Hump Day Club Possibility - Please share your comments

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
CJ

Hump Day Club Possibility - Please share your comments

Post by CJ »

I was thinking that joining Weight Watchers might be a good way for me to stay on track but it also has pros and cons. I know a few people who have joined and they are looking great and reaching their goals. It seems the weigh-ins keep them on track and I understand how that could be helpful for someone like me. However, I am not interested because it costs money and I would have to drive a half hour each way just to attend. When I do go to town, I go with my husband and we do our shopping and errands together. It is not economical to make two trips each week just so I can go to a meeting. Another reason I am not willing to make that commitment is that the people on that program seem to eat foods that LDL encourage us to avoid.

My question is this: Why can't a few of us, who are serious about attempting to stay on track, have our own little confidential club? I find the Message Boards a bit overwhelming and prefer smaller groups sharing info and thought this could be a good idea. We could call it our Hump Day Club. I like the name Waist Watchers, but that might cause confusion. Every Wednesday we would report our weight to a leader and that person would track it. Is this something that has been tried? Did it work or fall by the wayside? Are there any suggestions as to how this could be done in a simple, yet effective, way? I was thinking that once a week, members who wanted to share could write a little about themselves, such as what they felt good about during the past week and/or what they felt they want to work on, or a Motivational Moment from an occasional guest speaker. The leader could make comments like, "way to go Betty, Susie and Charlie. They all lost 2 pounds and 7 others stayed the same." But not give actual numbers, unless a member asked for their own record. We could do this by setting up a HumpDay e-mail folder that has all the interested parties e-mail addresses in. If someone has not weighed in for a specific period of time, that address would then be removed.

Anyway, it is just a thought. Comments anyone?
Last edited by CJ on June 27th, 2007, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margo
Master Member

Re: Hump Day Club Possibility - Please share your comments

Post by margo »

Hi Carla...

i drove past the place where i used to attend WW and i thought to myself that i was so happy that i didn't have to schedule time to attend meetings and also that WW allows and encourages the types of foods that we don't have on LDL...the types of foods that cause me to begin an eating binge.  I am so glad that i found LDL and don't think i would ever go back to WW with all it's point counting and weighing, etc. 

Also, i remember one day at a meeting when we were talking about getting exercise i stated that we should be so happy that God gave everyone at that meeting the wherewithall to get up and walk and that there are many people who would be happy to be able to get out of a wheelchair and walk freely.  When i mentioned God's name people at the meeting looked at me like i had grown three heads.  I much prefer talking here on these boards to people of like mind when it comes to God.  It's such an important thing to me and an important factor to my weight loss when i consider that God sent this wonderful and miraculous eating/living plan and i am so blessed to have found it.

I am so interested, Carla, to know what it is that is giving you a difficult time staying on track with LDL?  What are the particular problems you are having with it.  I have only been on LDL for about  6 weeks or so and i have not yet had any problem staying strictly on LDL.  Will you please share with us exactly what difficulties or temptations you are having?  You look wonderful in the photograph (i wish i could figure out how to get my photograph up without opening up a myspace account).  You must have met your goal weight, i think. 

Thanks and God Bless!
margo
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Hello Carla,

You have a good idea, and I would be willing to help - however ...(and you knew there would be a HOWEVER in there) the one thing that may scare some of us away is WEIGHING ourselves. Many of us (myself included) hate traditional scales.

Personally, a scale is my worst enemy. If I notice I lost weight, I fall into that "see how good I am doing so a little cheat won't hurt" mode - or worst, if I GAIN weight, I the fall into that "no matter what I do, I'll always be a slob" mindset - and cheat. So that’s why I stay away – plus I am so overweight, a normal scale (even a doctor’s one) can’t weigh me.

Many of us use different "scales” to monitor our success: constant hunger reduction (eliminated); reduced clothing size; increase energy; re-familiarizing yourself to body-parts unseen for years (errr… toes) ; “common” activity becoming easier (walking, climbing steps), just feeling good about yourself; sleeping better (reduced snoring); the mirror; lower cholesterol and/or blood pressure; etc.

