Chipotle Black Bean Burgers

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
JerrieH

Chipotle Black Bean Burgers

Post by JerrieH »

Does anyone know if Little Mary ever posted a recipe for a chipotle black bean burger yet? I thought she was going to a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find the recipe, if it was posted. Thanks.
omalani
Master Member

Re: Chipotle Black Bean Burgers

Post by omalani »

This is a repost of Zestie's black bean burger:

This is a basic receipe to use for amounts.
Southwest Black Bean Burgers.
2 (15 ounce cans) black beans, rinsed and drained-- I use fresh about 3 cups black, red or pinto or all of them!
2 carrots, peeled and grated--I grate into bowl. Keeping all the juice or moisture from the carrot.
2 tablespoons onion, grated--grate into bowl
4 cloves garlic, grated--or I use roasted garlic--my favorite..
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped-- or more. This is my favorite herb
1 TBSP chopped canned chipotle pepper.
½ tablespoon cumin--I love cumin- I use about 3/4 TBSP
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
2 large eggs, whisked-- I just use 2 egg whites or fake eggs. sometimes I add 1 tsp of EVOO and some days I don't.
1 cup panko bread crumbs--I use 1/2 to 3/4 cups of corn thins..Going to try and use just leftover popcorn like Ms.Heirloom suggested. Hey, I always have that in the house!
1 tablespoon olive oil-- this is for "frying"...I don't do this. I brush with oil and use grille pan or outside grille

1.. Place black beans in a large mixing bowl and mash until you begin to have a paste but with some black beans still left whole. This is where I will add the left over grilled corn..

3. Add carrots, onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, salt, smoked paprika, eggs and corn thins. Mix thoroughly with your hands.
4. Form the mixture into patties.
5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook patties until they are heated through and just beginning to form a crust. I have grilled these and they hold up very well.

This recipe makes quite a few burgers (about 8). Fortunately these freeze well. If you want to go that route, just
form in pattie's and freeze. I haven't had any "cooked" left overs, but if I did. I would freeze.
This receipe came from TheSensuist.com. I have just edited it for my own use making the necessary changes I like and want to make it LDL friendly.. The original was called Southwest Quinoa Black bean Burger.

I have an ORgreenIC Pancake pan that I use to make burgers, fry eggs and cook small amounts in. It is great, you just flip it over and the non-stick lid frys the top of the burger or food. That was my biggest complaint about veggie burgers. They spatula would mess it up because it did not support the whole burger, when it was flipped. It is great for fixing burgers for DH. Hope this will help you.

This is a similar recipe by Blessed:
I got this off the internet (don't remember where). Don't think they are posted here. I have tried these and I think they are pretty good.

1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup crushed Wasa Light Rye Crispbread
salt and pepper to taste

Heat grill or pan over medium low heat. In food processor pulse onion and garlic till finely chopped. Add 1 can of beans, cilantro, parsley, egg and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine. Transfer to mixing bowl. Add remaining can of beans and Wasa crispbread. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well; divide into 4 patties and cook on medium low heat about 6 minutes on each side.

The original recipe called for 1/2 cup bread crumbs, but the Wasa worked fine. I like mine crisp on the outside. And I probably used about a half can that I added whole. The recipe said to use the rest for something else. Hope you like these as much as I did. Also I didn't have any fresh parsley or cilantro and I just used dried cilantro and no parsley (cause I didn't have any).

This is another recipe if you like curry by Mary J:
Vegetarian Curry Burgers
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
1 1/2 cups white button mushrooms, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas
1 medium carrot, grated (about 1 cup)
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 egg whites (to hold mixture together)
Directions
In a medium nonstick skillet over mediumhigh heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion, curry powder, coriander, and fennel. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes, or until the onion starts to soften. Add the mushrooms. Stir to mix. Cover and cook for about 4 minutes longer, or until the liquid pools in the pan. Uncover and cook for about 3 minutes more, or until the liquid is evaporated.
Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the chickpeas. Pulse until well chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Add the carrot, cilantro, salt, and pepper and egg whites, mix well.
Shape the mixture into six 4" wide patties.
In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place the patties in the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Flip and cook for about 4 minutes longer, or until heated

Here is a recipe from snowbirdie:
Hi everyone,
I have a new recipe for you all. I always want meat at my evening meal and it is hard to not,so I found this recipe and tried it. It is so good. So here goes.
2 tsp olive oil
3 green onions including tops chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 teaspoon each of oregano and chili powder
1 cup diced sweet red or green peppers
1/2 cup chopped pickled peppers( I used pepperocini as this is what I had)
1/2 a tomato chopped
1 can of chick peas drained and rinsed
1/3 cup wasa crackers crumbed
2 tbls parsley or cilantro chopped
1. in skillet heat 1 tsp of oil over medium heat and cook onions,garlic,oregano,and chili powder stirring for about 3 minutes add peppers
and tomatoes cook stirring for 3 minutes or untill pepper is tender and liquid is evaporated.
2. In food processor mix pepper mixture with chick peas and transfer to bowl. Stir in wasa crumbs,parsley and salt and pepper to taste
mix till well combined press and shape into four burgers
3. In skillet heat remaining oil over medium heat and cook burgers for minutes 4 on each side until heated and browned through. Then
enjoy.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

I can't wait for Mary version either. I love all of her receipes..
I also use this one from Sanda Lee on the Foodtv.com site. It's a lot simplier
They are really good. I just buy a can of adobo, chop up what I need. Add to bean mixture and freeze the rest. 1 TBSP of adobe/Chipotle makes them real spicy..

Ingredients
1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves - I just use cilantro
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes- I omit and add chipotle peppers or 1 TBSP choppe adobe sauce from a can 1/2 cup bread crumbs . I use corn thins or left over popcornSalt and fresh ground black pepper

Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-low heat.
In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, cilantro, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.
Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
Reserve 1/3 of the black bean mixture for Round 2 Recipe. Divide remaining mixture into 4 portions and form into patties. Place on hot oiled grill over medium-low heat and cook about 6 minutes a side or until heated through.
Zesty
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Thank you Omalani and Zesti for the recipes you posted for the bean burgers.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

JerriH,
Most welcome. Did you ever try the garbonza pizza? Do you have a problem with baking soda and powder stalling your weight loss?
Zesti
JerrieH

Post by JerrieH »

Hi Zesti. No, I haven't noticed a stall in weight loss from baking powder or baking soda. I have not tried the garbanzo pizza. I haven't seen that recipe. I will have to look it up. I love hummus though. I also love oven baking the garbanzo beans until they are crispy with seasonings on them, but the last time I made them I think I had too many of them and wondered if it stalled my weight loss.
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

JerriH
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10542
is a post I did asking you about the pizza. I haven't tried it yet either but I am going to.
I have a pizza stone so I am thinking I am going to try to make the crust for pizza and then just some flavored chips with it too.
I did the Sandra Lee black bean burgers yesterday. They are really good. I didn't have any chipotle peppers though, and I used popcorn instead of bread crumbs. I am out of corn thins too!
I sauted in coconut oil too. Yummy. Nice and crispy on the outside
Zesti.