Newcomers ... Please introduce yourself!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
early

Re: Newcomers ... Please introduce yourself!

Post by early »

Hello from East TN! I am a newcomer, I received LDL last week and I am loving it! I started the plan the day after I got the book in the mail. My husband has celiac disease; he must eat gluten free…this means no wheat, barley, rye, oat… we prepare our meals from fresh ingredients and buy very few processed foods. This diet will be great for us.  I’d like to thank the young lady who walked into Smoky Mountain Knife Works and told me about this book!   If you’re out there, leave me a message!
akashawolfe
New, but learning

Post by akashawolfe »

Hi there, My Name is Akasha, "Kash" for short.  I am new and waiting for my book!  I am excited about just the recipes I have seen on your posts!  My fiance and I both have health issues relating to weight.... he has severe sleep apnea, and I have already had a gastric bypass that only garnered me a minor weight loss, in comparison to what might be healthy for me.   On top of that...I have had ton's of complications from it....I personally do not recommend it as a solution. 
I want a new way of eating....I want to be healthy again.  I hope this is the key for me....I'm PAST the final turn for weight loss...I went too far already with that surgery and near ruined myself.  Thanks for any input.

Kash
Last edited by akashawolfe on September 27th, 2006, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If that which you seek you find not within yourself. you'll not find it without."
annie1221

Post by annie1221 »

My name is Annie and I saw Roger this morning on WJZ Morning news in Baltimore.  I am closing in on 400 Lbs and need to lose many, many pounds just like Roger did.  How long did it take him to lose that many lbs?  I've tried every diet in the world and am too scared to have the surgery to lose weight.  Hopefully, this can be the last diet I'm following.  I don't have the book yet, but will have it soon, and wanted to know how I can start TODAY!  Any basics I could learn NOW? I have knee and arthritis problems which as they get worse, the fat increases even more!  I was thrilled to hear that exercise wasn't a big part of this life plan.  Can't wait to get started! I've got a long road to travel but it'll be well worth it!
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Welcome, Annie! Read thru the last 3 pages on the General Discussion/Newcomers board and you'll see several posts there advising how to get started on the plan. And go thru the recipes to give yourself an idea of some of the ingredients you'll need to eat the LDL way. Beans and fruit have a prominent place in the LDL way of eating. Ditch the junk from your cupboards and fridge, pick a few recipes out to get started, make the shopping list out, and you'll be on your way starting with your very next meal. Wishing you much success! ......NYKath
CJ

Post by CJ »

I saw Roger on a local talk show last month and ordered the book right away. I am waiting for the new version in hopes it will help me toward a new way of eating and living. Roger encouraged me to start now by looking at this site. So that is what I am doing.

Changing many years of bad habits is going to be very difficult for me. I enjoy my daily giant sized salted nut rolls, peanuts, bagels, fried eggs, potatoes, (diet Pepsi – does that count?), everything. I love to eat. I eat when I am sad. I eat when I am happy. I eat big portions. And I eat fast. I have tried diet pills but they make me shaky and very hungry if I haven’t eaten for a few hours. Besides, I hate taking any pills. I also have those Slim Fast things. But, unless I have fresh strawberries and cool whip to add, they expire before I drink them. 

I love to cook (and eat). My husband is a great cook too. He keeps bringing me more food or talking me into eating the leftovers. He can eat that way and barely gain weight. I can't. We both agree that I need to take off a few pounds. He says 30 or 40 max. However, I know I am about 75 pounds over weight. There are a lot of mind games that go with this whole eating/diet thing. And although we have a good marriage, our 12 o'clock breakfast/lunch and 8 o'clock dinners, and comfort foods throughout the day has
got to stop.

