Newcomers ... Please introduce yourself!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
visanti

Re: Newcomers ... Please introduce yourself!

Post by visanti »

Hi Tori,

I saw Roger on the Early Show in NY some time last week and ordered the book right away.  Just finished reading the book and am very excited.

I have tried just about every diet you can mention ( and failed) on some diets I gained weight.  I need to lose about 50 pounds for health purposes.  The problem is I am not a good dieter.  First of all, I grew up thinking that salad consisted of lettuce, tomatoes and a can of peas and carrots and corn.  Hardly ever ate fruit. So what's left?  Bread, rice, beans and meat.  As  you can see.  I need help.

I am planning on starting with the smoothies this week-end.  You see, I have to go the the supermarket, I have no fruit in the house.

I have a question,  We tend to favor pink beans and I did not see them on any of the recipes or mentioned in the book.  Is there a reason for that and is it ok to eat pink beans.

I really need all the help I can get so thanks for listening.
niki

Post by niki »

hi.............so glad you found let's do lunch....eating this way,you WILL lose all the weight you want to lose.....if you don't lose easily,it might take a little longer than some,but don't be discouraged...i have an underactive thyroid and lost 25 pounds in 5 months....i was really a lost cause(read my story on the success board("my success story in progress")eating this way is GREAT...it's going to be 6 months that i've been eating this way and for me this is longer than i have ever stayed on anything............
  i have always loved fruit...but,to tell you the truth,most of the time i didn't have it in the house....i was too busy eating junk food............  
 you can eat all beans.....and any new recipes you might have will be greatly appreciated.......there are loads on the boards...i posted greek bean soup which is really easy and there is my favorite israeli chickpea soup.....i posted a recipe for lentil soup and you can use the same basic recipe to make a soup with all different dried beans(i especially like the flavor that the black beans add when i mix the beans up)....you should always soak them the night before because you lose less vitamins and protein that way.....when you combine the different beans,you improve the quality of the protein.............try it..........canned beans are good for a fast meal(make sure there is no sugar in them and always rinse them thoroughly)but dried beans are always better........i posted info on beans on the discussion board called"beans..they're what's for lunch AND dinner"and on the tips for healthy living,kay posted "eat beans and be a string bean"..check them out................   
     eat the sweetest fruit.....homemade bean soups...EAT UNTIL FULL....keep the more portable snacks handy so that you are NEVER HUNGRY...popcorn,soynuts(with or without raisins) and roasted chick peas(with or without raisins)..if you're in ny,you can definitely find roasted chick peas...in some supermarkets or in greek or mediterranean specialty stores...people from india also eat them..i put them in the blender to make flour that i use to make meat balls(i posted that recipe)and i use it to make oven fried chicken...............ask any questions...i love questions.......welcome to our boards........sincerely,niki
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
visanti

Post by visanti »

Thanks for the advice everyone.  :)

I especially like the one with the flour made from chickpeas?  I will look to see if I find the recipe you posted.
niki

Post by niki »

hi..there is one thing i want to tell you..even when a flour is acceptable,you can't really buy the flour already ground because you can't be sure of what might be mixed in(what else is ground on the same equipment)...chickpea flour is acceptable when you ground it yourself..and it's so easy to do...there's no reason not to....make sure to use more salt than you normally would with breadcrumbs because the breadcrumbs already have salt in them and the chickpea flour doesn't ...................good luck................niki 
rivers

Post by rivers »

Tori wrote:The LDL team would like to welcome all of our new friends to Let's Do Lunch! Please take a moment to post here, and let us know you have joined the ranks of the LDL family.

This thread is meant as a "Meet and Greet", so please introduce yourselves, so we can welcome you properly!   ;D

God bless you, and again, welcome to our family!

The LDL Team

HI,
I'm new to the boards, but have been reading posts and following LDL for a few weeks. Easiest thing I've been on in years. Looking forward to talking to many.
Rivers
niki

Post by niki »

hi rivers...so you're already doing this....and have been for 3 weeks....you've been reading the boards and you see what we advise people starting out to do......i don't want to be repetitive....so i'll just tell you that i'm very happy that you've found this wonderful way of eating...i've become addicted to let's do lunch foods and don't even think about food the way i used to...this has really changed my life....................
  take a look at everything the boards have to offer...there are a couple of good postings about beans..one is mine and is on the discussion board "beans..they're what's for lunch AND dinner"...and kay's posting on the tips for healthy living board "eat beans and be a string bean"...
  if you have ANY questions,please don't hesitate to ask..............welcome...................niki       
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
loves2smile

Post by loves2smile »

