HOW TO START "LET'S DO LUNCH"

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Queenie
Administrator

Re: HOW TO START "LET'S DO LUNCH"

Post by Queenie »

Bringing this up to the top.  Maybe we should lock it up here?

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Bringing this up to the top.  Maybe we should lock it up here?

Trying to honor your suggestion.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
Tori

Post by Tori »

If you don't have the book yet, here are a few great guidelines, as outlined by our wonderful brother, Tom:

Basically the big NO NO’s are:
Breads, grains, nuts, seeds, starches (this includes: breaded foods, dextrose, gluten, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc.), sugar

What you are permitted:
Beans: Great source of protein (especially eaten in conjunction with corn - makes a complete protein)

Fruit (either alone or as a smoothie)

Meats: meats, chicken (skin removed), fish – should be eaten only at lunch, however there are exceptions.

Vegetables

You need to eat as often as you can and as much as you want UNTIL YOU ARE FULL (not STUFFED).

Your meals should consist of the following:

Breakfast and Supper: should consist of only beans, fruits and vegetables (there are exceptions). .

Lunch: is where you eat your (lean) meat protein, along with your beans/fruits/vegetables (there are exceptions).

DO NOT SNACK IN BETWEEN MEALS. However, if you find yourself hungry (during the day or night time), then eat fresh fruit, allowed vegetables, popcorn. Remember, in the beginning it's important to eat as often as you can and as much as you want UNTIL YOU ARE FULL .

Remember, just because a food or drink is "fat-free & sugar-free" or "low-calorie" does not necessarily mean non-fattening. Lots of low-calorie foods have very fattening ingredients in them; likewise, lots of sugar-free foods have very fattening ingredients in them, and lots of fat-free foods have regular sugar in them (very fattening).  Always remember that it's not "calories in, calories out", but it's "ingredients in, ingredients out".

As Roger Troy has said many time: You need to eat as often as you can and as much as you want of all the non-fattening starchy carb recipes. Seems the body can't tell the difference between a non-fattening starchy carbs and a fattening starchy carbs . When you eat the non-fattening starchy carbs you eliminate your cravings for the fattening starchy carbs.

He also states: You also need to eat as often as you can and as much as you want of all the sweetest fresh fruits (or fruit smoothies) until your body just doesn't crave the sweets anymore. Once again the body can't tell the difference between fruit and/or regular sugar, so when you eat the fruit sugars it eliminates your cravings for the regular sugar foods.

You'll see - once you start eating as much as you want, when you want, you’ll soon find you’ll be too full for cravings. And after awhile, your body will start to crave the suitable (substitute) foodies.
aemalone
New, but learning

Post by aemalone »

Ok so you eat as often as you want until full,  so after breakfast I get hungry before lunch , I can eat all the approved fruit, veggies and popcorn I want  ? Is this just when you start on LDL ? or does that continue throughout as this is ment to be a Life Style.  Can't wait for my book tp arrive, my wife Jean is craving reading the book so sorry if these questions  are reduindent for you veteran LDLers out there.  :)
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Yes !!

Now to clarify my answer:

It is very important (especially in the beginning) to eat (approved foods) anytime you feel hungry.

For some, their hunger diminishes over time. For others, they still have craving through-out the day. Either way, eat when you are hungry.

Personally, 9 times out of 10 I have no hungry pangs between meals. But when it's that 10th time, I am glad I am permitted to eat as much as you want UNTIL YOU ARE FULL
Tom

aemalone
New, but learning

Post by aemalone »

Thanks Tom , I have always ate 6 small meals a day well not always but the last 5 years, I can see were this will be great once I learn all the in and out of it
Thanks agaiin
Tony (new but learning everyday)
aemalone
New, but learning

Post by aemalone »

Another question how much water does everyone drink while doing LDL ? I drink at least  gallon a day (no kidding)  I do have one decaffe coffee every morning, but really do not drink any other beaverges.

