Newcomers ... Please introduce yourself!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
stephanieh1967

Re: Newcomers ... Please introduce yourself!

Post by stephanieh1967 »

Hi all and thanks for the warm welcomes and incouragement. The barnes and noble I went to was in Valparaiso Indiana and they also called or looked up the merrillville indiana store no luck.
thanks
stephanie
niki

Post by niki »

hi stephanie.....that's rough waiting for the book....but,if you read these boards you can get a good idea of what's what..and if you have questions,i could go over them with you here on the boards or you could send me a personal message............niki
Betty

Post by Betty »

Hi niki and nyKath,

In response to your suggestion from yesterday when I introduced myself and questioned whether I could eat  pecans, I just want to thank you for your suggestion of trying soy nuts instead.  I have never had soy nuts before, bought some today and they are just delicious!! I just love trying all these new recipes.  So far I haven't found one I don't like. 

Thanks again,
Betty 
flwrswlt
New, but learning

Post by flwrswlt »

Hi my name is Madelon and I have been reading the boards and absorbing the information. I have ordered my book but it has not arrived. I have over 100lbs to lose. I am 47 and it is getting harder and harder to lose wt. I am not sure about smoothies for breakfast though. What else can I have?

I do have a question about the brand Ortega Tostads Shells the ingredients are listed as: yellow corn, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, water, salt, corn flour, hydrated lime.  Also, if refried beans are only canned would they be ok as well?  Thanks in advance.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Madelon! Welcome... You really do need your book, but let's see what you're asking about here...first, you don't have to have "breakfast" food for breakfast, but if your smoothie is big enough (make the entire blenderful, using SEVERAL kinds of fresh and frozen ruits, just for yourself if you think you can get that much down!) it should keep your belly happy for a few hours. Take your time drinking it and enjoying it. Some of the LDLers are lucky enough to stay full until lunchtime after having one! IF your smoothie doesn't fill you up, then have an egg or two, maybe even with some salsa on top (if the salsa doesn't contain sugar.) Yummy! The idea is to eat until FULL with the good allowable foods on the plan.

The tostada shells are not allowed on the plan because of the corn FLOUR. Flour and grains aren't allowed on the plan. If you feel the need to crunch, eat dry roasted soy nuts, chick peas, popcorn, or the Corn Thins (like a rice cake but only half as thick and made from popcorn. Wonderful!) And always veggies for snacks, as many as you can get in, if you're hungry between meals when first starting the plan.

And refried beans would be okay as they're a bean if you eat the vegetarian ones that don't have any lard or sugar in them. Nasty stuff! Bacon and other pork products should really be avoided, even the leaner cuts. (Do I have this right guys? I'm the one of the veg  heads here so I don't eat those meats anyway and I don't have my book....lent it! :) ....)

I know this seems kind of restrictive, Madelon, but you're changing your food habits here. What you were eating before didn't work for you, right?? Gotta get rid of the old ways and welcome the new ones. Check out the recipe boards and see what wonderful recipes are here, and once you get your book, you'll see that there's a terrific selection of foods that awaits you on the LDL way of eating. Good luck to you! We all look forward to your progress. :) nyKath
Last edited by nyKath on August 4th, 2006, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki

Post by niki »

