What soup have you made lately?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
nyKath

What soup have you made lately?

Post by nyKath »

I made the cauliflower one last week and the pizza soup is sitting here right now to be ready for the next several days. It really is wonderful for those who haven't tried it yet! Mmm, mmm, good! :) .....NYKath
Gregg

Re: What soup have you made lately?

Post by Gregg »

My wife just informed me that she made a huge pot of Black Bean soup for the weekend. Boy oh boy that is good eatin.
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I have a big pot of Pizza Soup in my fridge - last week I ate Niki's Favorite Bean Soup - I can't remember any further back than that!!  LOL!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki

Post by niki »

ahah..you made my favorite bean soup...i love hearing that.....i made a huge pot of lentil soup and ate all week...then in between making soup,i took some black bean chilli out of the freezer and ate that for a couple of days.....yesterday i made chicken cacciatore with skinless chicken breasts and added chick peas(along with ground sea salt and black pepper,crushed red pepper,oregano) that i had soaked the night before and simmered it....then when i just heated it up to eat it,i poured some peas on top...came out GREAT.....i have leftover chick peas(i soaked and cooked a pound)so maybe later(or tomorrow) i'll make some israeli chick pea soup with garlic instead of onion and basil instead of parsley)...this is just so great....to eat so well,have NO cravings AND be thin........hallelujah..........niki
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Just got back from the Italian store with three different kinds (northern, cannelloni and white) of dried beans and a can of brown beans for lunch today. The bean pot is gonna be singing this weekend!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I just got off the phone with Mrs. Gregg to find out if we were fine dining together or if she was tied up with driving all the kids around tonight. She is doing both. I thanked her for making the Black Bean soup and she told me she already had two bowls! She said this batch was better than the first. Tonight is Soup and a Movie. Woo hoo!
niki

Post by niki »

now that's what i'm talkin about..........niki
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

NYKath;

Howdy girl!
Well, you know what? I haven't tried ANY of the soups yet. But your question has motivated me to try one tomorrow. (My only day off.) I'll get back with you on which one I pick...

Love,
NJ
niki

Post by niki »

nj.......are you saying that YOU DON'T EAT BEANS?...or that you just haven't made any of the bean soups on the recipe board.........................niki(aka..the bean queen)
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

No fear Sweet Niki; smooth down your ruffled feathers!
I LOVE beans. I just haven't done anything "soup-y" with them yet.
:P
NJ
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

No soup??? Enjae...how could you?!!! Brown up some onions, put about 5-6 cups of water or broth in the pan, and then start dumping in whatever beans and accessory veggies you  have on hand..... Voila! Soup!!! Or if you'd rather follow a recipe, just pick one or two here and go for it. They've all been wonderful! I make sure I have the ingredients for the next batch about 2 bowls from the bottom of the pot I'm currently finishing. Never want to run out of my lunch fuel if I can help it! Two bowls at lunch time last me until just short of dinner. A miracle in my book! Enjoy.... :)   NYKath
niki

Post by niki »

hey nj.........HOW did you know my feather's were ruffled?(haha).....
  but really,it somehow makes a difference when they're in soup....i almost wondered wether it was the tomatoes that i was addicted to..i would eat beans cold in a salad...or eat soybeans in a stir fry with tamari sauce..and i would still have a craving for bean soup(although the israeli chickpea soup has no tomato sauce and that satisfies the craving for soup)...i buy crushed tomatoes by the case now...one case in the house means my supply is low and it needs to be replenished
  one of the easiest soups i make is the greek bean soup that i posted using canned cannelini beans...and if you have trouble digesting beans,the lentil soup is very easy on your digestive tract.......
  i'm waiting to hear that you are experimenting making soups with beans.....................the bean queen 
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

So SOORRRY!

Nah, it's just that when I actually cook something, my foster-father might eat some too and
'Boloney-Sandwich-Boy' Don't Do SOUP!  ::)
He thinks DingDongs and a Big Red is "the Breakfast of Champions". Ha!

So I have found it easier so far to just have good, filling, spicy foods in the fridge that we can both heat and eat. He loves my chili, my spaghetti (made with those so called "worm-looking" noodles), my hamburger patties made with lean ground chicken and bison, and my steak with grilled vegetables. He loves beans and corn; and salad. He likes fruit.

But he's still stuck on bread, chips and tortillas, and Bacos with crushed crackers on his salads. He really likes Hamburger Helper and fries. But I don't make that for him anymore...

Anyway, it just hasn't crossed my mind to make any meals JUST for me. But I will tomorrow.
Last edited by EnJae on November 8th, 2006, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki

Post by niki »

hi nj....once you start making soups,you'll get into a routine...you'll make soup that'll last you a few days....it'll be so ingrained on you that you'll just take the pot out of the cabinet before you even realize it's time to make more soup.....if i HAD to name one thing on this program that helped me more than any other,i would have to say it was BEANS...NOW is there ANYONE who is surprised at my answer?........niki     
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

"WHAAA?"
You like BEANS? I never wudda thunk it....
Just kidding Bean Queen.

"Beans and fruits, beans and fruits;
the more you eat, the weight, you 'loose';
the more you lose the better you feel!
Eat beans or fruits at every meal!"
niki

Post by niki »

well done.........niki
imkay

Post by imkay »

well of course you remember my surprise at the goodness of mary's mexican soup with red lentils, so i made a double batch yesterday.  and i found what looks like a great recipe for pumpkin soup made in the crockpot with apple and onions.  i'm going to try that today.  will post if it's good.

gotta love soup weather!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hey Imkay! Sometimes squash and pumpkin soups can come out tasting extremely sweet, especially with fruits and onions in them. Don't be afraid to cut the sweetness with additional fresh ground pepper, sage, dill, or even just putting some cider or balsalmic vinegar splashed right into your bowl when you serve it. Mmmmm...so tasty! Enjoy....NYKath
imkay

Post by imkay »

i love the sweetness and can't wait to try it.  it is making the house smell great!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice