LDL QUILTERS

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
niki
Administrator

Re: LDL QUILTERS

Post by niki »

Carla wrote:Your ring sounds beautiful, Niki.
I have to take my ring on and off with a wash cloth (for the grip) and either soap, lotion or cream rinse. Not fun.

this ring ONLY fit on my pinkie for YEARS....it's wonderful to see it on my hand....i was NEVER good to myself when i was heavy...i know some people are....i didn't buy clothes and i rarely wore makeup...i hated looking in the mirror....so now, i'm trying to find my way back to putting my self image back together...this ring was exactly what i wanted(which is something i rarely initiated, fat OR thin)......we knew someone who had connections in the city..he brought us the setting i described...then he went and picked out the darkest saphire he could find(i told him i liked dark saphires better, not even knowing that the darker ones are more valuable..and he chose well..it's a 3 carat saphire)and the diamonds.....i think NOW, i might finally take the carat diamond i have from my FIRST marriage and make a necklace out of it....i've wanted to do that for YEARS and never did and i think it's time.............
  i think we should ALL resolve to be better to ourselves..i stayed in an abusive marriage because of low self esteem and my low self esteem contributed to OTHER mistakes i made.....GOD wants US to see ourselves as HE sees us.........thank you Lord.......... 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Queenie wrote:Carla - It will happen, I promise!

And Niki - now we ALL know where your safe is hidden!!   :o  Quick!  Time to move it!!
Carolyn

hey, i've taken a lot of my jewelry out to wear so the only thing that's in there now are my divorce decrees.....haha................niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

hahaha - well, you won't see me beating down your door for THOSE!!  lol!!!

Hey, can you take a picture of that ring?  I'd love to see it!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
CJ

Post by CJ »

So Niki, are you saying that when I go without make-up or fixing my hair and wearing only sweats that it is feasibly due to my weight? Here I thought I was going for the 'natural' look.     Yea, right.....

Your ring sounds lovely - and you have naturally good taste! We would love to see it.

You should do something with your other ring. My first ring had a pretty small diamond but it was stolen. I hoped (back then) that someone would steal my husband but no one wanted him! It's been almost 25 years and he's still single.

Last edited by CJ on October 17th, 2007, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Queenie wrote:Hey, can you take a picture of that ring?  I'd love to see it!

sure.....i'm going to get my son to take some pictures of me and i'll take a picture of the ring....it's good to have one anyway...it's funny because it's one of the FEW times in my life that i REALLY got EXACTLY what i wanted......niki
Last edited by niki on October 17th, 2007, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Carla wrote:So Niki, are you saying that when I go without make-up or fixing my hair and wearing only sweats that it is feasibly due to my weight? Here I thought I was going for the 'natural' look.     Yea, right.....

NO......i dress like that ALL the time.....but, i would not dress appropriately for occasions...church..bible study..work...now, i dress the way i should to church or to bible study...i wear makeup and fitted clothes to work(ONLY during the week..i don't wear makeup on the weekends i work)THAT'S the difference........i LOVE the natural look.....it's just that somehow the "natural look" is different when you're squeezing into your clothes because you're in denial and have like NO clothes..........
Last edited by niki on October 17th, 2007, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Carla wrote:You should do something with your other ring. My first ring had a pretty small diamond but it was stolen. I hoped (back then) that someone would steal my husband but no one wanted him! It's been almost 25 years and he's still single. 

i NEEDED a good laugh......thank you SO much........NOW, i hope he's not living in ny because i've been alone a long time and i don't want to run into him thinking he was potential husband material....niki
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

niki wrote:.....it's just that somehow the "natural look" is different when you're squeezing into your clothes because you're in denial and have like NO clothes..........

I totally agree, Niki - I rarely look nice.  I wear the same old clothes over and over because I don't want to buy more clothes until I can get a smaller size.  Doesn't make much sense & it really irritates my daughter - she gets mad at me for not being nice to myself.

oh, well.

Carolyn

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

niki wrote:...it's funny because it's one of the FEW times in my life that i REALLY got EXACTLY what i wanted......niki

That is so nice.  I love hearing things like this...

Carolyn

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Carla wrote:I hoped (back then) that someone would steal my husband but no one wanted him! It's been almost 25 years and he's still single.

hahahaha!!!  Carla, I LOVE IT!!!  I know exactly how you felt! 

Carolyn

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Queenie wrote:I totally agree, Niki - I rarely look nice.  I wear the same old clothes over and over because I don't want to buy more clothes until I can get a smaller size.  Doesn't make much sense & it really irritates my daughter - she gets mad at me for not being nice to myself.

DON'T say you rarely look nice because i'm sure that isn't true...
  my MOTHER used to yell at me....either lose weight OR buy some clothes.....thank God those days are over........AND the problem is that when you're heavier, NOTHING really looks good on you....THAT'S really at the center of it..so NOW, i've gotten rid of the big clothes and am working on acquiring a wardrobe...i used to know a woman who redid her wardrobe every season....gosh...i'm the total opposite of that...
  what we ALL have to do is be good to ourselves....for a lot of people(us and most of the people on these boards)we HAVEN'T done that............JESUS died for EACH one of us...to fully bring that into our hearts, we need to love OURSELVES.................and i personally think that that is VERY hard to do...... 
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Queenie wrote:
niki wrote:...it's funny because it's one of the FEW times in my life that i REALLY got EXACTLY what i wanted......niki

That is so nice.  I love hearing things like this...
Carolyn

thanks, carolyn.....niki
CJ

Post by CJ »

niki wrote:  i NEEDED a good laugh......thank you SO much........NOW, i hope he's not living in ny because i've been alone a long time and i don't want to run into him thinking he was potential husband material....niki

Now that's funny! You're safe!!! He's in Idaho (working as a logger). He thought if he left the state, he wouldn't have to pay child support. Turned out he was right! I got over that however because he was still the one that missed out on the girls growing up. That is worth a lot more than child support. On his defense, he quit drinking many years ago, quit smoking about 8 years ago and purchased a bike this summer so he is losing a lot of weight. But I feel he still has that dry-drunk menatlity. Oh well. I only see him about once every 5 years so whatever.

