Whats everyone reading now?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
SweetRose
Master Member

Re: Whats everyone reading now?

Post by SweetRose »

Tina, I'm not Linda ( who happens to give great advice) but I can tell you from all the research I've seen, diabetes can be prevented by diet and exercise. Success depends on the individual, of course.

Just recently one of my close friends was told that she was practically a full- blown diabetic. She began to lose weight and already her blood sugar has dropped substantially. The doctor told her to keep losing and the diabetes won't become a reality for her if she keeps it up with the exercise. Exercise is a MAJOR factor for keeping diabetes at bay.

Just my two cents, and know Linda probably has even more insightful information on the subject. I just wanted to tell you about my friend's experience!

SweetRose :rose:
Last edited by SweetRose on April 29th, 2012, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweetRose
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Been trying to answer you, Tina, for the past few hours but it seems my computer is acting up. Trying to answer from my phone. SweetRose is right. Diabetes can be prevented. You are on the right track
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

I'm currently reading Road to Grace, the third book in the Walk series by Richard Paul Evans. I absolutely loves the first two books. I want to hurry and read it. No I want to read it slow and enjoy it. It's a great series. I highly recommend it.
Tina
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRim6Wz/]

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Tina,
    Tell me a little about the series you are reading. I love to read series books.  I am reading  Dark Harvest  by Karen Harper. It is a mystery out among the Amish. It is the second one of her books that I have enjoyed.
                                            Judie
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Linda and Sweetrose,
Thanks for the diabetes info. My mother had it, my dad has it as well as my brother. Good News for me. I go to the doctor in June. I can't wait to see my results. Happy Mother's Day!
Tina

"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. "
~Author Unknown
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Snowbirdie,
Here's the synopsis of The Walk by Richard Paul Evans from Booklist:
Evans’ latest inspirational novel is the first in a planned series about a man who sets out to walk across the country in the wake of a personal tragedy. At 28, Alan Christoffersen is the head of his own successful ad company, and madly in love with his wife, McKale. His life seems truly charmed, until McKale has an accident while horseback riding. She is left paralyzed, and to stay by her side, Alan leaves his business in the hands of his partner, Kyle, which proves to be a terrible misstep when Kyle cruelly betrays him. Then McKale dies. Bereft, Alan throws off the trappings of his old life and, with little more than a backpack and a tent, sets out to walk from his home in Bellevue, Washington, all the way to Key West, Florida. The idea of a man leaving on a soul-searching cross-country trek is an intriguing one, and the pages turn quickly. Future installments will prove whether Evans’ concept holds up, but this initial offering is definitely a journey worth taking. --Kristine Huntley --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

The second book in the series Miles to Go by Richard Paul Evans:
Alan Christoffersen, a once-successful advertising executive, wakes one morning to find himself injured, alone, and confined to a hospital bed in Spokane, Washington. Sixteen days earlier, reeling from the sudden loss of his wife, his home, and his business, Alan left everything he knew behind and set off on an extraordinary cross-country journey. Carrying only a backpack, he planned to walk to Key West, the farthest destination on his map. But a vicious roadside stabbing has interrupted Alan’s trek and robbed him of his one source of solace: the ability to walk.

Homeless and facing months of difficult recovery, Alan has nowhere to turn—until a mysterious woman enters his life and invites him into her home. Generous and kind, Angel seems almost too good to be true, but all is not as it appears. Alan soon realizes that before he can return to his own journey, he must first help Angel with hers.
I'll send the next synopsis on the next e-mail.
Tina
From one of America’s most beloved and bestselling storytellers comes an astonishing tale of life and death, love and second chances, and why sometimes the best way to heal your own suffering is by helping to heal someone else’s. Inspiring, moving, and full of wisdom, Miles to Go picks up where the bestseller The Walk left off, continuing the unforgettable series about one man’s unrelenting search for hope.

~Author Unknown
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

The text in the previous e-mail was jumping as I was typing, so that's why I put my comment and name in the middle. Anyway, here's the synopsis on the last and final book. I'll be happy and sad to finish it. Happy to find out what happens and sad that I have concluded a pleasant experience. I'm actually hoping that there is another book, he's currently (where I'm at in the third book) in Sidney, Iowa. He's no where near Key West Florida. I hope there's another part to his series.

Road to Grace:
Join one of America’s beloved storytellers on a walk like no other: one man’s unrelenting search for hope.
Reeling from the sudden loss of his wife, his home, and his business, Alan Christoffersen, a once-successful advertising executive, has left everything he knew behind and set off on an extraordinary cross-country journey. Carrying only a backpack, he is walking from Seattle to Key West, the farthest destination on his map.

Now almost halfway through his trek, Alan sets out to walk the nearly 1,000 miles between South Dakota and St. Louis, but it’s the people he meets along the way who give the journey its true meaning: a mysterious woman who follows Alan’s walk for close to a hundred miles, the ghost hunter searching graveyards for his wife, and the elderly Polish man who gives Alan a ride and shares a story that Alan will never forget.

