New and hopeful

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Theresa
New, but learning

Re: New and hopeful

Post by Theresa »

Well today is my first day.  Still haven't gotten my book, but with everyones help I think I have the basics.  I had raspberries and pinapple for breakfast.  Was still hungry so I had my cucumbers.  I chew gum a lot and I'm having a problem controlling that right now.  I guess it's the sugar calling.  I'm at work so I can't go out and get more vegetables.  that is why I'm writing now to get  the support I need.  Sorry I hope I don't sound too needy.  I think I need to come better prepared next week.  Can I eat oatmeal?
Also without dairy products can I still take my calcium supplement?
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

You do not sound needy. :)
You are asking valid questions.
Sorry, no oatmeal.
I remember something in the book about chewing gum.
I do not chew gum ever so I do not remember what it said.
I am pretty sure that chewing gum is fine as long as it is
sugar free. You started off your day well! Good Luck
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Ter...the idea is to eat until FULL at every meal, including breakfast. You can make up a really big batch of smoothie using fresh and frozen fruits (adding in spinach and the milder beans or soy beans when you get the desire to experiment!) and have some when you first get up and bring the rest to work for later in the a.m. when you get hungry. And the veggies in-between meals are always good and good for you. You could also bring fresh grapes for when you want something sweet since you won't be able to bring the frozen grapes with you. Or any other kind of portable fruit. Eat until full in these early stages of your plan. You could even bring a hard boiled egg or 2 if you really feel like you're getting too hungry before lunch time. And make sure you fill up at lunch, too. Did you pack a salad or some bean soup to go with any meat that you packed for today? (I think you said you packed some pork roast early on. Forgive me if I'm mixing you up with someone else! :)...) Or a bunch of sauteed greens? Lots of wonderful meal ideas here that aren't even in the book, so take full advantage of the wonderful cooks who post here and definitely do not go out into the world UNprepared if at all possible. Do some cooking over the weekend if you have time so you can bring leftovers with you to work every day. Wishing you strength for the rest of your day! Hang tight......nyKath
MaryAnne
New, but learning

Post by MaryAnne »

I keep cans of beans and micro popcorn in my desk. I too just started and haven't gotten my book yet, it should be here soon:-)
good luck
i am only on day4
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

So how are you doing.  I feel better now.  I did have lunch and snack size microwave popcorn.. It's a good thing I love popcorn.. I was good and didn't add salt either.  reading all of the boards make me hopeful that I can do this.  I am so excited I can't explain.  Every since I stopped smoking (14 1/2 years) and had my health issues and all the meds I have to take. I have been up and down with the weight.  But lately nothing helps.  I have been trying one thing or another for the last 3 years and no weight lose.  I'm hoping for great weight lose and that I can go off some of my medicine with Doctors approval. I 'm so glad I found all of you.  I know I can lose the weight with everyones help and guidness
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Theresa:

As you can see, these messages are a big part of the program. We clown around a lot but underneath it's all business. At Weight Watchers they really push their members to attend the meetings on a weekly basis. I am on this sight daily because I want to stay connected to my friends (none of whom I have ever met) and to ponder on other's experiences. Besides, what other weight loss program have you ever been on where you could communicate directly with it's author (Roger). My only advice to you (being a newbie myself) is when you get your book, go to the back and start cooking, your house is going to smell wonderful and you are going to have some killer meals.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

Joe I am so glad you joined our team buddy. Joe is right...your house will smell wonderful and your tummy will always be full and you will feel blessed. I thank my precious GOD for LDL each day as my kids and I have grown so close by virtue of this diet. They eat this food like there is no tomorrow and my heart fills up with joy knowing that every bite is good for them. How else could a daddy show his kids how much he loves them even after I am gone and they continue hopefully one day to eat healthy because of me? I can hear them now " man , my dad used to make the best soups, fruit smoothies and omlettes in the world." Who knows some of our posted recipes could be the next health craze to sweep the nation? Would it be a hoot to walk into a restaurant that serves an LDL menu? The marquis outside reads," Now serving LDL"..I get so excited just thinking about it. Old fat and sugar laden menus will be a thing of the past. We are the new vision for a healthy country. People won't understand it but millions will be doing it because it produces results and teaches how to keep they weight off without having to spend hundreds or thousands to do it. No clinics, no shots, no pills...just great food the way GOD intended and what your body needs.

rh
Richard Hernandez
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

I'm still waiting for my book but I did start the program with all of your help.  Weekend was good.  Work is hard it seems like I'm hungrey all the time here.  I guess I need to be a little bit more busy.  Loving the fruit and my favorite vegetables but I'm looking forward to all of the recipes.  Lunch today has leftover roast beef and mushrooms.  Not bad.  I will check back again as soon as my book comes.  I feel like a kid waiting for Santa.
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

Got my book Monday evening.  Read about half.  I have been doing some things wrong (this was before I got the book).  I was eating all fruit in the morning. That was OK .  And lunch was vegetables and proteins.  And supper was salads.  But I was having vegetables or popcorn in between meals.  I see the book says try not to snack between meals.
This morning I had lots of fruit and a snack bag of popcorn.  For lunch I have salad.  Supper is going to be wild rice and fish with vegetable.  Is this the right way.  Also I see evening snacks should be fruit  what about popcorn at night?
Thanks for the help
Theresa
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Folks please correct me if I am giving wrong advice

The LDL philosophy is “Eat as often as you can and as much as you want” even if it means between meals. (BELIEVE ME) After a short while your body will get use to this new lifestyle, and you will not have the in between meal cravings.

