Camp Food

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Camp Food

Post by joecaracappa »

This is the time of the year Delia and I get to escape the heat of the city and spend every weekend in the mountains above the Kern River at a boy scout summer camp where I act as it's medical officer. I make sure the facility is stocked with bandaids, oxygen, epi-pens, topicals, orals and other pharmaceuticals (mostly over the counter), that the quarters have a bed and breakfast like atmosphere and that the dirt and dust is kept under control. So it's like being an administrator, an innkeeper and a janitor all at the same time.

I then get nurses and doctors to donate a week of their time to the camp and deal with the 550 or so campers that show up every week, the 80 or so staff, the bears, the bobcats, rattlesnakes, raccoons, bats, lizards, you get the idea.

In spite of all the above, the most challenging thing about aspect of camp life is the dining hall. When in camp, boy scouts eat a steady diet consisting of corndogs, chicken nuggets, cereals, cookies, cold cuts, chili and a lot of other things starting with a "c". And yes, there is a steak night, burritos, eggs, waffles, pancakes, burgers, breakfast sausages and if you look closely you will find salads, some fruit and you can wash it all down with bug juice.

Can I bring my own food, yes I can! But that would take the fun out of taking what's there and making it work. You sometimes only have just seconds to make split decisions about what ends up in your plate before you are out the "out" door but the challenge is a real rush! I once ended up with a plate full of steamed vegtables covered with salsa another time is was turkey slices with a pickle rolled in a lettuce leaf.

The point is if you want to eat our way, you can make it just about anyplace work.

Joe

PS: Speaking of bears, one of the got into one of the adult's tents and got her Prozac!
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
margo
Master Member

Re: Camp Food

Post by margo »

well i'd certainly prefer Prozac for the bear than something like...say....no doze or an anti anorectic!!

But seriously, that camp experience sounds like a real challenge...but fun too!

God bless...

margo
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Joe, 

We certainly hope you enjoy yourself in the great outdoors!  Breathe deeply and INHALE all the great air of the country!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Don't you love a good challenge?  It really makes you feel as if you've accomplished somthing when you come out the other side of it.  These are growing experiences for all LDLers.  No matter how old we are, we always have a chance to grow and improve ourselves. You can do this, Joe!  God bless you and Delia.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

joecaracappa wrote:

PS: Speaking of bears, one of the got into one of the adult's tents and got her Prozac!

Would you and Delia like to join myself and Veronica's family near Lake Arrowhead the last weekend in August?  I could use someone to CHASE THE BEARS AWAY!!  We are going back to the exact campsite that 5 years ago I was only 'feet' away from mama and I think it was 3 babies.  Know it was at least two!  I'm not sure who cried out the loudest, me or those babies.  I'm a little nervous about going back, but I will definitely be more careful with what's left setting out around our campsite!!!
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Suz,

I understand about being a little cautious about what you leave out having seen the bears that close the last time.  Hope you go and have a great time...just be cautious.  I imagine the bears were just as scared of you as you were of them! 

Have a great time!  Enjoy the outdoors!

Jeanne
Last edited by Anonymous on August 2nd, 2007, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

no...Mom said the babies were the same as any other children...it didn't matter what species they were, they didn't listen to their mother calling them...they just kept going up and down the tree they had climbed and Momma was about maybe 5 feet away from my mom in our tent! No one came to find out what all the screaming was about cuz they thought it was teenagers causing ruckus LOL. When they finally did come they couldn't get momma bear to leave cuz the babies wouldn't listen and come down.
I'm not worried. I've camped there for years and never had  a prob w/ the bears...matter of fact I was there the week before that and didn't see hide nor hair of them! anyway we're gonna have lots of fun that weekend!!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

joecaracappa wrote:I then get nurses and doctors to donate a week of their time to the camp and deal with the 550 or so campers that show up every week, the 80 or so staff, the bears, the bobcats, rattlesnakes, raccoons, bats, lizards, you get the idea.!

hey, i'm a nurse......can i volunteer?...i'll bring my own epi-pen.....i don't think tom'll come.....lizards ARE kind of like small alligators, don't you think?
  actually, i wish i could....it's just the continental united states that stands in my way(the distance between ny and california)....niki 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

NIKI!!!

The Bean Queen returneth!

Aw, you would like the camp, it would be a perfect model for the LDL Ranch. 205 acres, a lake, big kitchen, horses, big tall sugar pines and ponderosas......we could lease it!

You would need a California credential to be camp nurse but of course you can come and bring lots of beans and maybe we can give the cook the night off and make greek food for the campers.........all 600 of them!

Joe
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

cook for 600?....now you're confusing me with miss mary.....and THAT would even be a challenge for her(although maybe not...maybe she'd say she'd just whip something up)...TEN people for dinner has me worried that something'll go wrong.....
  i don't know about california,but i've looked into getting a license in other states and it's pretty uncomplicated...but i think california's standards are higher and more comparable to ny's...they used to say that a ny or a california license would be accepted anywhere...it's the other states that don't have standards that are as high....when i was thinking of moving to north carolina, when i looked into it, i think i would just have had to fill out a form and pay something like $50..........
  you know NOW that you mention it, BEANS for 600 people could be the challenge of my life.....everyone would appreciate the fact that MY beans would be relatively flatulence free...
  the other day a complete stranger nicknamed me "the bean lady"...he and his wife were behind me on the line at the supermarket and they saw that i had bought like 7 pounds of dried beans(the small red beans which i love were like $.89/bag)...the guy told his wife to ask me how to cook them...she told me they came out hard and wouldn't soften...i told her what to do and threw in the info on how to minimalize the gas.................that was when he nicknamed me "the bean lady"....i used to think a nurse was who i was...now i think i'll ALWAYS be the bean queen.................niki 
Last edited by niki on August 6th, 2007, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Niki:

The camp is a busy place, one night my nurse and I did not get to dinner until 8:00 pm. We were often late for meals, but the cook always took care of us sometimes we ate better than the campers. It's like working in an ER.

Joe
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

joecaracappa wrote:Niki:
The camp is a busy place, one night my nurse and I did not get to dinner until 8:00 pm. We were often late for meals, but the cook always took care of us sometimes we ate better than the campers. It's like working in an ER.
Joe

sounds REALLY familiar....like the story of my life....that's why nurses eat so much chocolate.....because they can...people give you that stuff as they leave and it's there...you don't have time to SIT down and eat...so you eat junk food on the run......NOW, i eat raw vegetables and fruit on the run......i've come a LONG way.......niki     
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

niki wrote:
joecaracappa wrote:Niki:
Joe

sounds REALLY familiar....like the story of my life....that's why nurses eat so much chocolate.....because they can...people give you that stuff as they leave and it's there...    

Funny you should mention chocolate, I gave each of my volunteers (nurses) a medical kit completely made of chocolate (Pill bottle, bandaid, otoscope, thermometer....) A friend of mine makes them for his shop in Solvang.

Joe
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

hmmmmmm...i'm trying to decide which one i would have eaten first........niki