Superstar beans

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
sweetcheeks
New, but learning

Superstar beans

Post by sweetcheeks »

from Prevention October 2006
Bean lovers eat less total and saturated fat and one-third more fiber than those who nudge legumes to the side of their plates, CDC data shows.  Be adventurous; each bean variety will reward you with much needed nutrients.

Variety    Best Bean for    Amount in 1/2 cup      RDA

Pinto                 Selenium           9.3meg                        55 mcg

Kidney               Fiber                  8.2g                            24g-30g

White                 Iron                   3.9mg                          18 mg
                          Potassium        595mg                         4,700mg

Black                  Magnesium        60mg                         320mg-women
                                                                                      420-men

Chickpeas          Folate                141mcg                      400 mcg

Black-eyed Peas  Calcium            106 mg                      1,000mcg

This may not come across lined up correctly but will give you some idea of the importance of beans in the diet.  Something I would never have thought about before LDL.  I'm not a bean fan but am learning to like them.  I have... or had ...IBD and am plagued by the gas they cause.  But I think as someone else mentioned on the boards that the body does learn to tolerate them as time goes on.  I am astounded to find that LDL has seemed to relieve the IBD symptoms.  That in itself has seemed like a miracle!!!

Hooray for the Bean............

Jan
Queenie
Administrator

Re: Superstar beans

Post by Queenie »

Jan,

I think you've just become the Bean Queen's FIRST Lady in Waiting!!  Niki is going to go nuts... errrr...beans when she sees that!

Carolyn
Last edited by Queenie on September 10th, 2006, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki

Post by niki »

hi jan.......how sweet to sing the praises of the humble little bean......great list of the different benefits of different beans....it bears out the advise i give when i suggest to people that they mix the various beans to improve the quality of the nutrients.....look for my post on the discussion board called "beans..they're what's for lunch AND dinner"......
    i can't say enough about beans....and THAT'S why they call me.........the bean queen(aka..niki)   
maggiemae

Post by maggiemae »

Niki (aka bean queen) got me hooked on beans and I'm so, so, so glad she did!  Although my 'system' isn't used to them, I'm REALLY hoping that over time that goes away. 

Maggie

(Carolyn, you crack me up!)    :D
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

About two weeks into LDL, I started to purchase beans by the flat (COSTCO or Smart and Final) and I still, on occasion, run out! Most of them end up in the chilli's and soups or with our protein lunches. However there is a third possability...................the become angelialated. Angelicalated is not a word you will find in a dictionary, it refers to the sudden disappearance of an article left out on the day Angelica (our cleaning lady) comes to do her thing.

Now in the past Angelica has managed to place some rather large objects (my guitar, large boxes, thick king sized bed spreads) in some rather interesting places. So the fact that I have not as yet been able to locate a case of corn and a case of beans is not unusual in this house.

Everything angelicalated is eventually found, usually in the same room. "Everything in it's place and a place for everything". Once an article has gone missing, it is usually a simple matter of looking in HER place as opposed to MY place to locate it. Case in point: our good friend's Tobin and Jana (who, by the way will be starting LDL soon) were rearranging their furniture for a party (they also use Angelica's services). The next day, Angelica shows up to do her thing. When they got home that evening, all the furniture was put back! Angelicalated!

Well I haven't given up on the missing beans, I'm sure it will turn up. My guess is she opened up the cases and scattered them around the kitchen, probably in the pot cabinet or appliance draw, you never know!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
niki

Post by niki »

hey,you have to admit she put your kitchen back together after your smoothie mishap.............niki
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Yes, she did............but remind me sometime to tell you about the varnish story.

Joe
niki

Post by niki »

PLEASE,don't anyone ask him about the varnish story.......................niki
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

It wasn't something I did, besides it has a happy ending.

Joe
niki

Post by niki »

i don't know......technically,the smoothie misadventure had a happy ending..........niki
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Happy for the ants?

Joe
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

Aw heck, I wanna know about the varnish story.  Inquring minds ya know??
niki

Post by niki »

no, happy ending because your kitchen recovered and delia is still speaking to you(even THOUGH she still doesn't think you're funny)............
  AND due to the interest you have now kindled in the varnish story,we respectfully request you to share your adventure with your readers............niki 
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

O.K., but first we have to clear up a few things:

(1) The happy ending I was talking about was in reference to the varnish story.

(2) Why wouldn't Delia be speaking to me......it's MY kitchen!

(3) If you haven't figured it out by now, I am a storyteller, it's what I do. There is a certain amount of lying involved.

The Varnish Story:

One night Delia asked me to get some varnish for her from out of the garage so she could work on a couple of rocking chairs she we just purchased for the Health Lodge at the Boy Scout camp. Being the obedient husband slave that I am, I obeyed (the secret of life after all is "Keep the Women happy")

We put the can aside and went to bed.

The next day (Angelica's cleaning day) I returned home from work and as I stepped into the house I could not help notice that my foot was now glued to the floor and that the entire house was rank with varnish.

Dear, sweet Angelica had out of the goodness of her heart decided to surprise us and "wax" the living room floor.............she also "waxed" the Persian rug to the floor as well as the furniture.

Untying my shoe so I could free my foot. My first thought was that she had done this without wearing any protection and was at this moment laying on a gurney outside some hallway in an ER in South Central L.A.

As it turned out, nothing like that happened and we were about to have the hardwood floors redone anyway.

Joe
niki

Post by niki »

you're a good sport,joe......a lot of people would have flipped out over something like that....it's actually great material for a sitcom(actually,i think it's been done,because it sounds so familiar)...
   why wouldn't delia be speaking to you?....i refer to your turning your white kitchen orange.....niki

Last edited by niki on September 11th, 2006, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNangela

Post by TNangela »

I love Angelica..
ANG
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

niki wrote:   why wouldn't delia be speaking to you?....i refer to your turning your white kitchen orange.....niki

.........because it's MY kitchen..............I clean it.

Joe
niki

Post by niki »

i'm sorry,joe...i guess i'm in that other frame of mind that men don't clean up after themselves...but you guys that i've met here are definitely in a class of your own...niki