wrote Redeeming Love before she was a Christian and then rewrote it as a Christian.  The Atonement Child sounds familiar, but I'm not sure if I read it or not.  Have you ever read Peace Child by Don Richardson?  I read a few books by him, Lords of the Earth was another.  They are about missionaries that go into places that are remote and minister to cannibals, actually. I love how he brings out that God has placed in ever culture special things to bring that culture to Christ.  They'll have cultural traditions and things that we might look at as strange, but God will show the missionaries the keys to reaching that group.  In his book, Eternity in their Hearts, he deals mainly with that idea.  He explains how the Chinese missionaries were like complaining to God about having to not only learn a new language, but how the characters are so different too -- you know that wouldn't be as easy as learning French or Spanish, which use the same characters.  Well, then the missionaries saw how in the language characters, God was speaking.  I think it was the character for "righteousness" that was the same as the character for "lamb" ontop of the character for "cross."  Now, that blows my mind!   Those books aren't fiction, but are so much better than fiction.  Also the one by Bruce Olson called Bruscho -- I don't know if that is spelled right.  I'll change it later if it is wrong.  He went to South America to be a missionary and no missions board would send him, so he just went in obedience to God.  The story is amazing.  Then I like the old books too by people like Hannah Whitall Smith -- The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life, books by Andrew Murray -- the last one I read by him was "The Two Covenants"  -- awesome book that you have to pause and think about and shouldn't read too fast.  
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Crick, thanks for the suggestions.  I had heard about the Chinese symbols from missionaries who minister in China.  It show to me that the gospel at one time reached the world and they rejected it just like we are doing in America.  How horrible!!!  I think I'm getting a Kindle for my birthday from my kids, so I will know some books to download.  I think you would really like Francine's last two books--explain why some mothers and daughters aren't close. They also show how God can work in our hearts.  He is an amazing God.  I sometimes just sit in awe that something so wonderful as Salvation through grace included me, and it didn't cost me a thing.  It cost God His only begotten Son, Look to the Lamb!!!  *love* *hug*  JF
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Ok, this is the first I've ever bookmarked a thread!  Two of my very favorite ladies posting about their favorite books..I am saving this one!
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Julie, my husband just got a book that would probably be great for a homeschooling home to use for reference -- The Annals of the World by James Ussher.  It was first published in 1658!!  He is always sharing such interesting things he has read in this book.  It was revised from the ancient English to modern English to make it understandable.  Now, my husband isn't a history buff, but realizes that although he was a National Honor Society member in high school he has very poor knowledge of history, government and geography.  He could very well become a history buff, though!  Ussher was an ordained Anglican priest and includes lots of biblical information and history is presented through a Christian world view.  I'm sure I'll pick it up one day and learn some stuff too!! :)
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

I am reading 'Not In Front Of The Servants'  byFrank Daws. It is a history of servants in England in the 1800-early 1900 period. Very interesting with actual interviews letters and pictures frombith Upstairs and Downstairs in the wealthy houses. Glad I didn't live then...it would most likely have been the scullery for me. lol
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Well I am about halfway through Seat of the Soul and I have to say I disagree with this guys theories.  I'm not sure if I'm even going to finish it, but I do try to have an open mind and listen to everyone's thoughts.  I think it helps me have a rounder point of view and understanding of other people.  I will say that he wrote this book about 20 years ago and we all grow in that time.  I think some of what he said may have applied back then, but I honestly think we as a human race have progressed a lot since then.

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by VickiLynn »

Idahoali wrote:If you enjoy crime/mystery stories that also have a good dose of humor - check out David Rosenfelt. Here are the books in order:
1. Open & Shut
2. First Degree
3. Bury the Dead
4. Sudden Death
5. Dead Center
6. Play Dead
7. New Tricks
8. Dog Tags
9. One Dog Night

Ali,

Thanks for introducing me to this author. I have finished reading two of his books and enjoyed the main character, Andy Carpenter. The story lines kept my interest throughout the whole book and I really enjoyed the dry humor associated with Andy and his friends -- some lines I laughed out loud. Both books were easy reads and the plots kept me guessing until the end.  I highly recommend these books to anyone who would love a mystery involving a defense lawyer, his faithful friend (a Golden Retriever), and his human friends that help him solve the cases of clients who might never have been proven "not guilty".
Last edited by VickiLynn on March 26th, 2012, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idahoali

Post by Idahoali »

VickiLynn -

That makes me so happy!! I was hoping someone would try them and enjoy them as much as I have. I absolutely adore his dry humor, and I definitely did a lot of laughing out loud. Kept trying to read funny sections to my husband...out of context they probably weren't as funny. :)  I think I've also done my fair share of crying reading these too - he's just an excellent story teller. Thanks for letting me know you liked them!
Started LDL 11/09, Fell off wagon some time in 2010. After a lot of different experiments, and failures, I've decided to come back! RESTART 01/13/12
Stats:
Goal Weight: 155
1/13/12: 179.4 (doc's office says 183)

SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Right now I'm rereading the red LDL book! BTW, does anyone know if there is going to be a new addition?

Actually, I'm an avid reader. I collect Gladys Taber books, and just received a vintage copy from Amazon called Spring Harvest. I love this dear lady's writings and journals. She is gone now, but her many books live on!

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Currently, I'm reading Walking Across Egypt. I'm loving it.
Here is the synopsis by David Gannon:
I've read several of Clyde Edgerton's novels. While the man is gifted with the ability to develop wonderful characters, my experience is that his characters often far outshine his stories--you are often left with the sense that the character deserved a much better story than the one they ended up in.
This is not the case with Walking Across Egypt, a book where the story is the equal to the characters--which is good because the characters are among Edgerton's best.

Mattie Rigsbee is an independent, strong-minded senior citizen of 78 years who might just be slowing a bit--after all, it does take her two days to mow her acre of lawn these days.

In short order Miss Mattie has picked up two strays--a moth eaten mutt of a dog and Wesley Benfield, a young delinquent on the lam. Miss Hattie, lonely as she can be, sees it as her Christian duty to see to these two strays--with hilarious consequences.

The book has a fine sense of comedic flair and is wonderfully paced. The dominant story is both quaint and heartwarming without getting schmaltzy or overly sentimental. And, for once, there is a genuinely serious side to this book as it examines how Mattie's friends-all good, Christian church going ladies, react to her acts of Christian charity.

Edgerton has a good feel for the nuances of small town life and the characters who live there.

This is a little gem of a book. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

That sounds like an interesting book!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I agree.  I'll have to download it.  Thanks, JF
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Thanks JF and Crickadoodle! My library's copy is worn and slightly stained (must be loved and enjoyed a lot). The comments on the inside are positive and encouraging. I didn't want the book to end. Enjoy!
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

I just finished reading 'The Harbinger' Jonathon Cahn. It was one of the best books I have read in a while.
                        kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10