day 1

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Re: day 1

Post by joecaracappa »

I pop the old fashion way:

Pour olive oil in the bottom of at deep pan, place one kernel of corn in the center and cover over medium heat. Wait till you hear it "pop", remove it and completely line the bottom with one layer of kernels (don't forget to replace the lid, otherwise it will be "Smoothie Disaster in Van Nuys all over again).

When the popping starts shake the pot gently until all popping ceases, remove from heat, salt, spray and you are in business.

Popcorn comes in grades which is why some brands puff larger and fluffier, pay a little more for it (it's only popcorn) and chow down!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
MaryAnne
New, but learning

Post by MaryAnne »

bought the orville smart pop this weekend
thanks for all the help guys
niki

Post by niki »

hi joe....i used to do it that way...but i got half as much popcorn with some kernels half popped which was annoying....now,my popcorn is light and fluffy..i like this so much better...............niki 
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

It takes practice and good quality corn to do it my way but it works for us (I get very few unpopped kernnels). In reality I also enjoy the microwave and hot air methods as well. Good stuff!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
abundantlyblessed

Post by abundantlyblessed »

marysimmons wrote:By the way, what kind of chili beans did you buy?  I have not found a can that does not include bad stuff like sugar.  Please let us know the brand so we call all benefit from your "find!"  Thanks!

Mary

Mary, these are the ones I found:  Westbrae Natural.  My Wal-Mart Supercenter is now carrying them.  Here's a link to their website and you can see the nutritional info there.

http://www.westbrae.com/products/org_beans/ocb.php

Hope that helps,
Michele
rollingpat
New, but learning

Post by rollingpat »

;DI finally got the book!!!  Almost kissed the mailman..hee hee..
On the popcorn thing..I dug out my popcorn maker for the microwave...does a great job on the walmart popcorn.  No fuss no muss...you can use it with oil or
without.  I have been doing it without and using the I can't believe it's not butter spray.  This popper can also be used as a steamer for veggies and such.  I probably have had it for 20 yrs. and just started giving it a good work out again.  I don't know if they still even make these any more, it was made by Anchor Hocking.  I probably purchased it from K-Mart at that time.
Does anyone know if the cheese salt would be OK on the popcorn? 
Thanks for all the input everyone...it helps a lot
Pat
niki

Post by niki »

i never heard of that,pat.....could you post the ingredients?..........niki
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

I tried out some black jewel(sp?) popcorn in the microwave and hot air popper.  I found it was a very tasty popcorn.  Might give that a try sometime. The thing my children liked about it was that it did not contain the amount of hulls that other popcorns had.  It was a bit more expensive than regular finds such as Pop Weavers or ORB.

Bobbi wrote:Hi Maryanne,

The popcorn brand that is in the book is Orville Redenbacher SMART POP 94% fat free. I have seen it at every grocery store I have gone to & I eat it every night. I just bought a huge jar of popcorn so when my Orville runs out this time, I am going to make my own with an air popper.  :)