Don’t we need another compadre?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
tcasola
Administrator

Don’t we need another compadre?

Post by tcasola »

On Saturday – a very close friend of mine (I consider him a brother) called me outta the blue to catch up. Within the conversation, I was more then eager to mention Let’s Do Lunch. My friend, who is also Battle of the Bulge solider, was intrigued and asked me over to explain in detail about the diet.

I went over on Sunday, and my friend and I spoke and shared. He explained that his desire to loose weight is not only for health reasons, but mostly for his (9 year-old) son. His biggest fear is that he may not have too much time with his son if he does not change his lifestyle.

After he spoke, I did close to a 30 minute sermon detailing my last two year downward spiral, the Devine intervention that lead me to LDL, the wonderful results, and the exceptional LDL community who have inspired and helped. I gave him a hard-copy brief synopsis concerning LDL, and I left him a copy of Roger’s book. I explained I wanted no repayment for the book, because it’s a book of love – but he needed to promise he will pass along the book to someone else when the time comes. I told him the diet takes little to no effort. I told him, while it is not necessary. he should devote at least 30 minutes a day to the message board.

My friend seemed interested, but I could also see apprehension in his eyes. According his wife, my friend is not a fruit, vegetable and bean person, and my friend loves his pasta and bread. I explained I was the same exact way. However, since doing LDL my life has changed in many ways – especially the added energy and positive attitude.

I can’t express how heavy my heart is because I want my friend .. brother .. to benefit from LDL, and know the joy this will bring him. I am afraid he may not try it. I know you all have a lot going on in your lives, however if you spare an extra prayer to help bring my friend .. brother to LDL it would be greatly appreciated. I am asking you not for me, but for him and (especially) for his son.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
nyKath

Re: Don’t we need another compadre?

Post by nyKath »

Tom, you don't think that the good results you've experienced so far are enough to make your friend (brother) join us here? Wasn't he impressed by the new contours of your face and your smaller belly? .....Prayers going up that he finally sees the light for himself and for his son so they have a long healthier future together. :)  NYKath
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Tom,

You planted some seeds, maybe they will need time to grow. Prayers help. I am sure as he sees you making strides it will give him the courage to take a step in the right direction.

God Bless,

Gregg
imkay

Post by imkay »

done and will continue
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Tom, I also hope your brother at least gives it a try.  You've given him the tools, and hopefully he'll make the decision to join us.  Please tell him that we are very friendly (I'm sure you already did) and we're happy to add support.

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki

Post by niki »

hi tom..that's the kind of response i got from most of the people at work...i passed the book around to a number of them...but they didn't want to do without those unhealthy carbs......they just don't get that once you stop eating that stuff,YOU DON'T WANT IT......
  now that i'm looking at everything in a little different light,i wonder why i didn't feel that way....i LOVED all that stuff....but i think i was at the point that i was tired of it controlling me and let's do lunch was THERE at just the right time...........thank you Lord...........niki
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Tom,

I will agree with you in prayer that your brother has his heart opened to what he needs to do, just as his eyes have already been opened.  I feel that the best thing we can do for those we love, is to keep loving them. 

Are you guys close enough that he and his wife could come over for dinner?  Perhaps a weekend lunch?  I'm thinking LDL menu...... perhaps what he needs is an example of a carb rich LDL meal that would fill him?  I hope this helps.  God will definately give you the right words and actions if you ask Him.  In the meantime, you are in our prayers, as is your brother.

(In Faith)  Little Princess
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by joecaracappa »

Tom:

The best thing any of us can do is lead by example. As our body changes are noticed by our peers and they witness our large lunches and endless snacking, hopefully they will sit down and say something like "run this diet thing by me again will ya?"

By the way I had to get an new ID card for the LAPD (reserves) this week, when I put it up against my real job badge...........it was scary....in a good way that is.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
niki

Post by niki »

that's great,joe...but at my job,everyone sees me thinner....i rarely work a day that a handful of people at work don't comment about how thin i've gotten....i lent the book to a number of people....noone has tried it yet...they can't get past giving up the fattening carbs...and they just don't understand that when they stop eating that stuff,they don't want it......
  i guess everyone has to come to that point that they're ready............meanwhile,we're so happy on it,eating until we're full while we watch ourselves shrink,we want to shake people and say "wake up...this is good"....it makes me think about how i was before i knew the Lord.....once i knew the Lord,i couldn't understand how anyone wouldn't embrace Him once they knew the good news of salvation.....and yet i waited so many years myself because i wasn't ready(or for whatever reasons).....everyone has their own timepiece........................niki
Last edited by niki on October 6th, 2006, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Thanks to you all for your prayers and wisdom !! You all had valid points and/or suggestions.

Some good news. I got a call from my brother last-night. He said he read the book, and is ready to give it a try. He is going out to buy the "allowable" foods today, and will start on Monday. He's still apprehensive about not being able to eat his macaroni* on Sunday, but he is still willing to try it. I know if he gives LDL a real chance, he will succeed.

Joe – great to hear about the “scary” situation. It must feel great to actually see successful results.  Congrats !!

* by the way – to an Italian, any type of pasta is macaroni

UPDATE: At 9:30 (et) my brother called me at work because he had some questions concerning what products to purchase.  I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this !! Praise the Lord !!
Last edited by tcasola on October 7th, 2006, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!! Another sibling to eventually torture! (for the rest of us that is!) Seriously though, I'm really happy for you and your brother! veronica
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Tom,
That is fantastic news!  ;D  Thank you for sharing with us! 

(In Faith)  Little Princess
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Mike »

Tom, great job!  Our Father and Roger are the heros, but you also deserve the credit for bringing LDL to your brother, and he deserves the credit for accepting the opportunity.  He is on his way to a longer, and much healthier life with his family because of your concern for him.  You really don't realize what an inspiration you are until you have an experience like you have right now.  You ARE an inspiration and your brother will thank you in due time.  Here's hoping your brother enjoys LDL as much as the rest of us.  Keep up the good work... Mike
niki

Post by niki »

hi tom...that's great...i just read about your friend coming around......as long as he gives it even 3 days,the absence of cravings'll kick in and he'll start to feel great....thanks for sharing the good news............niki
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Another sibling to eventually torture! (for the rest of us that is!)

.. you know how some folks have mentors? When it come to my brother … Well, everyone (even him) says I’m his tormentor.
Tom

EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Tom;
You just be the best TOR-Mentor this guy ever had! He'll thank you for it!

I wouldn't say that to everyone. If my mother had discovered LDL and had tried to push me toward it I would have dug in my heels! But my sweet Mom is gone. And Abba led me here. Some folks need to be quiet and lead by example and some folks need to hit their loved ones over the head with the book.

My God-given gut instinct tells me you and your chosen-brother have the 2nd type of relationship.

I am praying for him.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

tcasola wrote:Thanks to you all for your prayers and wisdom !! You all had valid points and/or suggestions.

* by the way – to an Italian, any type of pasta is macaroni

In our house, it was the opposite. Anthing long and thin was called by it's proper name (spaghetti, linguine), everything else was macaroni, but is was ALL pasta.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.