hi madalon....i'm so happy to see that let's do lunch has piqued your interest......i'm 54,have an underactive thyroid and abused my body with junk food for most of my life.....i have been on this program for 6 months and have lost 30 pounds so far......and all this and i'm not even on a diet....this is the best way of eating on the planet......there are SO many things that you can eat....i urge you to be sure to eat until full like someone not on a diet...keep the portable snacks handy and never allow yourself hungry..............with the absence of sugars/grains/nuts/seeds your blood sugars stabilize and the cravings are gone...for me,this is the BEST part....food controlled me all my life....now,let's do lunch has enabled me to take control of my life and that is an AWESOME feeling................
  i've never had a smoothie in my life....i enjoy the  sweetest fruit....watermelon,frozen grapes(great...try them),mango,pineapple.....GREAT STUFF........eat all the lean protein and all the vegetables you want...all the homemade bean soups you want cooked heartily with olive oil................i make great salads with artichoke hearts,marinated mushrooms AND kalamata olives.....EXCELLENT.....i got tired of low carbs after a month.....how long can you eat bacon and eggs for breakfast before you get REALLY tired of it?....for me,maybe a month or two.........
  i eat lavishly and i have lost 30 pounds and i'm still losing.................this is an awesome program of eating that has changed my life...it can do the same for you...........................welcome.................niki 
flwrswlt
New, but learning

Post by flwrswlt »

Thanks, I will try the eggs in the morning. I read somewhere that you can have soy cheese and I like that.  I was on Weight Watchers last fall and kept losing and gaining 5 pounds what fun! so I am looking forward to this. I work for Community Mental Health and they let me/sent me go to a conference on obesity due to alot of the psychotropic medications do increase the weight of our clients. Long story short. The jest of it was that all the chemicals in the foods today, our body can't recognize the molecules and dumps them into the fat cells and there they stay. They did talk about the sugars and processed flours as well. Oh and all the Soda's especially the diet ones. Anyway I am rambling on and on......Oh, I am in a part-time RN nursing program and will graduate in May'07 and would like to be several pounds lighter......I am ready LDL
little lamb

Post by little lamb »

Just wanted to let all know that my husband and I started the new way of eating - LDL after being introduced to the book at on of our Ladies Ministry Board Meetings.  That was a couple of months ago.  So far, I have lost 10 pounds and my husband lost 20!  I only have 6 more to go!!!

The program is wonderful!!!  We don't feel like we are on a diet at all.  We drink lots of smoothies and lots of fruits and veggies. 

We went on vacation and thought this would do us in - but....we both  lost 3 pounds on our 2 week vacation visiting friends.  That is amazing!!

We thank you Troy and our God for putting this plan together.

Little Lamb
8nLostW8

Post by 8nLostW8 »

Hi all,

My user name is my weight loss faith statement since I have yet to realize it's meaning. Please pray for me! I don't like much of the food that Roger does (especially any kind of bean). I can't imagine not eating bread, potatoes, rice (Sushi!!:(!!!), and so much more. I live between 2 states (ID and CA) and because of work needs, I don't have much spare time (this makes it difficult for me to go out and hunt food down, or have time to prepare food). My life is not conducive to any sort of diet plan - even seemingly easy ones. On the other hand, I must do something to lose my weight. I just received the LSL book and I am trying to be optimistic. I will be reading it over the weekend (or what remains of it). I want to be successFull - if you know what I mean. Blessings to all!  8nLostW8
"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him" — 1 Cor. 2:9
abundantlyblessed

Post by abundantlyblessed »

I guess I will go ahead and introduce myself.  I posted on my first day earlier this week and received helpful information. (Thanks!)

I saw Roger on Harvest which is channel 47 in Tulsa, OK. I was amazed by the eating of carbs and all food groups and loosing lots of weight.  I, too, have been on [glow=red,2,300]MANY[/glow] different life changes to lose weight and still I need to lose over 100 pounds. Roger's testimony sparked hope within me once again.  I am 42yo, married for 19 years (always needing to lose some weight but succeeding in gaining over the years), have 3 children (two teen boys and 9yog) which I homeschool.  I'm tired of being obese!

I started this week, as best as I could, even though we had several challenges with overnight guests for my children and eating at a friend's home one day and out another.  I figured a bad start was better than waiting to start until conditions were better, as I might even lose something during this 'bad start'.  ;)

I would love to lose 35-40 pounds by Christmas this year but would be happy with just 25! I'm hoping and believing.

