Big test tomorrow

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Gammamel
New, but learning

Big test tomorrow

Post by Gammamel »

As I've mentioned in posts today, I started the program on Saturday and love it so far.  But tomorrow, I have a lunch out scheduled with a group of people.  It's at a family style restaurant, and I know the Tuesday special is Swiss Steak.  I'm not sure what I'll order, but I plan to stick with the plan.  I was thinking of asking for a grilled chicken breast and a salad.  Or maybe a chef salad sans the cheese.  I'm just not sure.  Any suggestions?
nyKath

Re: Big test tomorrow

Post by nyKath »

Make sure you've had your fill of smoothie or fruit before you go. You might even still be so full that you'll only need the salad at the restaurant. If no one else is eating bread, then ask the waiter to take the bread basket away, or make the others keep it on the other side of the table at least. Most places are very obliging anymore and will leave off potatoes, rice, or fries and allow you to substitute broccoli or spinach or mushrooms, etc. as the side dishes. If this veg head is hungry, I order ALL those side dishes and just plop them all on top of my salad. :) Tastes wonderful! ...you'll do just find making your selections tomorrow because you know what to avoid and you'll do just that! Ask for some oil and vinegar and a few squeezes of lemon instead of the dressings and you'll be Happy eatin'!!If you're eating meat, just remove any skin, crust, or coating and have at it....Good luck! nyKath
niki

Post by niki »

hi melodie...it IS a good idea to eat a lot of fruit or a smoothie before you go to that....and you can order any kind of fish or shrimp...a chicken breast(like you said)and salad would be great....and like kathy said,most places will make whatever substitutions you want for the unhealthy carbs......
  but,see how different people are...i don't know if kathy does that in a restaurant(asks them to move the bread)but the way i am,i wouldn't want to call attention to how i'm eating at this stage of the game....i would RATHER have them notice my weight loss....people can be so not nice when they find out you're on a diet(and this isn't a diet)...they pick it apart and make you feel bad...so i would never call attention to myself by asking anyone to move the bread basket.........but,EVERYONE is different and i wanted to give you my opinion as well.......
  it makes me think of oprah winfrey who someone had told me calls ahead and asks that no bread basket be placed on the table....i thank God that i have NO CRAVINGS and i could be in a room with my FAVORITE FOODS and not be tempted...........i took my grandson to his end of yr party for t-ball at a local pizza place....it was 5pm....i had worked that day and had only had time to eat fruit.....the place smelled great....i didn't care...i went home and ate my ldl meal...ANY other time if i was able to resist eating there,i would have come home and gone off.....................so that is what you have to look forward....NEW ADDICTIONS to foods that will make you thin forever...................God bless you..............niki 
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Sure I ask people to move the bread basket, Niki. Bread and butter are trigger foods for me, so I can't be around them. No way! If others are at the table then I ask nicely if they can just keep it "over there" even though it's still on the table. But if all of us at a table aren't eating bread, then away it goes! The wait staff must hear it over and over as more people eat low carb in general. Bread and butter are death to any food plan that I'm on, so I do what I can to survive the onslaught :) nyKath
niki

Post by niki »

ok..if that works for you, that's good....but i have been surrounded by my favorite foods since i've been on let's do lunch and have joyfully not even noticed them(what about when you're home?you must have bread in the house)
  of course it's different if noone is eating the bread..then it's just taking up space...it also depends on who you're with......it's just that the few times i talked about this program at work,what i heard was "you can't eat pasta?....oh,that wouldn't be for me" and i hate to see a newbie absorb all that negativity.....listen,everybody has to do what's good for them...i just wanted to give melodie another opinion..............maybe now she's meeting friends that know she's on this program and knows they will be supportive....but,i am sorry to say that few people believe they are at their ideal weight and jealousy can easily rear it's ugly head.......niki
Last edited by niki on July 31st, 2006, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

People get nuts when it comes to their food. It's like discussing religion or politics, it can at times become a touchy subject. Even the federal government will brow beat you if you do not eat of all four food groups.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

Thanks, everybody.  Actually I only know one of the people I'm having lunch with.  The others are HER friends, and I've never met them before.  So I don't want to draw too much attention.  I don't think the bread will be a problem. We have a candy dish on the counter at work, full of every kind of mini chocolate bar you can think of, and I haven't touched it  for a week (and I'm often the one who fills it).  We also have homemade chocolate chip oatmeal cookies in the kitchen as I write.  Staying clear of those would normally be difficult, but since I've been drinking these smoothies I'm not tempted.

I'll let you know this afternoon how lunch goes.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

How great that you've been avoiding temptation! I'm also managing not to snag any oatmeal cookies that I baked for the crew yesterday. No problem there...but that assortment of bakery breads when eating out can just about do me in! :) Good luck to you today as you continue on your journey! nyK
Gammamel
New, but learning

Post by Gammamel »

Lunch went well, though they switched locations at the last minute.  We went to our local Farmer's Market.  I got a large tossed salad with lettuce, tomatoes, a little shredded carrot, and a little shredded cabbage. I ordered a grilled chicken breast on the side, sliced it and put it on top.  They didn't have any salad dressing that  appealed to me, but I was prepared.  I had a packet of Ranch Light Done Right in my purse, so I used that.  To drink I just had water.  No beans or corn or anything, but I'll make up for that at dinner.  I'll have my regular smoothie (look forward to those), and then some bean and veggie soup I made last night.  I love this plan. 
niki

Post by niki »

well done, melodie....you did great....thank God that with let's do lunch it's a LOT easier to make these right choices than it used to be....be careful of the light or low fat dressings...they often put sugars disguised with different names the make up the dif.............keep up the good work.............niki
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

You Go Girl!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.