Whats everyone reading now?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Whats everyone reading now?

Post by LINDA RN »

I was about to say, all I read is LDL Messages and Facebook until Ollie mentioned the 2 books she is reading.
I have read both of those and they are very, very good.
There were a couple others I read about encounters in heaven but can't remember the names.
When I get into a good book I can't put it down and I am either late for work or nothing gets done at home.
As it is I fall asleep in front of the TV watching the few shows I like, I am sure reading a novel right now would definitely but me to sleep.
It was a good 5 years after nursing school that I could read anything without falling asleep in the first few pages.
Pavlov's dog in action, LOL

As for Pinterest, I have some boards set up and have pinned from some web sites, but could not figure out how to get to a main board to see what others are pinning to get ideas.
Last edited by LINDA RN on March 9th, 2012, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
chewy

Post by chewy »

the china study by t colin campbell,eat to live by joel fuhrman
ukgrad77
New, but learning

Post by ukgrad77 »

I just finished The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak.  Was about Catherine the Great and her rise to power.  Historical novel, but after researching Catherine after reading the book......the author was pretty spot on with her facts.  I would recommend it.....
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Thank you all! Now I have a book list to choose from.  thanks, Judie
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Linda,
when browing Pinterest, click on the title Pinterest and it will bring up the lastest postings.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
mtngirl

Post by mtngirl »

If someone would like to read a wonderful book that is laugh-out-loud funny, then check out "Walking Across Egypt" by Clyde Edgerton.  It was published some years ago and a movie was made too.  Every now and then I reread it and always, always enjoy it.

Alisa
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Alisa,
Thanks for the suggestion. I love humorous fiction and friendship.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I love to read--did my share on vacation.  I'm in a local book club, so read books and then discuss.  I have read many of Beverly Lewis's books.  The Amish ones are great.  We have a whole lot of Amish  people close to us. Like Linda, I did not know they were in Mexico.  I saw several in Florida--one section around Sarasota.  The big restaurant was closed on Sunday.    Crick, I think I would enjoy the book you mentioned.  Right now, I'm watching basketball--exciting days ahead.  :laughing:*hug* JF
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Am I the only one who enjoys mysteries of any kind?  I am an avid reader and usually read one or two books a week.  Yesterday I picked up four books from my local library.  Two books are authors that are some of my favorites -- W.E.B. Griffin and James Patterson and I brought home two new authors I have never read.  I also have other authors that I wait for their next book with anticipation with Vince Flynn and J.D. Robb begin two of them. The only fiction books I don't read are sci-fi, fantasy, and Harlequin romances.

JF... Nice to see you are back from vacation -- I've missed you.  Also, I love to watch college women's basketball but can't seem to get into the men's divisions.  Baseball is my favorite spectator sport and being from New Hampshire Ron and I are hugh Red Sox fans.
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Yep like mysteries. I like the Agatha Raisin mysteries and the Hamish Macbeth Mysteries both by  M.C. Beaton. I also read  The Joanne Fluke murder mysteries. In the jo anne books the leading character owns a cookie bake shop in a small Minnesota town. She is a armature sleuth. Has two boy friends who want to marry her .She cant choose. Also has a naughty kitty who she rescued from the streets. The Agatha Raisin books take place in England and the Macbeth series takes place in Scotland. All are good reads.
                                                judie
Idahoali

Post by Idahoali »

If you enjoy crime/mystery stories that also have a good dose of humor - check out David Rosenfelt.  He's written a series of stories about an attorney named Andy Carpenter and they are truly fabulous!! He's an average joe with great sarcasm, who falls into detective work surrounding his cases, and who adores his golden retriever Tara. I devoured the entire series and am hoping he's working on a new one now!! He also writes stand alone books, but I haven't read any of them yet.  :)  Here are the books in order:
1. Open & Shut
2. First Degree
3. Bury the Dead
4. Sudden Death
5. Dead Center
6. Play Dead
7. New Tricks
8. Dog Tags
9. One Dog Night
Started LDL 11/09, Fell off wagon some time in 2010. After a lot of different experiments, and failures, I've decided to come back! RESTART 01/13/12
Stats:
Goal Weight: 155
1/13/12: 179.4 (doc's office says 183)

snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

I will have to try those books. Sounds like a good read
                      Judie
VickiLynn
Master Member

