Let's Do Lunch...and become NOT HUNGRY!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Bethesda

Re: Let's Do Lunch...and become NOT HUNGRY!

Post by Bethesda »

I think a forum like this is so invaluable. Just knowing you are not alone on this journey. Accountability!!
I was really thinking I had lost nothing or had even put on weight but when I hopped on the scales this morning for my monthly weigh in I had lost over 1 kilo. I am happy with that. I only want to lose slowly.
I am not able to exercise much at all due to health issues, a slow walk is the best I manage.
For a xmas afternoon tea when everyone was having pudding and custard and cream, I took my own pudding and put on a couple of teaspoons of cream. It was really delicious. It obviously hasn't stalled my weight loss.
xmas pudding = banzo biscuit recipe with a handful of mixed dried fruit and quite a bit of glace ginger.....microwaved.
I bought a new non-stick frypan, not expensive but what a difference having a new pan. I think if you have good kitchen gadgets etc it makes a big difference sticking to a WOE.
ps. I cooked the pudding in a ramekin so it came out like a little pudding for one.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

It is so much fun to find you can make things to replace the high fat, high sugar desserts with healthier food that actually taste better to you. and an occasional few spoons of cream in a hot drink or on a dessert are that LITTLE something to your LDL food that satisfies your taste and your body. The key is to use it occasionally not habitually. I used to want the hot pumpkin smoothies to taste like pumpkin pie with condensed milk, sugar and eggs. Now I enjoy the banana and pineapple flavor better and no heartburn later. I did buy some frozen 100% pineapple juice to sweeten it rather than the crushed pineapple because I can make smaller quantities without having leftover pineapple to store. The only thing I lose is a little extra fiber. Life is exciting when you discover God's simple pleasures.
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

I have been making my own soy nuts. first I pressure cook the soy beans and then microwave them with some olive oil and salt seasoning for 10 minutes. At this stage they still aren't very crunchy so I put them in a jar and when I want to eat them I put the required amount in a dish and mirowave again for a couple of minutes and they are nice and crunchy and warm.
Lunch today was a canned salmon salad with green tea and tea tonight was leftover popcorn pancakes topped with tomato and thin low fat cheese with homemade salsa on the side. Watermelon cubed for dessert. Our summer fruits are available now and corn is much more reasonable in price.
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

I also missed my desserts, but I have used recipes on board to make my own. The right kitchen gadgets make it easier. I suppose my favorite would be smoothies made in vitamix. My dessert of choice are fresh fruits in season. :ymhug: JF
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Well, I am still having issues with making my lunch satisfying enough without making myself feel stuffed and bloated. It seems a bit contradictory because we are told not to become hungry but then at one stage it said that if we did something or other. (I cant remember exactly what) that we would be starving by lunchtime. Well, if I am starving at lunch time and I have to cook a midday meal then I am not in much of a mood to be struggling to cook.
What I am doing at the moment is just eating what I can for lunch, then having popcorn or soynuts at 3 or 4 and then tea at 6pm. By tea-time I am very hungry still.
I have discovered something that makes a variation on pop-corn. The second day when the popcorn is a bit stale I spray with olive oil and then put in the toaster oven for 5 minutes and then take out and sprinkle with seasoning. The popcorn is all yummy and crunchy.
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Well, I just thought I would let everyone know how I went over the holiday period. After losing 12 kilos over a few months the holiday period has seen me maintain which I am very happy about and when the visitors etc all go I will get strict again so I can lose a few more kilos.
I bent the rules a little as it has been a bit hard having the main meal at lunch time and I made myself a xmas pudding which is banzo biscuit with extra dried fruit and ginger. I have probably had a few tablespoons of ice-cream, a couple of biscuits, a little extra milk and probably had fruit at the wrong time. Fruit is amazing at this time of year with mangoes, stone fruit, melons etc.
I think I will get a pedometer and try to do the 10000 steps a day for motivation.
I am really hooked on this way of eating but it would be really nice if this forum was more active.
Blessings to everyone.
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Bethesda- I, too, wish the forums were more active. However, you are doing a wonderful job at adapting to LDL while living life! Keep up the good job and you'll soon be dancing the skinny dance!
Pam
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

So right! :ymhug: JF
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I have been ill with a cold all weekend, so I haven't had any time at the Library. My granddaughter called on Thursday night and asked if I could meet her at the Dallas airport. They had a 10 hour layover on their way to Argentina. I got a sub for my water aerobics class and left for Dallas in my new car. It was a straight shot to the airport and I only got lost once. I picked them up and they drove in town. We had a great time!! Sammie was so excited to see her Oma and my new car. They opened the sunroof and I got a chance to sit in the backseat. If I hadn't had this cough all day, it would have been perfect. It was so great to get hugs and we had fun. They are in Argentina and getting a chance to enjoy summer down south of the equator. Life has unexpected pleasures.
I dreamed last night that I reached my goal weight. It was such a great view into the future.
Aloha,
Leilani

I know what I'm doing, says the Lord.
I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
Jeremiah 29:11

KayGMcCullough

Post by KayGMcCullough »

I have been eating the Let's Do Lunch way since July 2014. I have found this to be the most satisfying method I've used to lose weight AND become HEALTHY. During the first couple of months, I ate tons of fruit, then tapered off because I no longer feel the need to eat so much of anything. I know the fruit has satisfied my cravings for processed sugar treats because twice I have put a piece of chocolate candy in my mouth and had to spit it out because it did not taste good to me. All I can say is WOW and Praise God! I have lost 35.2 LB. and a total of 14.75 inches to date. My knees no longer bother me and with the addition of chiropractic adjustments, I am avoiding lower back surgery. Again, Praise Be to God! and thank you, Roger Troy, for sharing your successful food plan with me. :)
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I have been stalled for almost 2 years after losing 50 lbs but I am going down again. I don't have to do the portion control, but enjoy eating well and having improved health. The last year was the hardest, even though I am retired because I was going through a divorce and am stressed. However I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I didn't gain the 50 lbs. back, so I consider that a miracle. I sometimes can't get enough to eat and other days forget to eat. The only times I have trouble are when I eat non-LDL foods. Life is challenging.
Aloha,
Leilani

