The Brownie test

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
KAT
New, but learning

The Brownie test

Post by KAT »

In my testimonial I stated that my cravings are gone and that you could put a plate of chocolate brownies in front of me and I wouldn't even want them......well at church last night that theory was put to the test.  A woman brought a large pan of freshly baked, iced brownies to share!  You know, I really didn't want them, even while listening to the others ooh and ahh about how good they were.  I had a cup of hot tea and was perfectly satisfied!  It really felt good to not be controlled by cravings!  It is also great to have "friends" I can tell this to and know that you understand.
niki

Re: The Brownie test

Post by niki »

that's great kat...........i have to say that that is at the top of the list of awesome things this program does for me...i remember taking my grandson to a pizza party with his t-ball team and i had worked all day and it was 5 pm and all i ate that day was fruit(i had been too busy at work to eat anything else)i sat in that pizza place and watched the food and smelled the smells....it didn't phase me....not in a new york minute did i think i would jsut take a piece of pizza and eat it...............i love eating this way.......
  i took my thyroid medication when i got up....i did my whole workout routine and now i'm going to go downstairs and eat all the fruit i want(including the 24 pound watermelon i bought day before yesterday......WELL,i'll try not to eat the whole thing in one sitting..........haha)..............have a great day......niki
maggiemae

Post by maggiemae »

hi kat (my daughter's name is kat-short for kathryn),

how absolutely wonderful!  for me, all i knew i needed to do was lose the cravings but didn't know how.  now i do.

last night after getting my nails done i brought home a fully loaded pizza for my husband for dinner.  i was not tempted one iota to have a slice or "pick" at it.  i had my vegetable soup (which i picked the potatoes out of) and some popcorn.

it's very empowering!  (i've said that somewhere here before.) 

Maggie
niki

Post by niki »

hey maggie...i will be SO happy when you write in that you've started making homemade bean soups and that you're eating them until full............i mean,the time it took you to pick out the potatoes,you could have sauteed some onion,added some crushed tomato and added a couple of cans of beans(any kind)......that is,by the way,the very flexible recipe for greek bean soup........you have to be SO careful with anything processed......it's SO much better to whip up a little homemade stuff..and add your own character to it by adding different spices.....(when i use canned beans, i don't add salt because the canned beans have salt in them)
                                                        niki
niki

Post by niki »

that's great......now you've passed the pizza test.......i remember when after not eating all day,i took my grandson after his t-ball game to a pizza party at a pizza place and sat there for 1/2 hour...it was totally nothing...on any DIET i ever went on,i would have gone home and eaten everthing in sight.........not now........you're so right........it is empowering............niki
maggiemae

Post by maggiemae »

Hi ladies,

Gee, I felt so silly and petty picking out potatoes, but I'm not giving in, no sirree.  By the way, there are A LOT of potatoes in vegetable soup.  The key for me is to never, ever be hungry.  Right now, I'm munching on grapes.  I feel like I'm constantly eating.

Maggie
KAT
New, but learning

Post by KAT »

Hey all,
Haven't been on-line in a few days....busy, busy.  EMPOWERING is such a great word!  I love it.  Food doesn't call my name from the refrigerator any more.  My  mind is not consumed with the thought of food and what can I eat next, because I know I can eat all I want of the right kinds of food (which happens to be food I love).  It's like having "a monkey off your back."

I have hypoglycemia, so I never, ever let myself get too hungry in the past because I would break into a cold sweat and get shaky and weak if I did.  Roger Troy assured me on the phone that being hypoglycemic, I would be able to do this eating plan.  He was right.  I know we all talk about not getting hungry, but that, for me is one of the pleasures of this plan.  I can eat breakfast and get really hungry before lunch and not get those hypoglycemic reactions.  If feels good to be hungry and not feel sick at the same time. 

BTW, 15 lbs gone as of this morning.  I think it has been about 7 weeks.  I actually quit counting, because I know this is a forever thing!