Full of hard-won wisdom and truth, The Road to Grace is a compelling and inspiring novel about hope, healing, grace, and the meaning of life.

Tina

~Author Unknown
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Tina,
sounds like a good read. I will have to see if the library has a copy. I am reading an M.C. Beaton book now. As the pig turns. Also The daughters of Lancastor county an Amish story.  I usually have 2 or 3 books going at the same time. It seems one is never enough.
                              Judie
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Snowbirdie,
I usually have 2 or 3 books going at the same time also. I finished the Walk series. Now I'm reading "The Witness" by Nora Roberts, and "Michael Vey The Prisoner of Cell 25" (it's a young adult book about a kid with tourett's syndrome) by Richard Paul Evans.
Tina

~Author Unknown
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Tina,
  You have good books going too. Today I got another karen Harper book  Dark Angel The library sends them to me automatically
                                Judie

Last edited by snowbirdie on May 15th, 2012, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Tina, the Walk series sounds like it would be a very good read! Also, my middle son has tourette's syndrome. So, I may see if I can find a copy of that book as well. Thanks for the review!
Shari

jopaul

Post by jopaul »

I began experimenting with Kindle, curious and the library receives numerous questions about book downloading. I downloaded the app. to my pc just for kicks and giggles. Yesterday, my boss offered to let me borrow the library's Kindle Fire. I eagerly accepted the two week loan. It makes sense for me to learn the process of downloading, book selection etc so I can help the many people who approach me with concerns and questions. I had fun  yesterday with the Kindle. Did you know that you can make the font (print) bigger? I haven't gotten that far yet. So far it's just turning it on, logging onto the internet. Maybe tomorrow I can actually download a book to it. Here's hoping that I can achieve that goal.
Tina

~Author Unknown
chewy

Post by chewy »

"the first twenty minutes" by gretchen reynolds.it is about exercising for 20 minutes is all we need for health benefits and how less is more ! good read!of course , we can do more exercise if desired but strolling is all we need if we prefer.humans were meant to walk!no special equipment needed.have any of you read it yet?
SweetRose
Master Member

Post by SweetRose »

I have a book somewhere written by a doctor who says 20 minutes 3 times a week will keep us fit as a fiddle! I like the way he thinks, and will dig this book up to read again~ :thumbsup:

SweetRose :rose:
SweetRose
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

SweetRose and Chewy,
If that's true, then I'm doing okay. I'm kind of at a crossroads. I want to walk, walk, walk, but my foot aches that night and especially the next day. It makes me wonder if I'm doing too much.

I haven't read the book. Thanks for the info.
Tina

~Author Unknown
Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

"Did you know that you can make the font (print) bigger? I haven't gotten that far yet."

Tina,
I love my Kindle, it's paid for itself 3 x over.  To make the print bigger press the  Aa  key and you'll have your choice of font size!  You can also change the view, which way the text displays, sideways, etc.  Lots of options! 

I get tons of free books on amazon.com, search for free books on Kindle!

I love my KINDLE *love*
Doreen
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Hi Folks,
    If you are on facebook you can get lists of free books for kindle (or nook) everyday

I love kindle
booksy
inspired read
ent
pixel of ink
free christion fiction for your kindle

these are just the ones I can remember, I will look for more if you want.

Happy reading!
                      kris
Last edited by graceface66 on May 20th, 2012, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
jopaul

Post by jopaul »

Sharolyn,
Did you read "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult? It's a good book about a young man with autism. Here's the synopsis:

HOUSE RULES is about Jacob Hunt, a teenage boy with Asperger’s Syndrome. He’s hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, and like many kids with AS, Jacob has a special focus on one subject – in his case, forensic analysis.

He’s always showing up at crime scenes, thanks to the police scanner he keeps in his room, and telling the cops what they need to do…and he’s usually right. But then one day his tutor is found dead, and the police come to question him. All of the hallmark behaviors of Asperger’s – not looking someone in the eye, stimulatory tics and twitches, inappropriate affect – can look a heck of a lot like guilt to law enforcement personnel -- and suddenly, Jacob finds himself accused of murder. HOUSE RULES looks at what it means to be different in our society, how autism affects a family, and how our legal system works well for people who communicate a certain way – but lousy for those who don’t.

I've loved all of the Jodi Picoult's that I've read (6 so far). House Rules is still my favorite.
Here's Jodi's website about it.
http://jodipicoult.com/house-rules.html
Have a great day! Tina

~Author Unknown
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

WOW Tina you are at a nearly perfect BMI right now (25 is the goal)!
Congratulations!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

House Rules is a good book.  I am going to get Road to Grace next.  I just finished Megan Hart's book All Fall Down.  There will be one to follow it.  I may have to wait a couple years.  It needs to be finished.  :laughing:  :thumbsup:  JF