Joe's Vegetable Juice Fast

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Joe's Vegetable Juice Fast

Post by joecaracappa »

As some of you know, I went on a juice fast after watching a documentary film titled "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" (available on Netflix and at the the film's website)

Today is the 60th and last day. During this time period I have lost in excess of 70 lbs. Tomorrow I will break the fast and begin a 90 day period of just plant based foods (LDL without animal products). The weight loss I have experienced so far has been so radical, I have friends who think I'm ill. My physician did supervise the fast and I will see him again on Friday for my official weigh-in!

In addition, at this point I have also decided to eliminate wheat (well, maybe not communion).....forever! This is another topic entirely but I will say this. The wheat we have now is not the wheat grandma used! I got Delia off it and in three days joint pains she has had for years....were gone! On Mother's Day (after being pain free for two weeks) she went out and had breakfast with our son and decided to have pancakes. In three hours, the pains came back! :((

Joe
LINDA RN
Master Member

Re: Joe's Vegetable Juice Fast

Post by LINDA RN »

BTW Joe. I just receved my order of gluten free communion waffers from Vitacost!
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I thought I sent you a post, so here it is again. Maybe Delia would like banana pancakes. I love them with a little Polander's all fruit jam, nuked about 15 sec. It's like fruit syrup or pure maple syrup. Jencita's recipe follows:

Banana Pancakes
2 eggs
1 banana
cinnamon
vanilla extract

Whisk 2 eggs, add a smooshed banana, add a dash cinnamon and a dash vanilla. Spray pan with nonstick spray and fry pancakes - makes 3 - They look just like the pancakes made with flour. They are amazing!!! They are so good that it tricks my brain into thinking that I am eating real pancakes. Very filling. You can add blueberries as well.

I just make them in the blender and it works better for me with greener bananas as they have more starch and less sugar. I also fry them on my orgreenics non-stick pan with EVCO. The coconut oil does not absorb, so less fat.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Omalani:

I love this! Thank You!

Joe
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Linda:

Exactly how does that work. I'm Catholic so does the priest consecrate the host with the rest of his batch or do you carry it up with you during communion?

Joe
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

I think a lot of the communion wafers are made with rice flour. Check with your priest about it, maybe it would be a non issue. Glad you like the pancakes however eggs are an animal product. I am so inspired by how God is working in your life Joe. and I know that God can make a way when there seems to be no way.
I have been drinking smoothies and I had some heartburn after the green smoothie I bought at Aldi's. Does anyone know if wheat grass is from GMO wheat? I am excited about the Alaskan adventure and I plan to get the prepared juices along the way. Life is an adventure. B-)
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

The pancakes would be for Delia. She is doing Weight Watchers at the moment (without the wheat products).
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Mary:

If it turns out the hosts are wheat, then I will just take the wine (The rule for wine is that it must be 12-20% alcohol.......I like this rule!)

I like "il Papa'" too!

Joe
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Broke the fast today with spinach saute'd with garlic! It was sooooooooooooooo good!
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

Joe, congratulations on your weight loss. I have wanted to do a soup and juice fast for one week and can never last that long. Awesome that you were able to do this for 60 days. My sister is a nun and she says that you may receive just the wine for communion, or just the host, or both. Funny but even when I was on Atkins diet, I never considered the host that I consumed every Sunday but I still lost weight. I just had my LDL pancakes this morning - I forgot to put the cinnamon and vanilla and they were still wonderful. I also love the new pope :D
omalani
Master Member

Post by omalani »

Doesn't everybody love the new pope?
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Saw the doctor today...........my blood pressure was 101/76 so as of today I am completely off meds!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Congratulations!!!#
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Omalani:

Made the pancakes this morning! Very good! Delia loved them!

Here are some observations:

When I made the batter I only had bananas that were a little on the ripe side so the batter came out very thin. Before I tried cooking anything, I added a Tbl of almond flour (milled almonds) and a tsp of baking soda.

I started by cooking 3" pancakes. They were a bit tricky to get under and turn so I tried covering them with a glass lid. When under the lid I noticed the pancakes would form bubbles like a regular pancake, they cooked faster and were a lot easier to turn (and not splatter).

They came out like crapes which is fine. I moved up to 6" pancakes without any problems and folded one over some blueberries for Delia, big hit!.

The next time I do this I would like to try it with greener bananas and use baking powder instead of baking soda.

I made 4 six inch pancakes for my son and he also gave it a thumbs up. I think we got a winner here Roger! :ymapplause:

Joe
jencita
Master Member

Post by jencita »

I am so happy that you like the pancakes. Sounds like you made some great changes. Yay!
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks for the tip about putting a lid on it.
When grandkids get here, I will try them adding coconut flour.
They are both very thin and don't need to loose weight, but want to keep them eating healthy.
Linda

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

My dear friend Carolyn from high school is staying with us for a few days. She and her daughter Judith came to LA to find a place for Judith to live while she is going to school out here. Carolyn was watching my FB posts about the juicing and decided to try it. She's two weeks into it and down 19 lbs!
Now Judith is juicing too!

In between telling "war stories" we will be discussing our own personal "Battles of the Bulge", about juicing, wheat and of course LDL!

Joe