HELP - family reunion time

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
grammylaurie
New, but learning

HELP - family reunion time

Post by grammylaurie »

Hi everyone. GOD is good. I have been doing so good with this that I can not believe it.
We even went out to eat at a steak house after church on Sunday. I had a HUGE salad and my husbands favorite meal - sirloin tip/mushroom/onion.  I never took a bite of potato and when I went up to the food bar I walked right past the noodles. I had green beans/corn/carrots. As my husband was eating dessert I had a large dish of melon.  He could not believe that I had no noodles (I could not either). I was so excited.  Well yesterday was another great day. PRAISE GOD. Thank you Roger for being obedient and sharing this with all of us.  Anyway, my family reunion is Saturday. I am the youngest of a blended family (19 children) well we grew up poor (too many mouths to feed I guess) and we are all good cooks. Not healthy cooks but the ones that can really fill you up. You know - potatoes, homemade noodles, spaghetti, cakes, cookies, brownies. We also have a auction and bake sale to make money for next year.  HELP! 1st please pray for me. 2nd I need ideas for a few dishes to take that I can eat and be full. I also want to have some tempting - better choices for my family. I am not going to say anything to anyone and when they all see me at Christmas they will all be amazed. I can picture myself at Christmas having to buy small pants and being able to tie my shoes while still breathing. Thanks for all of the support from everyone.  Laurie
rhernan216

Re: HELP - family reunion time

Post by rhernan216 »

You have my prayers and also with all your strength ask GOD to lead you thru this tempting time. You have already accepted his blessing now keep going and don't look back. He will provide all the strength you need to make it. Yeah , yeah  your family will all be hooting and saying how they cannot live without chocolate , or potatoes or pasta but you will just eat what you know is right and by example they will see your commitment. You won't have to tell them anything...they will come to you. Yes ! they will be amazed and so proud of you. kepp that vision in your heart and in your mind constantly. Do not lose focus of that goal. Soon enough you won't be doing this to please anyone but yourself and then to be able to step back and hand all of the Glory To God for hearing your prayers for an answer to losing weight. Maybe your mouth never asked him for LDL but he knows your heart and that is what he listened to.

Your friend in Christ!

rh
Richard Hernandez
niki

Post by niki »

hi laurie...i love hearing how well you're doing......as for this family reunion,i would suggest you eat loads of fruit that morning so that you start off hungry......
  you could make the fresh string beans i posted...or make greek bean soup without adding any extra water and have the consistency of baked beans(both things are good eaten cold or at room temperature..you could make meatballs(there are a couple of recipes..my greek meat balls have either ground roasted chick peas or ground soynuts as the filler...you could use that same stuff as the breading for boneless chicken breasts...go through the recipes and see what hits you....i'm assuming at this time of the year and with all those people,it'll be outside...so there are loads of things you could barbeque..you could skewer boneless chicken breasts with vegetables....and good ole corn on the cob and watermelon always come to mind...............whatever you prepare,have a blast...................niki       
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Wishing you strength to survive the food onslaught and a wonderful time spent with family. Keep in mind that family is the key ingredient and not the food, although we all do equate food with love and are brought up knowing it and practicing it. Please try and refrain from the sugared high-fat desserts, whatever you do.  After eating LDL for a few weeks, I also went to a family reunion and ate wonderfully all day until confronted with ice cream and brownies at the end of the night. I didn't overdo it by any means, but after having eaten low sugar and low carb for all those weeks, my body was just not used to this kind of food, especially very late in the evening, and I was SO sick for the next 2 days that I couldn't go to work! At first I thought it was food poisoning, but no one else experienced it. I'm going to attribute it to pure overindulgence. The nausea, diarrhea, and the carb headache/hangover were unbelievable. I surely won't be tempted to do that again! Wishing you more resistance than I, Laurie! Enjoy your family with love.... nyKath
rhernan216

Post by rhernan216 »

same thing happened to me when we went to Colorado on vacation and ate ( 1) meal with Lisa's parents. 4th of July...deep fried chicken strips, mashed potatoes and ice cream...again i didn't over do it but my body was so tuned to LDl it rejected the whole meal and I was sick the rest of the night too. From that point forward I have stayed commited to LDL and refrain from anything remotely not acceptable on LDL.  Maybe it is a learning curve we all have to experience for ourselves but I learned my lesson. Your eyes and your brain may want to eat all that food but if you have been on LDL for any length of time chances are you will experience some distress. Have the Immodium handy if you do .lol.

rh
Richard Hernandez
grammylaurie
New, but learning

Post by grammylaurie »

Thanks everyone.
And you are so right Richard - God knew my heart, even when my mouth was to busy eating the bad things. I had become so depressed with being overweight that I would wake up in the night and worry about it.  Feeling like I had no way out. And I truly believe that God opened a door for me and Roger Troy walked through it and said here sister this is what God wants you to do. I am so THANKFUL. And you know what I may have been overweight for many years and I wish I would have found this out years ago. But God is NEVER late. He is right on time. He knew when I would be ready for this and that I would succeed, right now. I can not believe that joy and freedom that I feel when I know that I will make it.  Praise the Lord!  Grammy Laurie
niki

Post by niki »

you are absolutely right......God is NEVER late...He is ALWAYS on time......
  i thought the same thing....too bad i didn't hear about this 10 yrs ago...that would have been another 10 years of my ever dwindling youth that i would have been thin and food would have had NO control over me.....
  thank you for reminding me of this.....and since it's SO important,i'll say it again......
    God is NEVER late...He is ALWAYS on time...........hallelujah...........................in Him,niki 
PattyCakes

Post by PattyCakes »

I sure understand the family reunion temptations, my husband is one of 14 and we just had the big shindig in July. LOL...talk about sugar overload! Funny thing was, I took LDL, ate a lot of it, but alas was tempted by the old devil himself. I remembered the rest of the night and the next day why I gave up that stuff!

If you have the book, one of my favs is the cranberry/orange chicken. It makes for good presentation and is yummy. I double the recipe for the sauce because of the half can and freeze it in serving size containers for future use. Another that's great is the baked bean recipe in the book. I didn't know baked beans could taste that good without brown sugar and bacon on top. I always take a fresh veggie tray with ranch dressing for dipping. There are several excellent recipes in the book that I think would be great for the reunion.

Patty