But I like the concept of an weight loss assistance group – especially for those who are intimidated by the message board, or who are like me and may need that extra help when it becomes rough.

What do others think?
Last edited by tcasola on June 28th, 2007, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Carla,

I would be willing to help you along if you would like.  I don't want to weigh every week as I think that is too often for me.  I usually judge by the fit of my clothes whether I have lost weight.  AS my clothes get bigger...I know that I have lost, whether it is inches or pounds or both, I do not care.

One of the main reasons why I never joined WW was the cost involved.  It was always cost prohibitive for me.  I never had the time to go to the meetings either, so gave up the idea.

Do you know anyone else in your area who is doing LDL that you could meet with and exchange info or local enough to call to encourage each other?  Let's just keep checking this out and perhaps there will be others interested.

Keep on keeping on...on LDL.

Love,

Jeanne
Last edited by Anonymous on June 28th, 2007, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi again Carla...

As you can see i am still a newbie!  But i think that maybe you should just go ahead and have a really thick fruit slushy in the morning.  Make it the night before and put frozen banana in it to make it really thick.  Don't forget to eat your beans!!!  Sometimes on those days when i am really hungry i will have a bowl of nice beans in the morning after my juice...but most of the time, if i make a thick slushy drink, and chop up some strawberries, melon chunks and stuff like that, it does last me until lunch.  Are you eating early enough in the day? 

You are so beautiful Carla...good gracious.....what a face!!  You deserve to have the full physical package...gorgeous face and lovely healthy body....  i was thinking the same about myself this morning...i'm not as pretty las you but i'm no dog and i think i deserve to have the blessing of LDL and to get a healthy, youthful looking and beautiful body again...

If you were tempted by those red candies, then you probably needed to eat some fruit or even some sweet corn, don't you think?

This is a wonderful season to start again.

Thank the Lord that every day when we open our eyes, it is a new fresh day for us and a chance to start again at anything that needs a fresh start!

Please keep us posted about when you have gotten back on LDL and how you're doing.

Your LDL sister....
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

Remember, you don't have to make the fruit into a smoothie, you can eat the fruit as is!  Make yourself a wonderful fruit salad/compote.  You could use either fresh or frozen or a combination of both.  You could even add fruit to a lettuce salad.  MMMM, my mouth watering for mango in a salad.  Used to be able to get that at a local restaurant in the summer.  My problem (or crutch) is that I am alone and I really don't like fixing meals for one person.  So I get into a rut just having the same things over and over again.  I need to find time on a weekend to just cook up LDL friendly dishes and freeze.  But as my daughter will attest to, I am not home a lot even on weekends. I love finding a gospel concert to attend or spending time with friends :)
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi all...

I haven't really gotten into whole fresh fruit yet.  I think that is my next step...to drink a bit less slushy (i don't put milk or ice in it) in the morning and to eat an apple....but for now, since i'm new on LDL and i want to be absolutely sure that i KILL those cravings once and for all, i find that a really thick slushy fruit concoction in the morning really gets me going and fills me up. 

beans beans beans beans beans

(sorry, just had to try that)

If you like banana and strawberry then i urge you to take one pink grapefruit and one apple and put them through the juice extractor. If you don't have one then get one if you can... Then take that juice and put it in the blender with your strawberries and frozen banana.  Drink it slowly enjoying the wonderful flavors.  Remind yourself that God made all those different flavored fruits from the same rain drops and the same earth...amazing!  That's what i think about when i drink my morning fruits.  And i think about how those good vitamins are replenishing my body with nutrients it needs.  And i always thank Him for LDL!!

I  make enough to freeze for my hubby in the evening...he loves to have his "LDL ice cream."  I also use frozen cherry pieces and the other day i got a GIGONDA basket of overripe plums and peaches for $1.64!!  I washed them up, cut them off the pits and froze the pieces and i toss a couple of handfuls of that fruit in the blender too.  This gives my drinks that slushy consistency and then of course you get chunks of whole fruit in there also which is very satisfying.

From start to finish it only takes me about 7 minutes to make a full blender jar full of juice. 

