Pickled Eggs

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LINDA RN
Master Member

Pickled Eggs

Post by LINDA RN »

Does anyone have a simple (or terrific) recipe for pickled eggs without the beets?
We are getting lots of fresh eggs now and hubby wants to pickle them with and without the beets.
I have always picked eggs using pickled beets but he wants tem also in the clear vinegar brine.
Did a search on the internet for the proprtion of vinegar to water to salt and every recipe I found called for pickling spices.
Did not want to go in store today so looked for recipies for pickling spices and of course I don't have everying on hand.
Sooooo anyone have a great recipe they can share?
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Re: Pickled Eggs

Post by LittlePrincess »

Linda did you ever find one girly?

Blessed and Loved,
LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

No not yet LP.
Finally decided I would have to develop my own recipes.
Will do small batches until I get it right.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Hi Linda,
Go too http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2043/pickled-eggs.aspx/
Lots of GREAT info on pickling and how to boil an egg properly..Wish I had some of your fresh eggs!!

I pickle EVERY thing. You don't have to use sugar either, it does not do anything as in perserving, it's for taste only. I use lots of spices..You can add hot pepper or yellow curry too.
Basic pickling spices are:mustard seeds, black pepper corns,dill weed.cardamom, ginger, coriander, allspice, chili pepppers, cloves and bay leaf...
It you have all of these in your cupboard, make a mixture of about 1 tsp of each, test in a cup of hot water like a tea. Adjust to your liking...Or just try keeping it simple at first and just add corriander or just hot peppers, dried or fresh..
Zesti
Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Oops forgot to add...just in case you don't feel like surfing today.. :D
K.I.S.S

12 very large eggs
350ml (12 fl oz) distilled cider vinegar
350ml (12 fl oz) water
1 tablespoon pickling spice
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to the boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool and peel.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix together the vinegar, water and pickling spice. ( or any dried spice you have in your cupboard).. Bring to the boil and mix in the garlic and bay leaf. Remove from heat.
Transfer the eggs to sterilised containers. Fill the containers with the hot vinegar mixture, seal and refrigerate 8 to 10 days before serving.
:ymhug:
Zesti
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Thanks Zesti. I have tried the method you suggested but doesn't work with fresh eggs.
Bought the egg cooker that actually steams fresh eggs and they actually peel.
Have you tried using fresh herbs? I have rosemary, tyme, basil, sage, oregano, and mint growing.
Have purchased corriander seeds, dill seeds, whole allspice and mustard seeds, ground cloves, dried bay leaves and garlic cloves.
I did find some unopened McCormick Pickling spice and I bought another one yesterday.
Guess I will start with the readt made spices first then adjust accordingly.
Thanks for all your help.
Linda

Zesti
Master Member

Post by Zesti »

Hi Linda,
Yes, I have used fresh herbs. I always try to use what I have on hand or what is fresh in my garden. I dry them later to use. I just have to use a little more fresh than dry, that's the rule anyway!
I enjoyed the webb site when I found the page. How To Cook An Egg! I thought I had that down pat..
Cooking 100's a week in a resturant one gets pretty good at it, but we never had fresh eggs either.
Mom always bought eggs a week ahead of time when we were kids, for Easter egg coloring. They were fresh from the farm then. She should could have used that steamer then! We just boiled, let sit, then ice water, let sit and then peel. Her deviled eggs had to be perfect..
I have never tried mint. I have that growing also, I use alot of that in my cucumber smoothies for summer.
I will have to try it now in my eggs. I also had orange mint. I little twig survived over this past winter. I do hope it comes back. I am looking forward to trying that.
I usually always start with garlic and then "dump" other herbs in. The longer they sit the better of course. I use one jar as a tester. Take an egg out and see if it needs more sage, dill or whatever.
But, I must say. I even enjoy eating my mistakes!
Zesti
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Sounds good Zesty.
I'm looking forward to trying out the fresh stuff.
Linda