I have it all planned out - plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

I am still struggling with this NOT BECOMING HUNGRY issue. It seems a bit contradictory at times. I read where Roger said at one stage, that by lunch we would become ravenously hungry but other times we are told not to let ourselves get hungry. If I am really really hungry at lunch time I find it extremely difficult coping with preparing a mid-day main meal.
I just can't eat enough in one sitting to last very long. Within 2 hours of breakfast I am hungry again and within 2 hours of lunch I am hungry again. I just can't stuff myself with protein, vegetables, beans etc in one sitting. By tea time I am also really hungry again.
How many frozen grapes am I allowed to eat and when should I eat them? If I can't sleep I will often eat a few frozen grapes in the middle of the night. Also, popcorn, how often and how much should I eat of this?
I have plateau ed with my weight. I need to lose quite a few more pounds. People are all noticing and saying how great I look. Apart from that, I don't feel any different or have any less pain despite all those kilos of lost fat.
Blessings to everyone. jeni.
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

It is progress that we focus on and not speed. I know it is discouraging but never give up. The fat is replaced with water as the weight shifts around and the water will go when the body is ready. At times when I am not losing, I seem to get that comment, "you are losing weight". Plateaus are part of the process. I find the easiest time for me is between breakfast and lunch because I have things I like to do. I go swimming at the YMCA and go to the Library to use the computer. When I do get hungry, I just put it off and in less than a minute the hunger pangs go away or just drink water and I get that full feeling. I eat large quantities of food and I eat what I love. The past few days I have run out of fruit so I am eating less. I am down a pound, so that tells me maybe I am doing too much fruit. I have also had an ounce of 1/2 & 1/2 every day or so in my tea. I find green tea so tasty with a little flavor and sweetner. I use vanilla, rum, lemon, and other flavorings to add variety. I love the fruit teas with a little 100% juice in them, especially pomegranate. I also like lime and pineapple. Keep the variety in your menus so you don't get bored. My biggest problem is in the afternoon. Lately I have been reading instead of watching TV. I have a bad habit of eating while watching TV, added to all the tempting food ads they show in the afternoon. Like Zesti said once, I have a long lunch that lasts from 2pm to 6pm! Life is worth it and you will have more life to your years if you just stick to the program. God bless you one and all. Live life L-) and be a loser!
Aloha,
Leilani

LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I too have struggled with the hunger issue, Cannot eat enough at work for lunch to become stuffed. Not enough time and I have to eat at noon. I have tried corn thins at my desk for the "munchies" but on an empty stomach, I had low blood sugar issues and I would end up eating a whole sleeve. Then I tried the sugar-free gum and I would chew large quantities and then had issues with my teeth resulting in having one pulled. I think the artificial sweeteners are not so good. Now I chew soft ice. When I started LDL I faithfully had 2 eggs every morning because I have low blood sugar issues with sweets (fruits) early in the am. I was hungry all day. So I quit breakfast altogether and had my black coffee in the mornings. I now get hungry around 10 and at that time I would eat something handy, usually a banana. I slid into the cookies, cakes, sweets thing and gradually over the year gained back nearly 20 lbs. It is not the 55 I initially lost and had I reverted to all the junk food I used to eat it would have been more. I am on my way down again. The stalls and plateaus are hard. Increasing exercise or just changing your eating routine may help. Neither of which I was able to do, but I am just thankful that I did not balloon out and because of what I learned on LDL, I am back on the skinny train once again.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

Kay- I have been out of town and just noticed your post. Welcome to the LDL boards and congratulations on the excellent results you are achieving. Way to go. Keep us posted on your successes, big and small. This is a wonder and healthy way of eating that helps us become the healthiest we can be!
:) ;) :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Yes, I would like to welcome Kay as well and so pleased you are doing so well fellow LDL er,
I am still struggling with the lunch issue. I am just so used to finishing up my main meal with bread or fruit and we can't have either. I can only eat a certain amount of beans, peas and corn because of a bowel issue.
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

With Let's Do Lunch, you eat your choices of any and all the foods and "simple & delicious" recipes, until you are full, whenever you are hungry, no matter how often that is and No Matter How Many Calories You Consume...including lean red meat & starchy carbs! (Let's Do Lunch will Force your body to become Not Hungry...thus, you eat less!)

Okay, I am still doing this exactly and a year has passed. I have lost 30 pounds and I am happy with that. I have reached a plateau for the last couple of months.
However I am certainly not eating less and I am still just as hungry.
Are you sure this WOE doesn't have something to do with calories. My exercise level is the same.
Bethesda

Post by Bethesda »

Hello, I am back again. I lost a lot of weight but put it all back on because I went on a luxury cruise and then had all my teeth removed and ate all the wrong food and then of course chocolate for xmas. I never did get to that point of not being hungry. I get full and then hungry again pretty quickly. Lunch is difficult because I can't stuff myself enough to stay full till tea time. I never have or have had a problem with cravings. I have begun again and the toaster has been put away, no bread. This time hubby is keeping me company but I will have to be careful he doesn't lose weight as he is already pretty skinny. Popcorn machine out again. What is wrong with besan flour? Its chickpeas right?
:ymhug:
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

You can do it, Bethesda. Lots of us didn't eat right over Christmas!