Tony
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Tony,

Once you get the book - concepts will become more clear. Take my advice, and read the book a few times - especially in the first few weeks (month). I found something new in each read. To this day, I get a new "clearer meaning" to certain concepts.

Also, don't hesitate to ask questions either here, or email me personally. I am no expert, but I will try my darnedest to answer your question. And if I don't know it, I will either research it or suggest someone who would know.

As for water .. I LOVE WATER .... I too drink 1 - 2 gallons a day.

I have always ate 6 small meals a day

Do you work out? The only reason I am asking is because most body-builders and/or weight-lifters each this way.
Last edited by tcasola on January 13th, 2007, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

aemalone
New, but learning

Post by aemalone »

Yes I work out  3 days a week I do a High Intensity Training cardio ( it only takes 20 min)  and  3 days a week I lift weights  alternating upper body and lower body on the days I do not do the cardio, Sundays are no workout days. Been doing this for about 5 years now, I am trying to incorporate the LDL into my program,  from I see it offers more food options than my current program. The past week we ate exclusively LDL or as best we could from what we  have learned here and honestly do not remember last time I ate this much and still lost 5.5lbs  :)

Tony
imkay

Post by imkay »

i too drink a ton of water.  i just love it!  i don't drink anything else.  even coffee. 
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

WATER!!! YUCK! For me it's Ice tea all day...minimum 2 32oz glasses...some days 1-2 gallons
beetlebug

Post by beetlebug »

Thanks!
I printed off the Guidelines below.....Does anyone have a list of approved foods?  and can anyone give me some examples of non fattening starchy carbs? I hope I am not being to curious but I am ready to get started and want to understand better.. 

On the food label, what should I be watching for?  Carbs? fat grams? Protien grams?  calories?  If any of those, what are the ranges we should stay in?

This is going to drive me nuts until I can read the book!!

Thanks for the help!

(by the way, I'm beetlebug because I have a 1972 Red VW Beetle!!! fun!)
graceface66
Master Member

Post by graceface66 »

Hi Beetlebug,
        Good starchy carbs are corn, popcorn, peas , beans. Look for sugar on the lable. We avoid sugar in all its many forms,sugar ,honey, mollasses, sucralose, cane sugar, fructose,high fructose corn syrup, etc.try to avoid processed foods.
                Hope this helps
                      glad to meet ya!
                        Kris
If thou shalt confess with your mouth the L-rd Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that G-d hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Roman's 10:9-10
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

May I make one correction, Kris?
Some folks do eat sucralose, which is Splenda; sucrose is what we avoid.
4luvd1s

Post by 4luvd1s »

I have a question about sweeteners.  For some time now, I have been concerned about artificial sweeteners, and have been experimenting with other types.  How about Zylitol, and fructose?  (as well as Stevia).  I know that at least Zylitol doesn't affect your blood sugar like some of the others.
Jamie
lifegoeson24n7

Post by lifegoeson24n7 »

Hi everyone,

I am new to LDL.  I did South Beach about 18 months ago and lost about 40 lbs, then took a year hiatus and gained 10 lbs back.  I like LDL because of the fruits, I missed them on SB.  I have done well for this week, but would like to know some pointers for the weekend.  I have a hard time sticking to plans when the kitchen cupboard is only steps away.  I cannot purge my kitchen, because my teenagers and husband refuse to even try LDL eating.  I made the meatloaf and beef stew for lunches this week and begged my family to try them.  They would NOT!  I think I have done OK following the guidelines, should probably add more beans (I made a batch of the 3 Bean salad thinking I would eat that during lunch this week, but did not like it, so ate vegetable soup as my side dish for lunches this week.  I know my meals are repetitive, but I won't waste food, so if I make an entire meatloaf and a big pot of beef stew I will eat those 2 things for the entire week.  I will try 2 new main dishes next week.
If you fall off the horse, climb right back on!