Thanks for all the feedback, ya'll.
KAT
niki

Post by niki »

hi kat..........BRAVO.......that's great...actually,the way i keep track of how long i'm on the program is by looking back at the date i registered on the boards.....
  do you do anything differently to deal with the hypoglycemia?...or has just being on this program the way everyone else does it,taken care of that problem?...do you eat fruit by itself in the morning?...do you eat the lean protein once a day or more?....these are things i like to know........the way that this program deals with diabetes and hypoglycemia AND insulin resistance facinates me.................niki 
TNangela

Post by TNangela »

Kat,
I love your idea about not counting...its a forever thing....I am so glad to be in it for the long haul!!ANG
niki

Post by niki »

i can't keep myself from chiming in.....i am SO glad to be in it, too,for the long haul..........niki
KAT
New, but learning

Post by KAT »

niki,
Good question about the hypoglycemia and how this diet works for me.  I have had hypoglycemia for a long time, so I know my body really well and generally know what I can and can't get by with, so here are some of the things I need to do for my body.

I do not eat just fruit for breakfast.  I start with fruit on my way to work.  I will eat an apple, peach or frozen cherries, what ever sounds good and is available.  I love it that fruit is so portable and easy to take in my car and eat anywhere.  When I get to work, I eat some cottage cheese (nonfat or 1%) and more fruit or light rye wasa crisp with mozzarella cheese (low fat/nonfat) melted and tomato slices on top.  Absolutely delicious!  I am satisfied with these two choices right now.  If I start to get bored with them, I will change them up a bit.  This will generally hold me until lunch, if it doesn't and I need more, I will eat some more fruit, mid-morning. 

As Roger Troy says, I am then very hungry for lunch which consists of protien (I try to get the equivalent of 2 small/medium chicken breasts or an equivalent amount of fish), lots of vegetables and the key for me is I MUST eat some form of starchy food at lunch.  I eat peas, corn, beans or some combination of these foods.  I CAN NOT skip the starchy part or I pay for it.  If I can't get the starch with my meal I will go back to my office and pop a small bag of popcorn and eat that to make up for the starch I didn't get with my meal.  I try to get it with my meal though.  If I don't eat a starchy food, I will get lethargic, feel like I need to sleep and it is hard to come out of that state.  You would think eating some fruit would do it, but it doesn't.  If I don't get the combination at lunch or with popcorn after, I generally feel bad the rest of the evening.  Needless to say, I make sure I get what I need at lunch. 

Surprisingly to me, because I am eating such a good, filling lunch, dinner is not a problem.  I start with fruit the minute I get home from work and if I need to I will eat vegetables for dinner, salad, corn and beans, whatever sounds good.  I might snack on some popcorn later and I am good to go until the next morning.

I know this is long winded, but it is so important to know what your body needs and that LDL can be done or I should say IS being done by someone with a long history of hypoglycemia. 

Hope this helps.
KAT
niki

Post by niki »

that was excellent,kat....EXACTLY what i wanted to know.......not "long winded" AT ALL.........i would have thought that protein at lunch would have held you over great...and yet you need the allowable carbs also......actually,THAT surprises me more than the fruit not holding you over.........
   it's funny, because i remember all those years ago when i first heard about hypoglycemia...they considered it a precursor to diabetes...and yet i know people that have been hypoglycemic for YEARS without ever becoming diabetic..........
  let me know if anything changes or if you have a hypoglycemic episode and the conclusion you come to about what caused it ..............thanks kat................niki
Last edited by niki on July 21st, 2006, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

niki wrote:hey maggie...i will be SO happy when you write in that you've started making homemade bean soups and that you're eating them until full............i mean,the time it took you to pick out the potatoes,you could have sauteed some onion,added some crushed tomato and added a couple of cans of beans(any kind)......that is,by the way,the very flexible recipe for greek bean soup........you have to be SO careful with anything processed......it's SO much better to whip up a little homemade stuff..and add your own character to it by adding different spices.....(when i use canned beans, i don't add salt because the canned beans have salt in them)
                                                        niki
Beans? We can eat beans? Whoo-hoo (a la Homer Simpson)! Hey someone help me here, I just called the bookstore to find out if my book had arrived yet (later today they said) so I have no idea what I'm doing  not having read it yet. But tell me about the beans I love black beans but hesitate to eat them because in places like Pollo Loco, they are (I believe) usually prepared with lard. Now this may sound like a dumb question to you veterans but I am a newbee and reserve the right to ask the dumb questions. Let's have an answer quick as it is almost lunchtime here.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
niki

