Earth Balance???

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
abundantlyblessed

Earth Balance???

Post by abundantlyblessed »

We have been using this product, Earth Balance, for several years now and really like the taste of it.  Is this one ok to use on LDL?  Here's a link to the website. http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html

TIA,
Michele
PattyCakes

Re: Earth Balance???

Post by PattyCakes »

I went to the website Michelle. I didn't see a list of ingredients, however, in the FAQ, there was reference to palm oil. Roger says in several posts to avoid palm oil. If you go to search and type in palm oil, it will bring you up his posts regarding it.

Patty
abundantlyblessed

Here are the ingredients.  I thought the website would have it but I didn't see it when I went to look again.  :(  I searched the website a few days ago for info on this product and didn't see anything and now, I'm seeing a few.  I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that are already answered. 

Expeller-pressed Natural Oil Blend (palm fruit, soybeen, canola, and olive), filtered water, pure salt, natural flavor (derived from corn, no MSG, no alcohol, no gluten), crushed soy beans, soy lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy derived from sugar beets), colored with beta-carotene from natural sources.

I appreciate your patience,
Michele
PattyCakes

Post by PattyCakes »

Don't apologize for asking a question to which you don't know the answer! We're all still learning and growing. Ask away.

I honestly don't know the answer since it's written that way, but it sounds like it is oil of the palm. I'm sure Roger or Little Mary will, maybe some of the others.

Patty
imkay

Post by imkay »

roger and i had this discussion a few months ago.  he did not recommend it because of the palm if i remember correctly.  i can not find willow run spread anywhere in my area and use this SPARINGLY for cooking only.  maybe he will chime in again and give his thoughts on this product.  but you are right michele, it is very good.
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
abundantlyblessed

SO what is wrong with coconut?

Just wondering,
Michele
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi, Michele! Coconut is about 2/3 saturated fat and in this plan is to be avoided. There is plenty of research out there that will show that adding fats like coconut oil into your diet is very healthy (and other research will say never eat coconut products), but saturated fats are avoided on LDL including butter and all the high-fat dairy, nuts, avocados, etc. Ultimately, only you can make the choice to take a chance and stall your weight loss or to live with whatever consequences may come about if you make off-plan choices. Gotta make it work for you and your own body! :) nyKath
abundantlyblessed

marysimmons wrote:I think "palm fruit" is just like saying a coconut, just a fancier way of saying it.  Where I live, we have lots of types of palm trees, and they all bear fruits that are essentially different types of coconuts.
Mary

This struck me, so I thought I'd look into it.  Here is a webpage with some pictures of very different palm fruits (of which coconut is just one but so is a date). http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph10.htm

This website has information on the actual oil itself.
http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2005/s ... rotino.htm

So, what do you think?

I checked today and the Willow Run is not available in my stores.  :(

Michele, who is now enlightened a bit more on the fruits of palms.  ;D
niki

Post by niki »

hi michele..thank you for providing these links for this info...i honestly didn't realize that there was that much variety in the fruit of different palm trees......i know saw palmetto to be a very valuable herb....and i find the concept of the difference between palm fruit oil and palm kernel oil very interesting....
  a few years ago i bought a small tub of virgin coconut oil when i read that it was good for hypothyroidism and that people were using it to boost their energy levels.....there is very interesting research on the subject of virgin coconut oil that i don't fully dismiss.......i had read what roger told someone about coconut oil so i didn't bring the subject up....but,i paid something like $60 for that small tub that i believed to be very healthy and so i have used it on numerous occasions without having any additional hunger or cravings.....i wouldn't spend that money again....i just wasn't going to throw it in the garbage...there have been times i've put it on my popcorn without any problems..when i made that soybean stir fry,i actually used a little coconut oil....my vat is almost empty...i wouldn't spend that money again,so for me it's not an issue...............niki