Whats everyone reading now?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Re: Whats everyone reading now?

Post by MsHeirloom »

I second that choice, Mary.  OMG!!!  Pam
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi everyone,
      I just started a new book over the weekend. Assault in Norway by Thomas Gallagher.  I am only into the 3rd chapter but find it very interesting. It begins speaking of the "heavy water" that Norway was creating for use in preparing the first atom bomb. Can't tell you more as thats all the further I am. I had a dear friend who grew up in Norway at that time. She would never talk much about that time as it was very scary. She was in her class room studying English with her fellow students when they heard lots of very loud voices and marching boots. The Nazi's came into their class room and demanded all books written in English and Norwegian to be handed over. The Nazi's gave them all their books in German and till the end of the war that's all they were permitted to use. She said on the way home every street corner had Nazi soldiers standing there.  That's about all she told of that time except how frightening it was.
      There is a book called the  Klipfish Code written by Mary Cassanova. She helped this lady in writing the book. It is very interesting although written on a young adult level or a little younger. 
      I will let you all know how the first book goes.
                                                Judie
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Kris (GraceFace) -- My husband is 1/2 way through the Harbinger and I'm going to read it after I finish Bonhoffer.  We have the video about it and it is very eye opening for sure.
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Just started reading A Night to Remember by Walter Lord- an account of the final hours of the Titanic. DF and I just saw the 3D theater version of Titanic a few nights ago- saw it once before when it came out in '99- so this book is filling in the gaps that the movie left out. Really interesting reading; though sad, of course.

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Sweet Rose, 
        The Titanic! My Grandma was in England caring for her sick mom at the time. She had written a letter home that she was fortunate to get a ticket in steerage on that great new ship The titanic.  But as she was waiting to board she received a telegram to return to moms house as she had a turn for the worse. So disappointed she sold her ticket back to the company and went home. Thank fully it was two weeks later that she returned to America.
        I am still reading Assault on Norway. It was slow reading in the beginning but is picking up now. About 1/2 way through.  I am gonna read Klip fish code next.
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Just realized last night that my book isn't as many pages as I thought -- it has 60 + pages in notes!  I have about 40 pages left of the actual book!!  It is sad, also, SweetRose, because I know that Bonhoffer is about to be executed by the Nazis -- even though they all know that the war is almost over and the Allies will win.  So sad.  This book is really good and made me realize that there were Germans fighting on the inside against the evil government.  The really sad part is that they reached out to the Allies to help them and they basically wouldn't help.  They were very aware that the world would look at all Germans as evil because of all that Hitler and his guys were doing.  

Snowbirdie -- thanks for sharing.  Amazing story!
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Wow Snowbirdie! Thanks for this awesome story! I'm so glad that your grandmother sold her ticket back. The outcome could well have been a sad ending. Did her mom recover during that time?

SweetRose
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

sweetrose  That was so long ago. I think her mom must have recovered as grandma came home.That was way before my time.              judie
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Sweet Rose, I'm now reading , A Night to Remember.  It is our book club's pick for this month.  It is unreal how people are saved from accidents.  When the Silver Bridge fell between Point Pleasant, W VA and Gallipolis, there were so many stories like Snowbirdie's grandmother's story.  I want to read the books, you have mentioned. I like history.  Some are very sad. Real life has happy and sad times.  :thumbsup:  JF
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Joyful Friend, somewhere I have a 1913 book all about the survivors of the Titanic- in their own words. I bought it years ago at an antique store and thought at the time that I was paying too much. Now I'm glad I bought it! But it is stacked somewhere on a shelf in my walk-thru closet made into a library, maybe behind hundreds of books. Tomorrow I plan to search for it. I also have a 1907 book about the San Francisco earthquake. I'll look for that one, too.

Boy, a lot of sad :'( but interesting reading!

Last edited by SweetRose on April 13th, 2012, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweetRose
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Sweet Rose, Tomorrow is a  hundred years  since the Titanic's sinking, and our Library is featuring several books and articles about it.  One of the first class travelers who died was from our town.  He is buried close by on a knoll over looking the Ohio River.  He is mentioned in the book a couple places.  There are a lot sad stories on every disaster.  They keep our attention.  *hug*  JF
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Boy, Joyful Friend, I would love to read any journals from the survivors of the Titanic. Even the youngest traveler is gone now, so there is no one left to talk about it. I'm going to look for letters that may have been compiled into a single book. First, though, I'm going to find my own old book! Haven't found the time to look yet today~

SweetRose
witheraway1
Master Member

Post by witheraway1 »

I JUST READ the NATIONAL EXAMINER, NEEDED SOME GOSSIP IN MY LIFE!  I DO THAT EVERY NOW AND THEN.
chewy

Post by chewy »

the starch solution by dr john mcdougall! excellent  starch based vegan diet book.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

SweetRose, If you find the book, it could be worth a good bit of money, especially if it is a first edition.  There will probably be some family members from the survivors who may find journals.  If so, I hope they publish them.  I thought Night to Remember was a thought emotional book.  I found myself angry that people flaunted their wealth so much, and others catered to them.  God created us all, so It's remarkable that in His sight, we  are all the same.  :)  JF
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

Yes, I scanned my mini "library" for the book, but didn't see it yet! I'll be looking for the San Francisco book, too. If anyone saw my stacks of books they would faint. :shock:

I'm just not into Kindlle  :stop:....and my library shows it! :laughing:

Last edited by SweetRose on April 21st, 2012, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweetRose
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Folks,
      I am reading the Klipfish Code now. It was a very scary time in Norway during the war. It seems Norway was a neutral nation but the Nazi's cared not. The whole of Norway was invaded by the Germans. Bombs fell even in the towns the farthest away from civilization. The children were sent to relatives far from the main land. But even at that the Nazi's would find them. They went to the local farms and confiscated as much foods as they could. Took clothing and blankets also. By the way klipfish is cod fish. Any way a good book.
                                          Judie
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

I actually prefer to hold the book in my hand. I work in a library. The staff is learning about Kindle, so we can answer questions about patrons who try to log onto our website to download kindle books for a two week loan period. I have downloaded the Kindle for PC onto my personal computer. It's easy to use and free. I like free. A book is a book is a book. I'll read books, books on CD, kindle books, etc.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

JoPaul- You are doing so well.  You'll be at goal before you know it!  Pam
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Pam and Friends,
I am doing well. I can't believe that I have lost 32lbs. When I first started LDL, I had lost 10lbs. I handed my husband a 10lb bag of potatoes and said "Hold this." He looked at me like I was an alien from another planet, but he held the bag of potatoes. I then said "That's how much weight I've lost." Then my words became a real life, more meaningful declaration of success. My husband jumped on the bandwagon (carb diet) and has lost 20 lbs or so. I'm very proud of him. I am also proud of myself. I don't consider this a diet, but a way of feeling better. I go to the doctor on June 14th, I can't wait to hear Dr Link's comments about my lower cholesterol, better blood pressure etc. A year ago, he was considering putting me on meds for blood pressure/cholesterol. He decided to wait to see if my cholesterol would go down on it's own. I'm so glad (hate to go on meds if I don't have to). I'm a prime candidate for diabetes (my parents, grandmother, and one brother had it), so I was scared that I would follow their same path. Now I think (hopefully) that I have prevented getting diabetes (Linda, is it possible to prevent it?).
*love* *love*
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown