Water

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Water

Post by joecaracappa »

I (Newbee that I am) would like to say a few words about water. I do have some experience in this area as I deal with dehydration related injuries during the summer.

My book arrived on Friday and I read it cover to cover, twice. While I agree with Roger's point on water, you do need to keep a couple of things in mind:

(1) Undernormal conditions a man needs 3 liters of water a day and a woman 2.2 liters.

(2) Conditions are not normal!  We are having one heck of a heatwave in this country and most of us are not "normal" sized people.

(3) It is very difficult to measure the amount of water we are getting from our foods.

(4) There is an added benefit to increased water consumption while dieting as fat shows up as foam in our urine.

Just a thought...............

Joe

(3)
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
niki

Re: Water

Post by niki »

hi joe..this is a really good thing to mention now.....i retain so much fluid that i am rarely thirsty and have to remind myself to drink all the time....i'm glad i take vitamins and supplements because as i drink to take them,i'll make myself drink more than i need to...for anyone who drinks coffee,you can't count the coffee you drink as fluid because it has a diuretic effect and can dehydrate you.........
  very few people actually drink enough water...and as you're mentioning this,i'm going to put a little more effort to drink more water..........thank you............niki
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Niki:

Try this. Our bodies often will retain water because the incoming supply is inadequate (one of those funny things our brain does) and because every cell in our bodies needs fresh water. If the supply isn't there, the body hordes what it has in order to survive.

Increase your intake but not more than a liter an hour (hard on the kidneys). If you experience a sudden weight loss (water weight) after a few days, your retention issue may be supply related. If not, than you may be retaining water due to medications or some other medical related reason. Even so, it is a healthy thing to do.

Joe
niki

Post by niki »

hi joe...it absolutely is a healthy thing to do....my problem is partly that i have an underactive thyroid and fluid retention goes along with that....i've always retained fluid.....but it is definitely better on this program...people don't realize that they retain fluid because of sodium AND sugar....so sugar and all those unhealthy carbs make it worse.....the heavier i am,the more fluid i retain...so now,i'm fine...........i EVEN find myself thirsty sometimes which is a wonderful thing...so when i'm at my ideal weight(which is maybe 10 more pounds..maybe 15)fluid retention will absolutely not be much of a problem..thank you for your concern.............niki   
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Niki:

Yeah, Mom went through that too, made her nuts (and the rest of us) until it was diagnosed and treated. At 84 she is alive, well and breaking slot machines in Atlantic City.

Joe
niki

Post by niki »

hi joe...i've read that there are millions of undiagnosed cases of hypothyroidism in this country......drs are not really looking for it..it's more common in women than in men....a lot of times they don't believe their patients who say they're tired or that they're gaining weight even though they're not eating more.....i hate when drs don't listen to their patients..and so many of them don't........
   so,i'm glad she was diagnosed and treated..this,by the way,would be a wonderful program of eating for her too.......niki
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Niki:

Did I mention she was 84?

Joe
niki

Post by niki »

well, you know,roger's mother lost 50 pounds on this program...i read her post that she's kept it off for 3 years and i believe she's in her 80s......it's a matter of feeling better and being lighter and therefore healthier.....my father's going to be 86 in october and he's still active...it's a matter of how active your mother is and wether she's interested......you DID say she plays the slot machines at atlantic city......niki 
Last edited by niki on July 25th, 2006, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Did I mention she's italian and once told a doctor she would be willing to try any diet as long as it included pasta and bread?

Joe