Hi to all-

I am new to LDL.  I am very excited about the program!!
Any tips/suggestions are welcomed!! :)
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
niki

Post by niki »

hi l2s.....well,it looks like you love to smile.....NOW,you're going to have even more to smile about than before....i've been on and off diets all my life......NOTHING worked like this....i lost slowly compared to a lot of people on these boards,but with an underactive thyroid,the thirty pounds that i have lost in less than 6 months is tremendous....this program has changed my life..i am so blessed to be a part of it...
  once you remove from your diet sugar/grains/nuts/seeds,your blood sugars stabilize...they're kept even more stable by eating beans(corn and peas).see my post on the discussion board entitled "beans...they're what's for lunch AND dinner"...and kay's post on the tips for healthy living board "eat beans and be a string bean".......then,cravings become a thing of the past..eat the sweetest fruit...homemade bean soups(check the boards..there are loads of easy ones)EAT UNTIL FULL....keep the more portable snacks handy so that you are NEVER HUNGRY...popcorm("i can't believe it's not butter" spray...olive oil spray),soynuts(with or without raisins),roasted chick peas(with or without raisins...if you can find them).................
   you have the potential to lose all the weight you wnat to lose and be your ideal weight..........ask ANY questions.....we're all here to help you.......sincerrely,niki 
Last edited by niki on July 7th, 2006, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VM2006
New, but learning

Post by VM2006 »

I am Sheryl and so pleased to be here.  Have the book on order from amazon.  To be honest, I am following the principles from a book called Volumetrics, which is based on eating low caloric density foods to satisfaction, and the Let's Do Lunch plan fits right in.

Also, I was looking for a support forum that is Christian based.  I belong to the Weight Watchers support forum, but it can be sarcastic and at times mean-spirited with too many huge egos.  I was very unhappy every time I logged in, and it finally occurred to me there has to be something better, that belonging to a support group should be uplifting and not try and break your spirit.  I do believe I have found it!

I'll be receiving my book in a few days.
niki

Post by niki »

hi sheryl,i'm so glad you found let's do lunch.....you can now LOSE ALL THE WEIGHT YOU WANT TO LOSE......it's unbelievable that we can eat this way,have no cravings and LOSE WEIGHT...........
  the 2 things that i feel contributed most to my success in progress(which is the name of my post on the success boards)is being able to eat as much as i want of the sweetest FRUIT...my favorite stuff that most "diets" don't allow...........watermelon,grapes,cherries,peaches......and
BEANS.......i love eating my homemade bean soups...i crave these 2 things....so much so,that when i came home from work,i defrosted soup from my freezer because it was what i had to have....................
  keep the more portable snacks handy which is what i particularly recommend to those starting out.....soynuts(with or without raisins),popcorm(with "i can't believe it's not butter" spray or olive oil spray) and roasted chick peas(if you can find them)................
   there is NOTHING like this way of eating.......it saved my life and i thank God for it everyday along with my friends here on these boards,especially roger troy....i lift them all up before the Lord when i pray..........i am SO blessed......there IS a blessing for you here too,sheryl.......SO glad you found it.....................and welcome to our boards.......................niki
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VM2006
New, but learning

Post by VM2006 »

Roger and Niki, thank you so much for your responses.  I am so glad to be here, and can't wait until I get my book.  God bless you both.
Sandywith 7

Post by Sandywith 7 »

:)I saw Roger the last couple of minutes on a morning show in Houston the day my family was leaving for a weeks stay at the "beautiful" beach in Galveston (I think that was July 4th).  I was facinated, and when the title of the book was mentioned, I told my husband to either write it down, or help me to remember.  Well, it was never written down, but I did remember the word LUNCH in the title and was anxious to get ahold of the book.

I did go into a book store in Galveston and had the helper do a book search using the word LUNCH, but the search failed. 

So, upon my family's return from our wonderful stay in Galveston (a much needed vacation for my husband and 7 children) I did a LUNCH search online and found this website. YEAH!!!  I should get the book today.

My real intro.

I am a wife to a wonderful husband who has just retired from the Houston Police Force after 17 years.

I am a mom to 7 beautiful children, only one being a boy.  The oldest is 17 and the youngest is 5. None of my children deal have overweight issues, but could certainly improve on their eating (curbing the sweet tooth)

I am always within 5-10 lbs of my desired weight.  In the last 20 years I have only gone out of my range while pregnant. Prior to that I suffered with anerexia during my college years.  I have never really been overweight, but have dealt with devotion to food cravings since I can remember. Marriage and having children really saved me from the life of being anerexic (and the wonderful Lord Jesus).  This will  give you an idea of my poor eating habits of my anerexic days:
Wake up early...have two cookies...jump rope 30 minutes.  Lunch would be 2 more cookies (usually choco chips) and 30 more minutes of exercise...2 more cookies for dinner...30 more minutes of exercise.  Night time snack would be allowed if I exercised anoter 30 minutes. 