Post by VickiLynn »

Judie,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have never read Agatha Raisin nor Beaton so I am looking forward to checking out at least one of their books next trip to the library.  Raisin's character sounds like a blast.
======================================================
Ali,

Another new author to check out!  I have several authors whose series I have read from beginning to end and Andy Carpenter sounds like a character I would enjoy.  Thanks for giving me the order of publishing. I'll start with the first and if I like Andy as much as you do, I'll keep going.
Idahoali

Post by Idahoali »

You're welcome - hope you enjoy them!  I haven't heard of Agatha Raisin, but I have listened to a couple of Hamish MacBeth stories while traveling and enjoyed them immensely! In fact, I need to find the order they were published and start at the beginning. 
Started LDL 11/09, Fell off wagon some time in 2010. After a lot of different experiments, and failures, I've decided to come back! RESTART 01/13/12
Stats:
Goal Weight: 155
1/13/12: 179.4 (doc's office says 183)

Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Thanks for the list.  Will get started.  :thumbsup: JF
cm in tn

Post by cm in tn »

I to love pinitrest and spend way to much time on it...Its really simple you click on everything then click on topic and if you see any thing you like pin it to your wall that you name what ever you want...You can follow your friends pins also...lOve for you to be friend me in pintrest Connie McCracken.Hope to see you there....Going now.lol.Come on if your already a member...
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME : PHILIPPIANS 4:13
ukgrad77
New, but learning

Post by ukgrad77 »

VickiLynn:  I, too, love the Vince Flynn books.  I have read the WHOLE Mitch Rapp series.......just got the new one on my iPad.  Saving it for when I go to the beach.  Wonder if there is a real Mitch lurking around out there saving all of us?  LOL
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

What a great thread!  I love to read....mostly biographies and other non-fiction.  I just finished a number of books about Lilias Trotter. A Blossom in the Desert by Rockness includes illustrations of her beautiful artwork, a great gift/coffee table book.  A passion for the Impossible also by Rockness is the most meaty/comprehensive.  I read the one by Patricia St John too....Rockness collaborated with her, Elizabeth Elliot and others and found many original documents and artwork in writing her versions. 

Crick, a friend just introduced me to Eric Metaxas by showing me the C-Span clip of his National Prayer Breakfast speech.  She thought I might be particularly interested since my dh is Greek and German and he even looks and speaks a bit like my dh.  We actually have a number of his children's books/videos and his speech was so familiar sounding....so interesting that he can effectively use the same type of humor that we heard throughout the Veggietale Series (pretty sure he narrated Esther..too funny) in that venue...just a bit more heady for the DC crowd.  He will be in Texas in May and I am going to go with some friends to a book signing.  I am going to try to finish the Bonhoeffer and Wilberforce books before then.  BTW, there are great, family/kid friendly, Focus on the Family Radio Theater CDs on both of those great men (Equiano and John Newton too).

Blessings,
Julie
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi All,
  my daughter just brought me a book from the library. Down in the Bone. by karen Harper. Murder and intrigue down among the Amish. The librarian says it is very good. So this weekend I will get started. Let you how it is.
                                      Judie
cm in tn

Post by cm in tn »

Hey girls stopping by to say hi to Linda, and Kristine my new friends on pintrest...No way to say howdy there so thought I would come here and say my welcomes...Also Kristine has become my fb friend..also.always room for one more at my table....So if you friend me please let me know you are on LDL cause me don't members every body....Sorry to high jack pg from readers....I like to read but have to be in mood..I do read my bible every day that should count lol... ;DHave a great day all.Got sun and 80 today in Tn WHEEEEEE!!!!At work me not happy :wrong:
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME : PHILIPPIANS 4:13