TO ALL MEMBERS, PLEASE READ

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Re: TO ALL MEMBERS, PLEASE READ

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I called the drug store this morning and found out anyone taking Tegratol should not eat grapefruit.  Also, I was told anyone taking beta blockers for high blood pressure should check to see if eating grapefruit is ok.  I take  Labetalol and I was told that grapefruit will affect the dosage on this medication.
teab39
New, but learning

Post by teab39 »

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE FROM CHILLY - SUNNY ST. LOUIE MO :music:

Thyroid,

I read your signature: [b]Don't ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

and it put such conviction in my heart that I had to go to the Lord in prayer and ask Him for wisdom about this area in my life, Thanks so much!

Doesnt that go to show you, how such a small action, like this, you NEVER kno how you touch someone else's life - I think thats why God has us PROTECT our testamony so much - we are walking - talking - living examples of Christ! :blush:

Thanks again!
Have a great day!
edith
PS : I rec'd the book yesterday - EXACTLY 2 weeks from the day I ordered! Thanks you Roger for signing it!! WHOOP - WHOOP!!!
*woot*[/b]
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

Several months ago (before LDL) DH was wanting some sausage but did not want pork. He remembered having a bad of sausage spices back when we had raised pigs but never used it. Found it and low and behold it was full of MSG sp we threw it out and I did a web search for a recipe for sausage seasoning. I added it to lean hamburger meat and it was really good. I found it on the lets-make-sausage.com web site. You could certainly substitute ground chicken/sirloin for the straight-up ground beef.

Sausage Recipe
• 4 lbs 85% lean ground beef
• 4 teaspoons kosher salt
• 4 teaspoons ground or rubbed sage
• 2 teaspoons fine ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons ground dry thyme
• 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

1.  Put your ground beef into a large mixing bowl and add all the spices.
2.  Use your hands to very thoroughly mix the meat and spices together. Mix for at least three minutes, making sure all the spice mixture is incorporated.
3.  Form a small patty and quickly fry it to check the flavor. If need be, now is the time to adjust spices to suit your own taste.
4.  Let the sausage rest for 2 hours in the refrigerator, then form it into patties or package it in bulk.
5.  You can certainly use this sausage immediately, but the flavors will be enhanced if it is given a chance to rest.

When I know my pork-deprived family members will be visiting, I make a large batch of this breakfast recipe beef sausage, form it all into individual patties, and freeze them between layers of wax paper.
Then I can just peel out as many patties as I need at the time and put them directly into the frying pan. There's no need to thaw them first, as long as you keep the patties reasonably thin when you first form them.

This is a simple, elegant, and tasty beef sausage recipe and your family is sure to give you compliments when you serve it but...
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

Taste and see that the Lord is good...
wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

thank you Linda RN
I tried to figure out the other day what to put in turkey burger to make sausage.  It was ok but definately missing something.  This will make it complete.  I couldn't find the seasoning here at any store and now I am glad I didn't since it could have msg in it also.  I was told yesterday that beef buillion has msg also so I am trying to stay away from that.  I love sausage and I knew that is one thing I would miss alot if I could not have it.  So, problem solved, thanks
teab39
New, but learning

Post by teab39 »

[size=100][font=Verdana]Good Morning Roger!  :happy:

I used to make a recipe that I copied from Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meal cooking show called, "Apple Maple Chicken Sausage".

same ingredients used here, rather than the sausage seasoning, she used :

1 T grill seasoning, 2 t poultry seasoning, 1/2 t cinnamon and 1/4 t nutmeg; plus other ingredients that are not used on LDL.

[color=purple]However, by combining the 2 recipes following the LDL guidelines I was VERY happy with the results. You are right it tastes BETTER than the [i]real[i] sausage.  :drool:

Thank you so much for the [color=blue]POSITIVE
changes you have brot about in my life with this new WOE! I count you in my prayers!  :D

edith[/color]
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

There are alternatives to bouillion. I found Better than Bouillion at the Health Food Store. I think I found something similar at Wal-Mart. Just have to read labels. The general market is getting the idea that more people are reading lables and I have found healthier alternatives to the old standbys even at Wal-Mart. I have used bouillion to enhance my chicken and cornbread dressing and chicken and dumplings, my DH's comfort food. We now use these only on special occasions. They are no longer a monthly staple.

I have also been going through the posts, whew there is alot of reading there. I read about the cautions of the canned soups and broth having MSG. More than a year or so ago I found fat free beef and chicken stock without MSG at Wal-Mart. They had a Rachel Ray brand that was very tasty and actually the Great Value Generic brand was also without MSG. Last time I checked, the Rachel Ray Brand was gone and one of the GV brand had MSG back in it. But I noticed the Swanson brand is now MSG free. I buy the broth in the cardboard cartons and not the cans. Those were the ones I found to be free of MSG.

I have spent alot of time reading labels as the Lord lead me to this healthier WOE. But now I do less label reading, After all, broccoli, apples, etc do not have a label with a long list of ingredients,  :thumbsup: Whole foods are always best, but until you can wean yourself off the foods that got you here, read labels.
Linda
"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed. Joel 2:26

wendysgoodnews
Master Member

Post by wendysgoodnews »

I have just started looking at labels.  Before it didn't much matter what was in it if I liked it I ate it.  Does it say MSG right on the label or is it hidden under a different name?
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Wendy, it's the INGREDIENTS listed on the can that we look at first.  That's most important.  That's where it should list MSG if it's in there.
I'm not sure if it's called another name too.  Anyone?  Could google that question I suppose.
mrsj
LINDA RN
Master Member

Post by LINDA RN »

I have heard that it can be hidden as "other naturals flavors". But with more and more people acturally having more severe reactions to it I think they are supposed to name it in the ingredients as Monosodium Glutamate or MSG.
Linda

Halo
New, but learning

Linda RN

Post by Halo »

I love that prayer!

Jesus Is Lord

Halo
Everyday with Jesus is better than the day before.

Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

LINDA RN wrote:I have heard that it can be hidden as "other naturals flavors". But with more and more people acturally having more severe reactions to it I think they are supposed to name it in the ingredients as Monosodium Glutamate or MSG.

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the people I cannot change,
the courage to change the one I can,
and the wisdom to know it's me."
Linda RN, I too like this version of the Serenity prayer.  Welcome to LDL.

Lynda/El
dinker

Post by dinker »

Is grape seed oil LDL friendly?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVNzKsO/]
Image"Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies."
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

dkneram, I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question as to whether or not grape seed oil is LDL friendly. I only use it to rub my turkey before seasoning and then I don't eat the turkey skin so I don't worry about it being LDL friendly.  EL
RB Kayaking
Master Member

Post by RB Kayaking »

I only use grapeseed oil and I'm still losing it!  I like grapeseed oil over olive oil because it so much lighter and doesn't have that olive oil after taste to me.  The other plus is that you can saute with it without losing all the good things that is is tauted for.

RB Kayaking
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Kay, where do you buy grapeseed oil?  Joyful Friend
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

I've not looked for it in the grocery store as I buy mine from Watkins. Watkins products are available on line if you don't have anyone in your area that sells Watkins products. EL
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

EL, You brought back childhood memories.  Mom bought her flavorings from the Watkin's salseman.  Never knew they were still here.  That shows that they have good products.  Thanks, Joyful Friend