Another thing that has contributed to my weight gain is that 6 years ago I have started to work out of the house. Fitting in to my dress clothing and high heels is no longer an issue when I hardly ever leave the house. As I am finishing my thoughts, I am chewing on a handful of caramels that my husband just put on my desk (his intentions are good). Anyway, I am 48 and want to enter my ‘change of life’ years as a healthier woman than I am now. I am not sure I can do it. I do need help.   
niki

Post by niki »

hi carla..you absolutely CAN do this.....once you stop eating sugar and all the unhealthy carbs,you won't miss that stuff...i don't and i've been doing this for almost 9 months.....i would say the longest diet i've ever been on lasted MAYBE 2 months....i LOVE to eat...i LOVE food....i HATE being hungry.....
  this program of eating is actually good for someone who's home a lot..it'll mean you'll have all the right foods available at the right time.....in the first few months on this program,my daughter told me "i don't know how you're going to lose weight...every time i see you you're eating"...
  go on the question and answer  board and look for the topic "can someone help a sista out" and look for tom's post....it'll give you all the basics......
  THIS was the answer for me...it really was...i have an underactive thyroid and had given up trying to lose weight...i have NEVER been so in control of what i eat in my whole life......let's do lunch has changed my life...it will do the same for you if you follow it the way it's outlined in tom's post.........i wish you success(and get your husband to bring you frozen grapes and fruit instead of candy).....................God bless you................niki         
CJ

Post by CJ »

Thanks Niki. So far it has been frustrating to even find the recipes. I think I have the basic ones, except the LDL Burger. I will find what you told me about. Thank you. 
When you talk about frozen grapes, they can be fresh can't they?
Thanks again,
Carla
niki

Post by niki »

when they were in season,i would buy them on sale for $.88 or $.99/lb...soak them,take them off the stem and freeze them in freezer bags....they are GREAT......like a little smoothie.................
  let me tell you,when i first came on these boards,you had to scroll side to side and i used to only be able to stay on the boards for a while..it made me dizzy......it's so much easier now.....and to find tom's post,you just have to look for the topic i told you and look for his name...if i bring it up,you're still going to have to scroll through to find it.........................niki
Last edited by niki on October 7th, 2006, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi and Welcome, Carla! One of the wind bags here, so bear with me! :) Make good use of the Search button when you're on the Recipe boards to find the best of the best here. Just look them up by ingredient - beans, soups, smoothies, turkey, etc. - and you should be on your way quickly. The Search feature usually works very well. Since your hubs is such a good cook in addition to yourself, maybe put him up to the challenge of whipping up the healthy recipes here for both of you, maybe even with his own twists. You may be the one who needs to lose weight the most, but he's also going to have to change how he feels about cooking and feeding the two of you in general if you're going to be a success at losing weight. (No more having leftovers pushed on you, especially if they're not the high quality food that's good for you.) Gotta make him understand that you're serious about your endeavors and that there can't be any sabotaging of the food plan from the head chef. There are most definitely mind games being played when it comes to food, love, and weight loss. You have to be in the right "head" to be a success and you need the support of your family members to help see you through. That said...ditch the nasty snacks from your cabinets and fridge and make some popcorn be your snack for this evening - as much as you want - maybe with some fruit or raisins if you're still wildly hungry after that - and you'll be on your way. Popcorn is a big nighttime snack here, as much as you want, but have it plain, or just salted, or just with some olive oil spray, or just plain olive oil drizzled over it, garlic or onion powder, etc. Only allowable versions, though - no kettle corn, no cheddar popcorn, no caramelized peanuts mixed in, no buttered movie style, etc. You'll catch the drift as you go through more and more of the posts. Read thru the suggested posts like Niki said, pick a few recipes out to start with for the next few days, make a shopping list out, and happy trails to you both tomorrow as you begin your journey! ...and the grapes most certainly can be fresh, but a frozen grape is really something special. You can make it last longer in your mouth and the iciness of it makes it like a little icepop treat. And freezing them makes them super sweet, too. Put a couple in a baggie in your freezer tonight so you can sample them in the morning. Delish! Kids love them that way, too! Wishing you success.... NYKath
Michael Thompson
New, but learning

Post by Michael Thompson »

