One thing about beans,

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
carbonite

One thing about beans,

Post by carbonite »

eventhough I like them a lot, is that for them to be very palatable to me I have to use a LOT of salt.  I've already gone to the lite salt(50% salt and 50% KCL) but I still think it's too much sodium. 

I've tried many herbs, Mrs Dash, peppers, and the like.  For me, those don't get the job done with beans.  They need salt, and a a lot of it.  Anyone else have this concern with beans?
jerio

Re: One thing about beans,

Post by jerio »

I've tried to cut back on the salt also...one thing that I am doing now is...Im adding beans to everything it seems..the mashed potatoes that are made with butter beans..the broth helps a lot..and now I add refried beans to all of the meat dishes like meatloaf..tacos..burgers...never ate so many beans but I am slowly getting to love them...and this way I don't miss the salt so much..adding onions and other things that are allowed... Annie
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

Shall do.  Hopefully, my wife won't drive me out of the bed.  :-)  I'm one who likes garlic. I'd have my wife eat the beans but she hates them.

marysimmons wrote:Hi Carbonite!  My advice is (unless you're like Gene who doesn't like it,) GARLIC.  Whack that garlic in with those beans!  It's good for you too.  Hope this helps,

Mary
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Mix it up with some tomato sauce and soy cheeses or my pesto beppino.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
niki

Post by niki »

hi carbonite....i make a LOT of homemade bean soups...what i do is add a LOT different spices....cumin,oregano,crushed red pepper and chilli powder..i use freshly ground sea salt which seems saltier with less salt....plus,do you cook the food with salt,or add it when it's already cooked and sitting on your plate(or bowl)?...because you get more mileage from the same amount of salt when it's cooked with it compared to when it's salted right before eating...
  i retain a LOT of fluid so i try to cut down on salt intake by then eating other things without a lot of salt on them...one thing i make without ANY salt is talapia with onions and mushrooms...for some reason,the flavor of the mushrooms and onions make salt unnecessary....so that's how i try to manage this issue............hope this helped....................niki 
carbonite

Post by carbonite »

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try out those mushrooms and onions. 

niki wrote:hi carbonite....i make a LOT of homemade bean soups...what i do is add a LOT different spices....cumin,oregano,crushed red pepper and chilli powder..i use freshly ground sea salt which seems saltier with less salt....plus,do you cook the food with salt,or add it when it's already cooked and sitting on your plate(or bowl)?...because you get more mileage from the same amount of salt when it's cooked with it compared to when it's salted right before eating...
  i retain a LOT of fluid so i try to cut down on salt intake by then eating other things without a lot of salt on them...one thing i make without ANY salt is talapia with onions and mushrooms...for some reason,the flavor of the mushrooms and onions make salt unnecessary....so that's how i try to manage this issue............hope this helped....................niki 
Rhea

Post by Rhea »

I find a squeeze or two of lemon juice helps the beans and lentils taste good without too much salt. Chopped parsley or cilantro on top help, too, if you like them.

Rhea