For Newbies, Foods to avoid on LDL

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LINDA RN
Master Member

For Newbies, Foods to avoid on LDL

Post by LINDA RN »

Found this on a blog link through Wheat Belly:

In general, avoid the following foods unless they’re labeled as gluten-free or made with corn, rice, soy or other gluten-free grain:
Beer
Breads
Cakes and pies
Candies
Cereals
Cookies and crackers
Croutons
French fries
Gravies
Imitation meat or seafood
Matzo
Pastas
Processed luncheon meats
Salad dressings
Sauces, including soy sauce
Seasoned rice mixes
Seasoned snack foods, such as potato and tortilla chips
Self-basting poultry
Soups and soup bases
Vegetables in sauce

Certain grains, such as oats, can be contaminated with wheat during growing and processing stages of production. For this reason, doctors and dietitians generally recommend avoiding oats unless they are specifically labeled gluten-free.

I’ve also been in a few discussions about whether or not wheatgrass and barleygrass contain gluten. Wheatgrass is prevalent in many supplements and vitamins. It is a health drink ingredient used by many. My rudimentary plant knowledge suggests that gluten is only contained inside the kernels. However, I’ve studied research that suggests that because protein is needed for plant growth, certain proteins are stored in the grass form of the plant. However, this is a different type of protein…not “gluten” per say. Again, using today’s most-used research tool (Google) I found mixed responses. Some people have an allergy to wheat specifically. Some have Celiac Disease and are therefore allergic to gluten. There is a difference. According to reknowned Celiac author and sufferer, Jane Anderson, ” Pure wheat grass and barley grass (just the grass, with absolutely no seeds) do not contain gluten.” Now, I did find in my Google research that there is sometimes contamination when manufacturing wheatgrass with seeds, other gluten-containing materials, etc.  Anderson also refers to labeling rules established by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “In fact, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, in its proposed gluten-free label rules, has said that wheat grass and barley grass could be used to make foods labeled gluten-free, as long as they do not contain 20 parts per million or more of gluten.”

If you are allergic to wheat, avoid wheatgrass. If you are allergic to gluten, avoid wheatgrass unless it is labeled gluten-free and has passed the R5 ELISA cross-contamination test.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
Sharolyn

Re: For Newbies, Foods to avoid on LDL

Post by Sharolyn »

Thanks, Linda, for posting this. I didn't realize we were to avoid salad dressings & soy sauce. Or is it just the ones that have sugar & high fat content?
Shari

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Sorry for the confusion.
The list was posted on the internet as foods to avoid if you are going completely gluten free.
Apparently some salad dressings and Soy Sauces must contain some wheat.
READ LABELS.
Roger has said though, that if the first 5 ingredients are LDL friendly, and not eating something would cause you to jump track, then have it in small amounts.
Eventually you can live withought most edibles that have more than 5 ingredients!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

Got it! Thanks again!  :)
Shari

nana thomas

Post by nana thomas »

Thanks Linda..everything helps...I've sort of been a newbie yoyo..but I love this way of eating, doesn't seem like a diet at all..But I am here to say no more yoyo..I'm here to stick..so lets all get back and keep each other encouraged..I need it...I go on LDL message boards every day..Thanks you have inspired me..Nana Thomas
Sharolyn

Post by Sharolyn »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Shari

tiffanykustron
New, but learning

Post by tiffanykustron »

Thank you!  This is helpful! ---  Why can't we have soup/soup bases?
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

tiffany most of them are LOADED with sugar, MSG, wheat meal or flour.  All of these ingredients will cause feeding frenzies and derail you.  You can make your own soup base using stock though and they are not only better for you but taste fabo!    :D

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

LP's right.
READ LABELS!
Some chicken and most all the beef broth, and most all bullion is loaded with MSG.
A few advertise they do not have MSG, but still have to read for wheat or other grains added as thickener.
Linda

tiffanykustron
New, but learning

Post by tiffanykustron »

I did not know this! Thanks!