LDL QUILTERS

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Forever Young
Master Member

Re: LDL QUILTERS

Post by Forever Young »

Carolyn,

Your baby soccer quilt is beautiful!!!  Perhaps the baby that uses it will grow up with a desire to play soccer and be a great player.  Have you thought about that?

Keep on quilting gals!  Love to see those pictures!  IF I ever get my scanner working I will take a photo of my daisy bed spread that I crocheted.  It has 327 daisies on it and they are each in a hexagon that I crocheted together.  It took hours and hours and hours to do...but...I really think it is beautiful!

Keep on keeping on...on LDL...and we will make it to SKINNYTOWN!~!!

Love,

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Margo,
Yes I love the stainless steel but you do have to clean them often cause the fingerprints and dirt show up fast. ( I have teenagers but it will probably be better once they are gone and its just husband and I) Although I feel better seeing the dirt cause otherwise the appliances are JUST AS DIRTY but you dont see it and arent as likely to wash them down if you dont see the dirt.  I love the look of the stone and the stainless steel too but my real love is my oversized stove. It has two electric ovens and five big gas burners on it.  Really gets the job done when Im cooking.  I didnt know how much I would enjoy the electric oven but it cooks with such even heat that everything I bake turns out great.  I also have a handy tip for those containers that multiply.  I always bring mine out when theres company or take them to family parties.  The host and guests are always appreciative when they have them around to divy up the leftovers when the parties over and it helps to clear out my drawers and Im not stuck with too many leftovers in my fridge.  Have a good day gals gotta go play tennis.
God Bless
Debbie
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Thanks, all!

The quilt will definitely belong to a soccer fan - at least the parents will be soccer fans!  It is being auctioned off at a gala and proceeds will go to the soccer company that my sister works for.  And who might be attending this gala, you might ask? .... well soccer people - and mostly soccer people with lots of money...

My original plan was just to make the big quilt, but my sister asked for a baby quilt too - - - as it turns out, there may even be a twin quilt that makes it to the gala.  We'll see!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

margo wrote:....and as for quilting the big one....you can go straight across as you did this one, or you can try what i call "caracol" style.  Find the approximate center of your quilt and start there....go around and around, keeping the same distance between rows and keep stitching around and around until you go off the sides.  Then follow the pattern as you quilt the corners and then you're done.  It's fast and easy and forgiving.  It gets easier and easier to fit the quilt in your sewing machine as you work out from the center.....Try it and see what you think....i wouldn't quilt my projects any other way!

Margo - believe it or not, that's basically how I did this, only instead of going in a circle, I went in squares.  I was afraid to do the circle because I had never done it before, but I figured that I could start in the center of the quilt and follow the lines outward... it was still hard, as the quilt had to turn and fit inbetween the needle and the machine base at every turn.  Do you have a regular machine or one that has extra space in there? 

The machine that I want is on ebay right now, and even though it's almost $600 cheaper than I could get it at an authorized dealer (the only ones that sell it), I'm really afraid.  The woman that owns it has only had it for 2 months and is getting rid of it.  She said it's still under factory warranty, but I'm not sure if that would transfer to a new owner.  Other than my house, I've never bought anything that expensive that wasn't new... and you don't want to get me started on my house!!  LOL!!!  Let's just say that I'm "Jane Fix-It"...

Carolyn
Last edited by Queenie on October 20th, 2007, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

DEBBIEWEBE wrote: I will be calling on you for some pattern ideas when that day.  Debbie

Debbie - the cool thing about quilts is that you don't NEED a pattern!  Cut a square and put it together!  I DO, however, like strip quilting the best.  This is where you cut strips of cloth, sew them together, (I usually sew 3) and then repeat.  Once you get a bunch of "big strips", you sew THOSE together, then cut in the opposite direction of the strips.  You then have bunches of "blocks" in a big strip.  You then arrange THOSE and sew them together and VOILA'!, you have a quilt!  You can make some really neat patterns in about a quarter of the time if you had sewn each block together (like I did with these quilts!!  LOL!!)

Carolyn

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

margo wrote:Carla...you are so right about thinking about the person as you make the quilt.  That's the best...When i'm making something for someone, i concentrate on that person and their energy.  It's so enjoyable.  When i'm not making something for someone special, then i'm concentrating on God and thinking about Him and thanking Him for all my blessings including, of course, the time, energy, money to quilt.  Then i'm sure that whoever gets that particular quilt, get's something that has a good energy worked into it. 

Carla and Margo - Yes!!!  I do the same thing!!  When working on these quilts, I've really been thinking about my sister and how she's going to raise money for her "special needs" kids.  Every $100.00 buys a uniform, and pays for a child to go to tournaments, etc.  This gala that she hosts makes thousands and thousands of dollars.  I like feeling that I made a difference, even though I really couldn't afford most of the stuff that she auctions off.  The money that is spent is amazing.  The sad part this year is that they didn't start the preliminary bidding online.  They've done this every year prior, and then on the night of the gala, the bidding would start at the amount that was already standing.  Apparently there was a glitch this year - a new person on staff - and they didn't do what they were suppose to do to get the online auction started.  By the time my sister found out, it was too late to put up a secure site.  Since this is a national club, everything has to go through the parent company...  oh, well.....