Carolyn, too bad we aren't all independantly wealthy. We could all get thin and go on a shopping expo. You are somewhere south, right? Maybe we should plan that for a year or so from now. I could use some new fashions once I get back to my comfortable size. I hate shopping now. And you have that cute grandchild. We could take turns bragging.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Carla wrote:
niki wrote:  i NEEDED a good laugh......thank you SO much........NOW, i hope he's not living in ny because i've been alone a long time and i don't want to run into him thinking he was potential husband material....niki

Now that's funny! You're safe!!!

pheewww.....what a relief......
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

geesh...talk about off topic!! Love it!

Reminds me of FLYlady...she says: "If you don't take care of yourself, you will have nothing left to nuture your family"
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

The baby quilt is DONE!  I delivered it to my sister tonight.  I really love how it turned out.  Now to put together the queen size quilt - it's the same design, just four times as big.... I really have no idea how I'm going to quilt it on my machine...  oh well, I'll figure it out... in the mean time, here's what the baby quilt looks like.

Carolyn

DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Wow Carolyn that turned out fantastic.  I just love the colors!!!!  I have so much fabric and so many quilting books but I never have the time.  My mother always wears these cotton house dresses to bed ever since I was a little girl....she must have a million of them and I swear she has the FIRST ONE she ever bought. They are pretty and colorful with flowers and little prints but nothing any of us would EVER wear.  I always tell my sisters when my mother passes away we are gonna make all us kids quilts out of the dresses so when you sleep at night its like being wrapped up in our mothers hug.  I will be calling on you for some pattern ideas when that day.  Hopefully not anytime soon, Im not ready to give my mom up just so I can start quilting lol
You girls all keep posting your projects I love seeing how creative you all are.  Those art quilts from Margo were AMAZING!!!
God Bless
Debbie
CJ

Post by CJ »

Well, Margo is an artist that does work like Picasso (those words came from DH when I showed him her work) and Carolyn, you are right behind her. That is beautiful and so full of vibrant colors. I love it!

Debbie, I think you and your sisters should all ask your mom for a dress and each of you make a section for a lap quilt and give to her. She would feel wonderful receiving something like that from you. It wouldn't take much time and I just love working on things for people. I think of them nearly the entire time I am sewing and that's what makes them even more special. I promise you, you will think of nothing but wonderful thought when you sew with her dresses and why delay what you can do today? Anyway, that's just my opinion.   
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Good Thinking Carla,
I could go over to her house and steal about 20 of them dresses out of my old bedroom that now is her walk in closet lol and she'd never miss them ahhahahhahh would be 20 less dresses I will have to clear out later!!! Youre a genius.  Dresses and dish towels.  When it comes to dish towels my mother cant ever pass up a reduced dish towel from marshalls or tj maxx.  I think its a sickness.  I have all these hideous dishtowels cause everytime I go over there she goes..."Do ya want some dish towels honey?....I got them for $1 each."  I smile and take a bagfull. lol  So my kitchen is slate and stainless steal but my dish towels are teddie bears and mallard ducks....ahhh it makes her happy and I use them for a couple months till I find someone else to pass them along to cause they are UGLY. Hey maybe I can sew them together and make beach towels!!!
God Bless
Debbie
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Everyone...

Carolyn I love your soccer quilt...It's precious...and it's so colorful.  What i especially like about it, is that although it's made for a little person, you chose to use black in it.  That's something that most people never dream of doing when they're working on a project for a child.  But i love it for two main reasons.  One is that the black makes the other colors pop with energy and contrast and the other reason is that i think the black lends a sort of sophistication to the design of the quilt.
Well done....!!
Let's see the next one....and as for quilting the big one....you can go straight across as you did this one, or you can try what i call "caracol" style.  Find the approximate center of your quilt and start there....go around and around, keeping the same distance between rows and keep stitching around and around until you go off the sides.  Then follow the pattern as you quilt the corners and then you're done.  It's fast and easy and forgiving.  It gets easier and easier to fit the quilt in your sewing machine as you work out from the center.....Try it and see what you think....i wouldn't quilt my projects any other way!

Carla...you are so right about thinking about the person as you make the quilt.  That's the best...When i'm making something for someone, i concentrate on that person and their energy.  It's so enjoyable.  When i'm not making something for someone special, then i'm concentrating on God and thinking about Him and thanking Him for all my blessings including, of course, the time, energy, money to quilt.  Then i'm sure that whoever gets that particular quilt, get's something that has a good energy worked into it. 

Debbie....my mom does the same thing with plastic containers.  I've got a gazillion of them, but i always take them because someone i know can always use them.  Debbie...your kitchen sounds like my dream kitchen, slate and stainless steel!  I've been bugging my hubby that for our place in Cairo we should have all stainless steel kitchen, but i don't know how much those items cost over there....a pretty penny i bet!  I love stainless steel in the kitchen and i think it's so much more sanitary....no?

Have a great weekend everyone...i can't wait to get quilting week after next!

God bless...
margo