corn thins

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
grammylaurie
New, but learning

corn thins

Post by grammylaurie »

I have checked several stores around here for Real Foods Original Corn Thins with no luck.  Does anyone have any idea where I can get some??
I am in the SW corner of Michigan, right by the Indiana state line.
imkay

Re: corn thins

Post by imkay »

check out this link
http://www.cornthins.com/USA/Michigan.shtml
they should have them
don't know if that is near you but good luck!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
jeandolleen

Post by jeandolleen »

Hi Laurie, I buy mine at the health food store.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi there. Our local health food store here in NY carries them and they just showed up in 2 specialty/gourmet food and garden centers in our area, too. Some places will order them for the store, too, if you ask them, especially if several people are asking for them. Good luck! nyKath
grammylaurie
New, but learning

Post by grammylaurie »

Thanks. I also have a couple of people looking for me.  I really need to find some snacks and bring a big bag of assorted things and A LOT of fruit with me to work.  I thought by having the XLarge fruit smoothie for breakfast I would be able to make it till lunch with just some seasoned tomato's but I just got so hungry for lunch. And I had a cup of turkey noodle soup. Gosh what was I thinking?? I guess that I should bring my lunch in for a while until I can make wiser choices while out. Well I am eating popcorn now and I have dinner all planned with soup/salad. But I will be more prepared tomorrow and even if it looks like I am moving in I will be bringing a big bag of acceptable foods with me.  I guess that for at least the first few days I will be carring a feed bag with me. That way I will have on hand things I should be eating. I have to confess that I am disappointed in myself right now.
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

Grammylaurie,

Mary actually posted this a few weeks ago about where she orders her Corn Thins from.
I cannot find them either by me so I am going to order myself some also.
Here is the link:

http://www.gezuntheit.net/Products3_CornThins.html
rollingpat
New, but learning

Post by rollingpat »

::)Hi everyone,
Am new to this and am just reading everything I can until my book arrives...I looked into ordering the corn thins...just out of curiosity....for a $2.39 bag they want $10.00 shipping...YIKES!!!
I believe my happy feet will continue looking for them locally...
Pat
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Pat. Should you not be able to find any in a decent driving radius, then ordering them by the case would make the most sense. The cakes are in a sealed inner sleeve (like a chip bag) inside an outer plastic sleeve, so they should really keep for quite a while unopened. A case of 6 or 10 or 12 would then justify the $10 shipping. But please check other places around you, too - health food stores, gourmet markets, specialty food stores, larger food stores, etc. I'm finding that they pop up in unexpected places! Good luck to you...nyKath
jeandolleen

Post by jeandolleen »

Hi Pat, try some of your local health food stores, that is where I buy mine.  Jean 
imkay

Post by imkay »

i found mine at a local grocery store.  if you have a Lowe's Foods try there.  they were in the ethnic section with the mexican foods.  i was shocked and very happy to see them.  now i don't have to drive 30 mintues to a health food store. 
(but still can't find willow run spread anywhere!)
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Imkay. I'm not a soy margarine user, but there are several brands of soy margarine that exist. I guess you could take the ingredient list from the Willow and compare it to the other brands in the health food store and see if another brand is acceptable. One of our larger food stores here in NY is just starting to carry the Willow and they had already had the other brands (I think Earth Balance is one...) in their natural foods section for a while. Wish you luck on your search! nyKath
Sarah
New, but learning

Post by Sarah »

I am going to have to drive 50 miles to go look for these, along with a list of other things, like the soy margarine, etc.  My town doesn't carry very many of the health food type foods.

Could you give us a quick run-down on some of your favorite things you do with these corn thins?    ???  I'm not quite sure how "urgently" I need them!  (LOL!)

Thank you all for putting up with us newbies....  We're catching on...  slowly!

Sarah
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

HI, Sarah. You don't urgently need the Corn Cakes. They're just something different to snack on or to use in place of bread. You can always just eat popcorn in the meantime. That's all they are anyway - just flattened cakes of popcorn, like a rice cake, but thinner. I like to spead salsa on mine or just eat them plain. I know some people make a sandwich out of them for their tasty burgers. Or spread them with the vegetarian refried beans or the allowable hummus spread (posted here or in the book). All very tasty! But if you can't get to them, just continue on your merry way with popcorn and without bread and you'll also do just fine. Good luck to ya! nyKath
Sarah
New, but learning

Post by Sarah »

Thank you, nyKath!  I AM very happy with a bowl of popcorn!  (how satisfying!)  I'll just wait til we head to "the big city" sometime!  I don't want to pay that awful price for shipping either.  YIKES!   :o

Sarah
PattyCakes

Post by PattyCakes »

Hi Sarah!

Those of us in TN have found one place south of Nashville that has the corn thins. For me, that's probably a 3 hour drive. The website is posted in this thread. I understand they have a number you can call to find the nearest store with the product. However, I've chosen not to order because of the shipping costs and I don't want to buy a large quantity without sampling first. I think of them as an "extra", not something I have to have at all.

Same with the soy products. I have found the veggie cheese at Kroger here. Walmart has the roasted soy nuts. However, Willow Run is not to be found, so when I "must" have it for cooking I use extra virgin olive oil. If it's to adorn something, I either use butter buds or "I Can't Believe its not Butter" spray.

To get to a grocery, it's 25 miles. I go once a week. There is a small health food store there, but the cost is prohibitive for me. But, that's ok, we've done just fine eating fruits, veggies, lean ground beef and turkey, and all the other allowable foods.

Best of luck to you!
Patty
imkay

Post by imkay »

hey nykath,
we had the discussion a few months ago about earth balance.  roger troy said there was something in it, i think palm seed oil?, that was not appropriate.  he even called the willow run company for me and it is over 200 miles from where i am.  i will keep up the search.  but thanks for the advice.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi, Imkay. That could be a problem! Like I said, I don't use the soy margarines. I think Nature's Soy or Soy Garden might be another brand. I'll have to look on the shelves of my local HFS and see what the few of them there are actually called to see if there is another acceptable product out there. ...nyKath
flwrswlt
New, but learning

Post by flwrswlt »

Hi Grammylaurie,

I possibly live close to you by your description. I would also say that I am from SW MI just over the border from IN. I am going to a larger city this coming weekend for those forever hiding corn thins. I wouldn't mind picking you up some. Let me know if you are interested.

Madelon
bleego
New, but learning

Post by bleego »

You can use this to look for stores that sell corn thins in your area.

http://www.cornthins.com/interUSA.shtml

Good Luck

Barb
Barb