New and hopeful

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Theresa
New, but learning

New and hopeful

Post by Theresa »

good morning,
I have write almost everything on your board and I'm so excited.  I'm still waiting for my book to arrive.  I wish I could get started right now. 
I have tried everything to lose weight and nothing seems to help.  I'm 56 years old and I'm on 7 different medicines.  Thyroid, 3 heart, blood thinners, water pill, antidepression.  Also I have a pacemaker.  but mostly I am 156 pounds and I'm 5'2".  So I need to lose around 30 pounds.  I pray this is the answer for me.
nyKath

Re: New and hopeful

Post by nyKath »

Welcome, Theresa! You should check with your doctor first especially when on medication and if you're possibly on a special diet, but a way you CAN start right now will be to make your lunch meal your BIG meal of the day instead of dinner (and having your biggest protein intake at this meal) and cutting out all those heavy white/high-carb foods like bread, potatoes, white rice, pasta, and all those terrible cookies, candy, and snacks, and all the high-fat dairy items. You can make better food choices starting with the very next thing you put in your mouth by making it a healthier choice than what you would normally eat.  Have some fruit for your snacks instead. Go through the boards and see what's good to eat on this plan, but please do get your doctor's okay (show them the book or give them this website address) before diving in entirely. Wishing you much luck! nyKath
bleego
New, but learning

Post by bleego »

Hi Theresa,

I have been reading here a lot since starting LDL on May 15th. I am 54.  I just had to tell you, I am on 15 meds a day. I had triple bypass late 2003 followed by cardiac arrest 4 hours post-op, resulting in left heart failure.  LDL is the best thing that could ever have  happened to me.  I feel so much better. My husband and I have fruit at breakfast, our main meal with protein and beans between 2-3 pm daily, between 7:30 and 8:30 pm we have more fruit and he usually has a salad also. I told my internal medicine doctor and cardiologist about this diet and they think it's just great.  Good luck and if I can help you, just holler. When my husband is at work, I send his main meal of the day along with him. I believe if you are determined , anyone can do this. We try to look at it this way. Most of us will eat lunch daily, be prepared and make it your main one. Good luck.

Barb
Barb
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

Thanks for all the good wishes.  I  will talk to my doctor today.  I'm know he will be ok with this .  Any kind of healthy eating that will take some weigh off.  I feel like this is a new chapter in my life.  I can't wait to start.  This board is so helpful and it's like a security blanket.  Thanks to all my new friends.
niki

Post by niki »

hi theresa....i am so happy that you have found this wonderful program of eating.....NOW,just wait and see how well you will do...you'll go down to your ideal weight  and might need to have some adjustments to your medications for the better....
  i have an underactive thyroid and have not been able to lose weight successfully in years.i have lost 30 pounds in 6 months and i still CAN'T believe how easy it was...I have NEVER stayed on ANY program of eating this long except junk food..........
  with the absence of sugar/grains/nuts/seeds your blood sugars stabilize and cravings become a thing of the past...bean soups maintain those stable blood sugars and keep you full and satisfied...i posted on the discussion boards about beans "beans..they're what's for lunch AND dinner"..look for it............
  enjoy the sweetest fruits...vegetables,beans,peas corn and lean protein and EAT UNTIL FULL..that's important....you're not on a diet so,eat until you're full.........keep snacks handy(popcorn,soynuts and roasted chickpeas if you can find them)...NEVER BE HUNGRY.............
  you now have the potential to reach your ideal weight and improve your health...remember to post on our medical success board so you can share your success with us...........God bless you.............niki
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

It is so nice to log on and see that other people care.  I'm  so anxious for my book, I hope it comes today. 
As I read about others it is so helpful, knowing you are all supporting me. 
So no nuts, I guess I better give those away.  My husband has been the same size forever.  He still wears the same size he did  when we got married 38 years ago.  I figure I will make supper and save mine for lunch the next day.  And I love fruit so that is a treat.
So no nuts, sugar, grains, and seeds.  Grains would be your breads and cereals but what is considered a seed.  I'm not sure about that.  I'm not going to get groceries till the book comes.  I want to buy the stuff that is allowed.  Thanks for the help.
Theresa
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Terry! Rice would also be in there with the grains/pastas, as would couscous, etc. Seeds would be pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pignoli (pine) nuts, sesame seeds, flax seeds, poppy seeds - any kind of seed or nut really that you'd find in a nut mix or on top of baked goods and available just on their own. I also have a hubs who's maintained his weight all of our married years, too, but I've always cooked healthy for all of us. He's just never had to fight the sugar demons, lucky stiff! Or have babies, now that I think of it! LOL.... Good luck to you! Hope your book arrives today. nyKath
grammylaurie
New, but learning

