Weekend coupon for Goya beans

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
nyKath

Weekend coupon for Goya beans

Post by nyKath »

Hi all. We get our flyers early and there's a coupon this weekend for 75 cents off of 6 cans of Goya beans in the NY flyers, anyway. I like to save when I can, but I also take the easy way out and use canned beans instead of dry ones. I do use the dry split peas for pea soup, though. But for fast salads and soups with lots of variety in the beans, I use the canned ones and just rinse them well before adding them to whatever I'm cooking. Bon appetit! .....nyKath
niki

Re: Weekend coupon for Goya beans

Post by niki »

thanks kathy..i sometimes don't buy the sunday paper...but,i'll stop on my way to work tomorrow and get one....i use canned beans for an emergency...but i also stock them in my basement for a survival stash of supplies.....
  you know,you're health conscious enough to not eat meat and so many other things....it is SO easy to cook beans from dried beans....they're healthier...you don't really know how much of the stuff in that gunk is absorbed into the beans..and you don't know how much of the nutrients survive the processing...i soak the beans overnight and when i get up in the morning,i simmer them until i'm ready to add the vegetables i saute in olive oil......the same pot you pour the canned beans into,you soak the dried beans in.....
  now a newbie will read that and say "oh,kathy doesn't think it's worth cooking dried beans....so i won't either.....niki?......she's obcessed with the subject...what does she know?....they gave her the nickname 'bean queen'"........................see?............................niki     
Last edited by niki on September 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Niki. I'm all about convenience, so the canned beans are worth it to me - the cost of them, the draining of them, the lugging them home, the rinsing them several times before using....Canned veggies aren't deadly, after all! And I like that I can get instant variety with all of the many cans I have stocked up - giant lima beans, pinto beans, small northern beans, chick peas, black beans, red and white kidney beans, etc. And I don't have to worry about forgetting to cook any from the night before as they're already there waiting for me on the shelf. It's great that we have so many choices in the bean world! To each their own.... :) ......nyKath
niki

Post by niki »

thought i'd give it the old college try...sorry.......niki
BettyBoop

Post by BettyBoop »

Well said, nyKath.  I agree with you one hundred percent.

BettyBoop
Rejection means direction!!

All things work together for good to those who love the Lord.  Romans 8:28
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I do both.  I like the convenience when I just want to whip something up - when I actually THINK about things, I'll soak the beans. 

Sometimes I cheat and do the "fast soak"... Put them in water, bring them to a boil, turn off the heat, let them sit for an hour, drain and rinse thoroughly, put more water in and cook them...  hmmmm... writing all that down doesn't sound all that quick, but it is!

Gee, nothing like being on the fence about something, is there?  LOL!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki

Post by niki »

oh i do both too....i have at least a dozen cans of beans downstairs in my basement......i made lentil soup a couple of days ago and i worked today and am working tomorrow and monday....my daughter just finished the last of the lentil soup when she came home.....so i have 2 days that i need bean soup for.....i'll make soup with canned beans for the next 2 days......maybe greek bean soup.....but i made greek bean soup using cannelini beans that were dried and i made 2 pounds of dried beans and FILLED my 4 quart pot with DELICIOUS homemade bean soup......i think i'm in the mood for israeli chick pea soup...i'm going to take 2 pounds of chick peas and soak them probably monday night and make a huge pot of soup...if i have more than my daughter and i can eat,i'll freeze some..................
   i have never eaten this much bean soup IN MY LIFE (regardless of what is commonly thought).......and i have never experimented with different types of soup or different types of beans as much as i have in the last 8 months......and the more i make soup from dried beans,the more i can see and taste the difference........that's all i was trying to share with everyone.................................the bean queen(aka niki....aka "slim")
Last edited by niki on September 9th, 2006, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imkay

Post by imkay »

i prefer canned beans too for the convenience but some beans i can only find dried.  like soy beans, canelli beans and red lentils.  so  i keep both!  but you have to agree that beans are the best!!
( i can't believe it wrote that - have been a bean HATER my whole life until LDL!)
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi Kay. I can find the canned cannellini beans in with other beans here in NY in my regular food store. I can only find canned black soy beans at the health food store, so when I want to use soy beans I just eat the frozen edamame ones in my salads and don't use a cooked variety at all. I do like to add the dry red lentils to my pea soup mix. I think I even saw a can of seasoned cooked lentils somewhere, probably also at the health food store. I'll have to go back and read the extra ingredients and see if they're something to keep around. We're blessed to have all these choices in the bean world available to us, aren't we? Glad you've come around to enjoy these little dynamos, Kay! :).....nyKath
niki

Post by niki »

"BEANS ARE THE BEST.....i can't believe i wrote that - have been a bean HATER my whole life until LDL!"......says kay

yay kay.....the bean queen salutes you.......
Last edited by niki on September 10th, 2006, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

nykath:

I usually get my canned canelli beans in and Italian market..................does LDL stand for "Let's Do Legumes?"

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
niki

Post by niki »

the bean queen regrets that it doesn't.............niki
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Re: Cannelli beans

I believe we saw these on the shelves at our Supercenter Wal-Mart the other day.  They also have a Jalapeno Black-eyed peas.  You might check that out if you have a WM in your area.  They were with all the canned beans/peas.

Forever Young
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!