Post by niki »

hi joe............beans,beans and more beans...since you don't have the book yet,here it is in a nutshell.....no sugar/grains/seeds/nuts.....fat free or soy cheese......all the bean soups you can eat...i buy canned beans and they don't have anything that they shouldn't have in them...the more beans you eat,the better....i make a big pot of homemade soup....you quoted me suggesting to maggie that she look for my recipe for greek bean soup which is almost as easy as opening a can of soup...you can use any kind of beans you like...i made it with black beans and added some cubed eggplant and posted it on the boards as spicy eggplant black bean soup......you can eat as much as you want of that stuff..............i am SO glad when someone tells me they like beans....you will still lose weight without eating beans....but it really is so much easier................although there are recipes for pureed soups for people that don't like beans........it just really simplifies everything.........you'll get that book today,read it tonight and if you have any questions,ask away.......................your name looked familiar and so i checked your previous posts and saw that you posted something on the boards about a week ago........make sure you keep us posted about your progress.........sincerely,niki
Last edited by niki on July 21st, 2006, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAT
New, but learning

Post by KAT »

niki wrote:.....i would have thought that protein at lunch would have held you over great...and yet you need the allowable carbs also......actually,THAT surprises me more than the fruit not holding you over.........
   it's funny, because i remember all those years ago when i first heard about hypoglycemia...they considered it a precursor to diabetes...and yet i know people that have been hypoglycemic for YEARS without ever becoming diabetic..........

niki,
I, too, find it surprising that the protein does not hold me for long without the allowable carbs.......it goes against everything I have been taught about hypoglycemia and diabetes and I have studied both for years.  But, the body doesn't lie.  I believe that uncontrolled hypoglycemia will put undo wear and tear on the pancreas and can lead to diabetes.  I try to keep my blood sugar steady.  Better safe than sorry, I say. 

I'll let you know if things change along the way!
KAT
maggiemae

Post by maggiemae »

Hi Joe,

I, too, am a newbie.  I started LDL July 4th and have lost weight.  Don't know how much but it's enough for people to notice.  That makes ya feel real good!  Now, if you go to the section where the recipes are there are some great bean soup recipes.  I made a nice bean salad today and I actually liked it - - woo hoo!  I recently found out that barley is an LDL no-no, so there will be none of that.  I bought some Bush's Vegetarian Beans - I like to drain the sauce as, believe it or not, it's become too rich for me.  I grow green beans in my garden and steam them - love'em.

While I'm here . . . I didn't see Roger's reply to my vegetable soup and having to pick out the potatoes.  I am not aware that there are vegetable soups that do not contain potatoes and will now look for them. 

Mag
niki

Post by niki »

hi maggie..i would be careful with the vegetarian baked beans....roger had stated that you could drain them so that you're getting less sugar...i just wouldn't eat them that often if i were you....if you follow the recipe i posted for greek bean soup and DON'T add any water,you'll get the consistency of baked beans...why don't you try that and see if you like it...because you could eat ALL you want of that with confidence that you're not eating anything you shouldn't ........and if you grow fresh string beans,take a look at the recipe i posted for fresh string beans in tomato sauce(fasoulakia me lathe)........niki
maggiemae

Post by maggiemae »

Wow, thanks Niki for bringing THAT to my attention.  It never even occurred to me to check the ingredients on the veg bean can.  I just did and it does have sugar and brown sugar.  I will not only have to drain them but rinse them as well.  I drain and rinse all of my canned fruits, too.

I would have never paired green beans with tomato sauce, but I'll give that a try. 

Thank you so much from saving me from an LDL disaster!

Mag  ;)