Post by grammylaurie »

Hi Theresa, I myself am a newbie. And I am real excited. I had to wait for my book to come in as the book store was out when I went to see Roger. During that time I started eating fruit and getting myself ready to begin my program. I also when I wanted a snack I would eat popcorn. I have a lot to loose (100#). But you know what I feel that with God and this support team behind us, going through this journey with us, WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL.  Fruit smoothies are great. I had a X-Large one this morning and I feel more then full.  I think I am going to try to make extra once and put it in a Tupperware Popsicle dish and make a frozen treat.  This I can take in the car on the way to work.  I will let you know how it works.  Have a GREAT day and God bless you. Laurie
niki

Post by niki »

hi theresa...even watermelon seeds are not good for us.........look for an old post of rhea's because she used to love to chew on the pits and eat them...she asked roger and he told her they weren't a good idea.........they even dry and roast them to eat as a snack like pumpkin seeds.........
  i really love to eat this way...i would never have believed that i would feel that way....NOT missing pasta and bread.......i couldn't care less..that's one of the MANY wonderful things about this program........
  so sit tight...you have a lot of the basics down...but the book just really ties things together............niki   
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

you know a staple of the Mexican diet is the tortilla ( flour and or corn ) we ate at least 4 dozen a week at our house...each flour tortilla is like 2 pieces of bread and like Roger said
'' eating bread is like eating cake". Is it any wonder how i maintained a 325 weight class championship for the past few years? The hardest thing for me was not having any kind of bread or tool in my hand while i ate meat...that has since long gone away and now actually feel repulsed when i see bread being eaten with food...because i now know all the bad that it does to our bodies. Now to get the the preacher to somehow change out the communion bread squares to something on LDL... Maybe corn thins or something similar? I know , I know I am sorry God...I was just picking...you gotta admit that was kinda funny?
Richard Hernandez
imkay

Post by imkay »

oh my goodness i never even thought about communion!  :o  we use some kind of bread and real wine.  and we dip so i have to use both.  do you think that 1 bit a week will make a difference?  i can't imagine it would.  any thoughts?
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

i was only being sarcastic...

i hope no one took my remark about communion seriously. I view it as intended..as the body of Christ and do it in rememberance of him.

I like to poke fun sometimes...ok , all of the time.
Richard Hernandez
imkay

Post by imkay »

I  knew you were kidding but i had never thought of it before!! :)
Anyway i'm sure that communion would NEVER count against us!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

Thanks for the humor.  I have been going over the recipes and alot of this will be new to me.  I guess I have to widen my taste for vegetables.  I was wondering about potatoes and cauliflower?    Those are two of my favorites.
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

I guess I just need to get creative with the vegetables.  I like corn, green beans, snap peas, lettuce, celery, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, butter beans, pinto beans, refried beans, mushrooms, that's all I can think of now.  Are these ok to eat???
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

Still waiting for the book but I'm starting on Friday.  I have some fruit in the house and I will have my coffee and water for breakfast.  I have leftover pot roast that I could have for lunch.  I just won't eat the potatoes.  Popcorn as snack and I guess salad for supper.  Is all lettuce okay? 
I think I'm going to do this  quietly until someone notices I'm losing weight. I have been on so many diets and programs I don't think anyone believes me anymore.  I really can't blame them.  But with all the support here I'm sure I can do it. 
This is truly wonderful that we are all after the same thing and willing to help each other. Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart.  And thank you God too.  :)
niki

Post by niki »

hi theresa...any lettuce...all vegetables..........you'll lose a certain amount of weight and then everyone will start noticing..............enjoy...........niki