Hello
A friend told me about LDL and I am needing to improve my eating big time! I got the book and I like how he gives all the glory to God.
Looks like a real sound eating plan for the most part and I am gonna give it a try. I have lots of questions, so I like how this forum is set up! cool stuff ;D
Are you good enough to go to heaven? take the test
http://www.livingwaters.com/good/
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Welcome and good luck to you, Mike! What good luck you have that a friend brought you here! ...:)  NYKath
Mike

Post by Mike »

From one Mike to another, welcome to LDL.  I started the program 7 months ago and I feel I have been very successful.  I hope you enjoy the ride, because it is the healthiest way there is to eat. Should you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to help, and have a little fun at the same time. Keep in touch and good luck... Mike
Michael Thompson
New, but learning

Thanks for the welcome! I have only been on it for two days and notice a nice boost in energy. the only thing I dont like is frequent urination. I hope that goes away once I get used to the new foods, then is should be smooth sailin' ;)
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

It will, Mike!

I had the same thing when I first started - not to worry - your body will regulate itself.  Welcome!  I think you'll love it here!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Michael Thompson
New, but learning

Thanks Carolyn! 8)
akashawolfe
New, but learning

Post by akashawolfe »

;D  THANKS Roger....I hope to have my book soon, but I don't want to wait to get started!  My fiance and I are getting married next September and both of us are doing Let's Do Lunch.  WE hope to be a MUCH healthier couple by then...  We've both tried so many avenues and nothing really has helped us.  I'm trying Bean salads and Pizza soup this week!  We're eating popcorn and fruit till the cows come home, and we both have more energy already and feel like maybe even a few pounds have dropped off .

Keep staying in touch with us all Roger...It's beyond helpful, it's a blessing. 

God Bless you...
Kash
"If that which you seek you find not within yourself. you'll not find it without."
niki

Post by niki »

hi kash..that's wonderful that the two of you are doing let's do lunch together....the best synopsis of this program on these boards is a post by tom casola on the question/answer board under the topic "help a sista"...something like that......that'll give you a great overview while you're waiting for your book...i wish you both success......niki     
niki

Post by niki »

hi carla..even fat free milk(or yogurt or cheese) is meant to be an occasional treat as roger still believes fat free dairy products are still fattening...
  and orange juice or any juices that don't contain sugar in any form(including high fructose corn syrup) are acceptable and a lot of the people on these boards use juices when making their smoothies......but,you have to be aware that different people lose weight at different rates......i used to have a juicer and i remember how surprised i was at how many apples it took to make a glass of apple juice.....the right amount of fruit to eat is how much whole fruit it takes to make you feel full....if you lose weight easily,you won't have a problem with juice....i personally don't lose weight easily and have been on this program for almost 9 months and i don't drink juice(well,2 ounces of noni juice).......so,the whole fruit is better,but you can drink unsweetened juice in moderation.....if you love smoothies and you like them with juice,go ahead and enjoy them...........welcome to our boards..........niki   
songbirdk

Post by songbirdk »

Hi, I decided to register and join.  I bought the book one week ago but haven't started to read it yet.   I'm a  little worried about all that cooking.  I like to cook but it does seem like a lot.  I am also reluctant to start yet another diet and fail.  I have seen Mr. Wilson several times on TV and he is so inspirational.  It makes you feel that if he can do it so can I.    I have about 60 lbs to lose.  Seems like climbing a mountain to me.  I like to read the success stories on your web site.   I will start reading the book today.  I know you should read it at least three times.  Well..here  goes!!! :)

I'm sorry, I didn't really introduce myself.  I call myself songbirdk because I like to sing and use to to it professionally.  Maybe if I lose enough weight I'll sing in public again.  I am married for 21 years and have one boy and one girl.  They keep me hoppin or should I say drivin!!!  I just drive from school to school- lol!!!  I did start reading the book and could relate to so much of what Troy went through.    Thank you all for your words of encouragement.  ;)
Last edited by songbirdk on October 2nd, 2006, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.