Iwas a horrible eater during my sad college days, and my studies were in  nutrition and healthy living.  I live a wonderful life today.

Now, my dh is about 20-30 lbs overweight, takes blood pressure, cholesterol, and acid reflux medicines.  I am sure the LDL plan would be perfect for him.  The best part of this plan is that he loves beans and soups.

So, I really think LDL woul be great to implement in this house.  Unfortunately, all 9 of us are addicted to sweets.  I would love to change our way of eating.  I have tried, on occasion, but have always been met with huge resistance  I have young children that want only McDonalds chickn nuggets or cereal.  Sigh, I know I am the grocery shopper and the cook, so I take full responsibility.  Oh, my 14 year old son insists he hates beans (although I think he doesn't want to deal with the result of eating them, lol). 

Overall, it is my dh I am concerned about.   He is a wonderful gift from God and I want him with us for a long time.  He always has good intentions with food, but doesn't have a "stick to it" with any kind of diet.  I really think he would go for LDL mostly becuse of his love for beans.  Hopefully I can change my children.  I would love to have encouragement  and testimonies of changing a large family's eating style. 

I know this is long, but I have enjoyed reading through the message boards and you are all so inspiring. 

Thank you Roger.

Blessings and strength in the Lord,
Sandy
niki

Post by niki »

hi sandy.......God bless you...this wasn't a coincidence...i like what richard said....coincidence is when God chooses to remain anonymous.......you just start cooking some of these recipes....start buying more fruit and less junk....this will be good for your WHOLE family..........
   ang will read this and get in touch with you....she is the one on these boards with 7 children and i see a lot of parallels here...first and foremost,you both really love the Lord........
   as He has helped all of us with this program of eating, He will help you and your family...............read the book...these boards have so much info also....eat until full and keep snacks handy..you will definitely want to look for the corn thins and the soynut butter....if you're always within 5-10 pounds of your ideal weight,it probably won't take you more than a few weeks(maybe a month) to reach ideal weight......and in that case,you can also talk to ang about how she's maintaining her ideal weight(she's been doing it for over 6 months)....this program makes me kind of anorexic(i really eat for hunger and not for appetite or cravings)so be aware of that possibllity for yourself as you go on maintenance....
  i'm so happy you found let's do lunch....your blessing is here.............welcome to our boards...........in Him,niki
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Hi Everyone:

My name is Joe. I heard Roger on a radio interview yesterday and was very impressed with his philosophy and the program. I will pick up the book today and get started. In fact, I think I will pick one up for my boss as well(he and I have been dieting buddies for years).

My goal is to get back to a weight loss I had managed to achieve a few years ago (235, I am 6'7 and currently weigh 340).

Good Luck to all of us!
Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
niki

Post by niki »

hi joe....it's wonderful that you heard about let's do lunch.....you have the potential to lose all the weight you want to lose........and how great is it to have a buddy at work to do it with you.......
   the absence of sugar/grains/nuts/seeds stabilizes your blood sugars....eating beans helps that....check out my post on the discussion board, "beans..they're what's for lunch AND dinner" and kay's on tips for healthy living,"eat beans and be a string bean".........
   eat the sweetest fruit(a good time of the year to start)...and keep snacks handy so that you're NEVER HUNGRY....soynuts,popcorn....loads of other snacks you can eat...cornthins....i.m.healthy soynut butter(look for the one with no sugar).......
   between the book and the boards,you're off to a great start........ask any questions you can think of...we love questions.....congratulations on finding this wonderful life changing program and welcome to our boards..............niki
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tcasola
Administrator

Newcomers ... Please introduce yourself! -- Hello my name is Tom

Post by tcasola »

On approximately June 24 I saw Roger Troy Wilson on the New York CBS 2 News, and his story is comparable to mine. I’m turning 43, and I am way over 400 pounds - with a 60 inch waist. I’ve tried numerous of diets, only to fail. I know I am coming close to an early grave. I asked the Lord for guidance to lose weight, and then (miraculously) this program appears. I have ordered the book, and I've read it 3 times (as Roger suggested). Today is day 1 of my new life. With the Lord's (and the fellow LDL posters) help, I know I gonna succeed.

It's nice to see we're all in the same boat, and there are people on this site who are really willing to help. God bless you all.

Tom

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”