Like other posters, I have never been fond of beans (truthfully, I said I didn't like them).  However, I made the LDL Bean Soup with Northern beans and actually thought it was ok.  I'll change the spices up a bit or even leave them out and then I can almost think of it as potatoe soup.  ;D

Eating this way will be a challenge for us because we are not big veggie eaters either but with God all things are possible!!!

I'm grateful for this message board!!!  Thanks to all that put in valuable time and effort to provide it.

God bless,
Michele
PattyCakes

Post by PattyCakes »

Great to have you here Michelle. Yes, your goals are very doable....if I can do it, you can do it! My goal was 100 pounds, I'm at 87. We're eating more fruits and veggies than ever before in our lives and loving it. You sound like me with the recipes....I try them once, as written, then make minor adjustments with seasonings for our taste.

Best of luck to you! We're here to support.
Patty
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Hi I'm EnJae;

A friend told my 'chosen-sister' about this board and she mentioned it to me. Thought I'd check it out.
I was under-weight from birth to age 21, couldn't seem to get interested in food. Once I left home I found it easier to eat. And started gaining.
I'm tired of living the way I do. Ready to start living healthier.

NJ
Last edited by EnJae on November 8th, 2006, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
niki

Post by niki »

hi nj........check out all the different posts on the boards.....i lost 30 pounds in 6 months....it has changed my life........it can do the same for you.....hope you decide to try let's do lunch.........niki
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Thank you Niki.
NJ
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Just posting before heading off to bed.
Today was the first time I got on line here. I located the site while I was eating a breakfast of eggs, sausage, biscuits and hot tea with milk and honey. I thought I was eating healthy because I wasn't eating donuts with a coke. lol

I have since then had purified water, green tea, salad, and nachos made with the last of my sausage, healthy refried beans -I read the can- and cheddar cheese made from soy. It is midnight and time for me to turn in. I am feeling anxious that I'll wake up in a few hours craving a coke and chocolate. (My "usual" bedtime treat.)

Also I realize now that a bit more of an intro would be helpful. I am 45, have been overweight since I was 24. I have maintained a weight of 225# - 250# for the last 3 years. A year and a half ago I tried the ChangeOne diet and lost 25# but regained it when I didn't stick with it.
I am single; all my 'children' have been the 4-legged kind. I currently have 1 dog and 1 cat.
My mother passed away in June. I have been eating A LOT since her memorial service.
I bought the book today but have spent more time reading posts here than reading the book.

I have a niggling bit of hope that this will help me get healthy. But I am also afraid that it's just another way to set myself up for failure.

I'll keep reading. See ya'll tomorrow.

NJ
niki

Post by niki »

let me tell you,nj,i was such a lost cause....i feel that if i could do this successfully,anyone can....i was such a junk food addict........for a number of years now,i wasn't eating huge amounts of food...but the wrong things.........
  spend an evening and read the book.....i understood everything a lot better when i read the book...and then roger recommends reading it a few times to really absorb everything...
  this REALLY works......you're not setting yourself up for failure......you're setting yourself up for success....so that you can be a loser like the rest of us here........
  when you're not sure of something?....ASK...sometimes people think they're doing it right and sometimes they need a little direction....
  i lost 30 pounds in 6 months...the only program of eating that i have ever stayed on for 6 months was junk food.............i'm not kidding...this is almost too good to believe.....you try it and see if what i'm telling you is not true......this really works.......niki 
mmw55

Post by mmw55 »

My mom handed me the LDL book on Sunday... I'm about half way through and very excited!! I had knee surgery a few months ago and have gained a lot of weight- I'm continuing to have knee problems and may need to have another surgery. My doctor says 1lb of weight is like 30lbs on your knees... I'm young (24) and can't afford to have worsen my problem with extra pounds! I look forward to grocery shopping in the next few days and purging my fridge and shelves!! My goal is about 35lbs....  ;D I've done other programs in the past and  been active on the message boards, I was glad to find this program has one as well.