Orville R. Popcorn

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
HarleyGrandma

Orville R. Popcorn

Post by HarleyGrandma »

Ok,  did my shopping, starting LDL tomorrow, actually I am starting with dinner tonight.  Took a list to the store yesterday and decided on picking up some popcorn for emergency use only.    I picked up a box of Orville R's smart pop, but they only had butter 94% fat free flavor or kettle korn. Bought the 3 pack of the butter and today stopped at another store to see if there was a plain.. again, the only choices were butter and kettle korn..  So did I buy the wrong one? 
Really excited about this program.  Probably will be asking questions along the way..
Thanks,
Sandy
imkay

Re: Orville R. Popcorn

Post by imkay »

you got the right kind.  i would stay away from the kettle korn unless it's the kind made with splenda.  just check your ingredients.
good luck and keep us posted!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I have a friend that sprinkles splenda (packets) over her regular popcorn & swears it tastes just like kettle corn.  I prefer regular so I don't do this, but I suppose it's an option...

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
HarleyGrandma

Post by HarleyGrandma »

Thank you for answering me!!  whew  glad I got the right kind.. was hoping I wouldn't have to search too high and low for my list.  The reason I asked was, Roger said he sprayed the popcorn win Pam Olive oil.. and if it is already butter flavored, why adding the Olive oil?
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

HarleyGrandma;

I agree; you bought the right one.
Now, look at the ingredients on the box and see WHY it is ok.
See, although it tastes like buttered popcorn, it actually has no butter in it! Apparently olive oil tastes like butter on popcorn. I really like it. When I don't have time to pop my corn on the range top, I grab a bag of the "O R Smart Pop"tm and nuke it!

NJ

Your above reply occured while I was posting this so I am modifying my answer...

Roger's household now has a popper (I think it is a hot air popper, I don't remember right now.) He sprays olive oil on the popcorn made at home, not on microwave popcorn.
Last edited by EnJae on November 8th, 2006, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki

Post by niki »

hi...he's talking about the hot air popper popcorn that doesn't have anything on it.....and now,a lot of us have mistos(or comparable sprayers)that spray olive oil lightly on the popcorn...try that...that's what i use...and once i spray with that,the sea salt i grind onto it really adheres to the popcorn..of course,like NJ says,sometimes you don't have time for that,so having a microwavable bag does the trick... niki
Last edited by niki on October 10th, 2006, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Hi niki!
We're on at the same time!
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Try your hand at poping kernels in some olive oil................good stuff.
Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

And if using air popper or stove, try mixing a little cinnamon with splenda and sprinkling on. YUM
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

sounds yummy mom...when did you say you wanted me to come over for popcorn and a fire in the firepit????
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

In another post a few weeks ago someone mentioned having a Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper. I went on line and bought myself one, and I have to say it's is great.

I use the cheapest popcorn, and every kernel popped. And it only takes 3 minutes.

After reading this thread, last night I added some Stevia and cinnamon to the kernels, and after they popped it was the best popcorn I ever had. Even my 10 year old nephew was raving how great the popcorn tasted. He ate a whole bowl himself.

The Whirley-Pop, and your suggestions, are gonna make movie night that more enjoyable !!
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
HarleyGrandma

Post by HarleyGrandma »

First day was great, on to 2nd day on LDL..
thank you for the help with the popcorn... I don't usually eat popcorn. Husband doesn't like the smell of it popping!!
Want it on hand for emergency use..  he he he
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Tom,

I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond last night and had one of the Whirley-Pop thingys in my hand (with a 20% coupon)... then we saw a couple of end tables, so I put the Whirley-Pop back and used the coupon for the tables.  I WILL go back and get the popcorn popper (maybe on payday) - and use another coupon for that!

Carolyn

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Grammasuz wrote:And if using air popper or stove, try mixing a little cinnamon with splenda and sprinkling on. YUM

We tried that last night, Delia loved it!................which is a sure sign that we will be eating it every night.

Joe
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

Does the Whirly Popper us a little oil?  This has been my favorite way to have popcorn but I have abstained out of fear of popping popcorn in oil
If you are making popcorn on the stovetop you can thinly slice a jalapeno, (leave in amount of seeds according to how hot you want it).  Cook the pepper slices in a little oil till they are crispy and dark.
Remove the peppers then pop your popcorn in that oil and it will have the hot pepper flavor. 
Is it still possible to enjoy this with a spritz of olive oil?
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

The Whirly Popper states to use 2 tablespoons of oil.

Of course I use EVOO (extra virgin olive oil for you non Rachel Ray fans), and it works perfectly.

As for what and what not to use, I'd say use (experiment) with anything you'd like -- as long as it's LDL approved.

If it's good, pass it along (I like spicy food, and at times I have used Tabasco hot sauce as a topping)
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
imkay

Post by imkay »

LOVE the idea about the jalapenos!! can't wait to try that!
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Yes, Lynne, You can pop in oil - olive oil... and the jalapeno pepper cooked first in the oil!!!!!  Oh, I KNOW John will love that - and me too! 

We LOVE spicy food & grew both jalapeno and tabasco peppers this year.  By the way, tabasco peppers produce like zucchini does - we planted ONE plant and have about a gabillion peppers... started giving bags of them away!

Oops - I see that while I was typing this, two other people responded - Hi, Tom and Kay!!

imkay

Post by imkay »

OH SEND ME SOME!!!!

we love  it hot here!!

moe hotter moe better we always say!
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Lynne wrote: If you are making popcorn on the stovetop you can thinly slice a jalapeno, (leave in amount of seeds according to how hot you want it).  Cook the pepper slices in a little oil till they are crispy and dark.
Remove the peppers then pop your popcorn in that oil and it will have the hot pepper flavor. 

I'm going to try doing this with garlic.

Joe