If possible, it best to have your protein (fish/meat) for lunch. However, it is acceptable (especially in the beginning) to save it at night – especially if your eating just a salad for lunch.

As for the wild rice, Roger Troy suggests to use it very sparingly (see page 116 in LDL). I would forgo it, and eat allowable vegetables and/or beans.

LDL veterans, please feel free to correct any misinformation I gave.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
niki

Post by niki »

right on tom...that was just perfect advice.......i would forgo the rice too...something like that is meant for when you're going to eat one of the unhealthy carbs,wild rice being the lesser of a few evils...........
  the snacking thing means that you should be eating big enough meals that you're not that hungry between meals.....but if you're hungry, EAT.....the first few months,i ate 2 gigantic bowls of popcorn a day.....NEVER LET YOURSELF BE HUNGRY.....i usually only eat fruit in the morning for breakfast...i eat my big lunch at lunchtime and more often than not,have a bowl of popcorn at dinnertime....but,sometimes i eat fruit...or salad...or bean soup.......whatever i want....i never eat after that...i do remember that roger doesn't recommend snacking on fruit during the day because he doesn't want anyone to get tired of it...........once someone posted that they NEVER got tired of eating fruit and he told them they could eat fruit whenever they wanted..........take care.............niki     
Last edited by niki on August 8th, 2006, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

yeah I am a fruit in the morning only eater myself i don't snack on fruit at all during the day and my system doesn't handle fruit at night very well. I have yet to crave anything eating it only once a day. beans, corn , lean meats, chicken, veggies, ground turkey and soup are the staples of my diet so far and I love it !!!

rh
Richard Hernandez
niki

Post by niki »

ditto............................niki
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

I'm going into my 3rd day doing the program right.  I did start last Friday doing it maybe 80% right.  I feel pretty good.  I love fruit so that is a big plus for me.  Did chicken and corn for lunch.  It was pretty filling.  I do believe I am on my way to losing the weight I need to lose.  Thank you everyone for your kind words and support.  My family is probably sick of hearing me say I'm on another diet.  So this time only my husband knows and they can just wait and see.  I do believe my belly is a little smaller.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey Ter...from all the diet reading that you or I or any and everyone else here has been doing over the years you must remember that part of the psychology of being a success at this or any plan is that you have to be in it for "you" and for reasons that you want for your own health, life, body, etc. We all love to hear those words, "have you lost weight? You look really good!" as we go down this path. We want to be noticed and know that our efforts are making a difference to those on the "outside." But the weight loss and the lifestyle changes really have to be something that you want to do for your own self, even if you were the only one on the planet. It's taken me quite a while to get around to this way of thinking (and I still have more acceptance to work on towards that goal, for sure - on some days it's just not clicking in my head at all) that I need to do this for my OWN health and wellbeing, not because I want to feel more attractive to my husband, or because I want to weigh less than my neighbor, or because I want to shock my family at the next birthday party, etc. I'm doing this for me! I don't want to be heavy anymore. I want to add more years to my life. I don't want to be a diet failure statistic anymore. I want to feel better within my own skin. I don't want to be entering my 50s as an obese woman. ....You have to have YOUR own reasons and agenda. No one in your family has to know anything or be told anything, etc. That only sets you up for being judged along the way. (If anyone questions what's on your plate, just say "I don't eat that anymore." They don't have to know why).... You're on your way to wellness and a slimmer more healthy you. That really has to be enough for any of us to be a success at this or any other efforts we take on the road to a new and improved body - you have to want it enough for YOU, because YOU matter! :) Off my soap box and onto my day...bye all! nyKath
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

nyKath:

Applause, applause, applause..........

Theresa:

I am going to try something the next time I have an excuse to cook for a group (family or otherwise). I plan to make a complete LDL feast from soup to no nuts and after they have consumed their 3rd helping of Neet's meatloaf, I will share it with them..................a good cue would be when someone asks for the recipe.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

You are completely right.  I am doing this for myself but I also want my family to be proud of me.  They all love me and are proud of me even if I'm overweight.  I need this so I'm proud of myself.  You all are such good friends.  I'm doing good no craving for candy  so that is really good.  pants feel a little looser.  Friday it will be a week that I started. But I didn't have the book until Monday so I really didn't start 100% until Monday.  I was doing a couple things wrong but I don't think I did any damage.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Thanks for the applause, Joe. We all need more of that in our lives! LOL.... success really won't come until it's in your head, though. Your mind has to be set to change your ways...And Ter, you're doing so well here, and with looser pants already!!! Fabulous... and nothing is "wrong." It may be different, it may not be totally what's on the plan, but for this moment, it just may be what's right for you. You're coming from a different place than you were before and it takes a while to make changes. Gradually we do this so we can live with our new actions and behaviors and the changes will come. :) ...nyKath
Theresa
New, but learning

Post by Theresa »

Well it's been 11 days and all the fat is exactly where it was on the 10th.  reading all your great results I am so impatience.  I have couple of bad days.  but got back on track Sunday. I just need to be patience.  but winter is coming and I know all my pants will not fit.  I will not buy a bigger size.. Anything I can do to give me better results?  I want to take pictures with my grandchildren but not the way i look right now.  Maybe after 25 pound lose.  Help please!!!!!!!!