Good night all and God bless!

margo

Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Carla,

I totally understand about your situation with the candy from your husband.  I think what you will have to do is this.  First of all, find a time when the two of you are alone and there is no tension between you.  Then tell him how much you love and appreciate him and ALL the nice things he does for you.  Then ask him if he loves you.  Of course, you already know that the answer is yes.  So, will all gentleness and meekness, let him know that you NEED HIS HELP in doing LDL.  Tell him that because HE loves you SOOOOO MUCH you just KNOW that he will be willing to help you in your endeavor to lose weight. 

Ask him to please NOT sabotage you with the things that he knows that you like...that are NOT LDL friendly, such as...the red dots.  Tell him what happens when you have partaken of them.  Tell him what you stated in your post here.  (The numbered items and what it does to you mentally.)  ASK him to be your cheering squad to help you on your journey to a THINNER, HEALTHIER, MORE ACTIVE wife.  Point out to him that he will reap the benefits...a companion who feels better (not only physically but mentally as well.  Perhaps if he feels like he is "helping" you, he will be more careful.  Mine tries to sabotage me quite frequently without thinking.  But when I point out what he is doing, he apologizes and doesn't usually do it again...until he forgets again!

Keep on keeping on...on LDL...you WILL get to your goal!

Love,

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
preachwife

Post by preachwife »

I am a Weight Watchers Lifetimer and just got back from my monthly weigh in. I lost 60 pds. 33 years ago. I started gaining weight last year. For the first time in 33 years I felt out of control of my eating. I saw the LDL book at a book store on vacation last August. I started it right away I loved it and it worked for me. I am down to size 2-4's in my clothes.  I went back to weight watchers and had to pay for one meeting because I am a lifetimer.  I had not been in a while but now I go every month for my weigh in. It is a great accountability for me. When I weigh in they ask people if they are doing Flex plan or Core plan. I say none of them. Just eating fruits and veggies and meat at lunch and tell them about Let's Do Lunch. I just laugh at them when they ooh and ah over the recipes they hand out full of sugar and stuff I don't think any of us should eat. They also talk about the WW treats of ice cream and cakes to buy in the store. It is sickening to me. If you want the accountability you might check into TOPS. It is cheaper. I do not own a scale because I weigh to often so I like going to a meeting. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it! You can all do it!
Don't give up!
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Carla...

Oh my goodness...i HATE shopping for clothes!!  I hate seeing myself in those store mirrors.  :'(

No...i was wondering at what time of day you eat your Lunch....

Do you still want to try your weight check in club?  If you start a new topic i promise to put my information up there.  Perhaps we can post on the first of the month? 

God bless...
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Carla....

is it possible to have your light supper at 6pm and not to include animal flesh protein in that meal?  If your breakfast time is around 12noon or 1pm, could you eat your protein then?  and then for supper you guys could have beans, salad, corn on the cob and anything else that isn't animal protein.

The only other thing i would say is that i really think Roger Troy is onto something when he (sometimes with some exasperation, i think) continues to encourage us not to weigh ourselves more than once a month.

Let's say that following LDL we lose a modest 4 pounds a month, for instance.  In a year that's almost 50 pounds.  Why do we need to get on the scale every day to see our weight fluctuate 2 pounds up and 3 pounds down during the course of a week?

I just want to follow what Roger Troy has outlined for LDLers.  If he says to weigh once a month and not more, that's what i'm doing (although weighing oneself can be a kind of separate obsession apart from food).  If Roger Troy says to eat my big protein meal early in the day...then that's what i intend to do! 

I understand now that my weight loss is not going to come from restricting myself and counting points.  My weight loss is coming from the fact that i no longer crave and eat white sugar and bad carbs....and also, because LDL causes me to have less hunger generally, when i sit down to my main meal at lunch, i now eat two pieces of chicken instead of 4 or 5 pieces.....i now eat a normal portion size piece of salmon instead of a whopping piece three or four times the amount i'm eating now. 

Jeopardy would go nicely with some popcorn. 

By the way Carla...i share with you the diet soda thing...and that's next on my list.....but i need one diet pepsi in the morning for the jolt.  i hope to be free of that also within the next month....i've already cut out the coffee and milk....

Please keep us posted...

God Bless...