Years ago I used to do a lot of sewing for the church I attended.  As I sewed, I thought of the clergy that would be using the things that I made.  I remember making very ornate vestments - the most expensive ones that I ever made were for an ordination ceremony.  The material was $500.00 a yard!!  I didn't purchase it, but you can be darn sure that I measured and measured and measured before I cut!!  I was so nervous!!  They turned out beautifully, though.

Carolyn
Last edited by Queenie on October 20th, 2007, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Folks,
  All of your quilts are beautiful. You make me want to start quilting again. I think after we get moved and settled I will get out my cathedral window quilt and work on it again. It is a queen size quilt but think I will cut it back to single size else I might not get it finished before God calls me home. Lol.
                    judie
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi All...

Judie...you make me laugh because i remember someone saying to me that they had more fabric than they had life expectancy!  I hope i don't!!  i've got so much more quilting i want to do!!

God bless..
margo
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Margo,  My My My what shall we do if we can't laugh! ha ha ha
                        Judie
CJ

Post by CJ »

Sometime back Margo and Debbie were talking about stainless steel appliances. I love mine too and find "Stainless Steel Magic" to be the best way to clean them. It's manufactured by Magic American Products and pretty expensive if you buy it at an appliance store. I got it the last time from: http://www.compactorbags.com/products2.htm  It does wonders on formica also.

Margo and Carolyn, I loved your words about your thought process when you are quilting. That is so nice!

margo wrote:Then I'm sure that whoever gets that particular quilt, gets something that has a good energy worked into it. 

Carolyn, you worked on material that cost $500.00 a yard? I'd be afraid to breathe near that. What type of fabric was it? Did you decide to buy a new sewing machine? Mine is a cheap Kenmore so I don't know anything about them but would like to see what I am missing. Margo is likely the expert on those things. 
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

Yes Carla that is the product I use....I buy it at Home Depot. 
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Carla wrote:Carolyn, you worked on material that cost $500.00 a yard? I'd be afraid to breathe near that. What type of fabric was it? Did you decide to buy a new sewing machine? Mine is a cheap Kenmore so I don't know anything about them but would like to see what I am missing. Margo is likely the expert on those things. 

Carla - I was so afraid to cut that material that it wasn't funny!!  I'm not sure what type of brocade it was, but it was shiny gold - who knows, maybe it had real gold woven in it... the thing is - when I got done making everything that was needed out of it, I had a square left that was about 6x6 inches! 

YES!!!  I did go out and buy a new machine!!!  It is INCREDIBLE!!!  It's a Brother QC-1000 - and unfortunately for me, it's only sold at "authorized dealers" (you can read that as, "no sales, etc." LOL!!)  I got it on Saturday, but it took me until yesterday to sit down and start quilting the queen size quilt.  I've been having a lot of fun and the quilt is almost finished.  I should finish it either tonight or tomorrow.  Good thing, too - the gala is Friday night!  (I always seem to do this - go till the last minute... sigh...)

Anyway, back to the machine... I'll be back when I take my next break.

Carolyn

DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

6" x 6"  did you save it for the centerpiece of one of your masterpiece quilts?
CJ

Post by CJ »

I would take that 6x6 piece and frame it!

Congratulations on your new machine, Carolyn. That must be so exciting. Sometimes our best work is done under pressure, so just keep working away.  You will certainly have bids on your work!!!! We can't wait to hear how the event goes.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Queenie wrote:the most expensive ones that I ever made were for an ordination ceremony.  The material was $500.00 a yard!! 

i CANNOT believe that you worked on fabric that was $500/yard...ohmygosh....
  and now with your new machine, you must be SO happy doing this...niki

life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I can't believe that it's 9:30 already!  No, I'm not done!!!!  I'm going to set my alarm for a few hours from now and get back up and sew.  My sister just emailed me and asked me for a photo... ack!  Off to read the rest of the posts and then get back up.  I have a feeling I'm going to be one tired puppy tomorrow!

Carolyn

Oh - and the 6x6 piece - two wonderful ideas!!  I just stuck it in a box filled with material - maybe I should dig it out...   :)

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

niki wrote:  i CANNOT believe that you worked on fabric that was $500/yard...ohmygosh....

Yes, that was really nerve-wracking... In a way it makes me sad.  The priest that I made it for just recently died.  He was a wonderful friend of mine but when I moved from Northern Virginia to VA Beach, we lost touch.  I didn't find out until after the funeral... and the weird part was - he died here in VA Beach...  Frustrating because I never found out any more information...  :(

Carolyn

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Queenie wrote:  I didn't find out until after the funeral... and the weird part was - he died here in VA Beach...  Frustrating because I never found out any more information..

that's so sad that he died where you are and you didn't know......duh.....well, i guess if you were meant to be involved, you would have found out about it by coincidence(remembering richard hernandez saying coincidence is when God chooses to remain anonymous)...niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

It's DONE!  I finished the Queen size quilt last night about 10:15!!  Just in time to deliver it to my sister this morning.  The night before last I worked until about 10:00, set my clock and got up four hours later - 2 a.m. & sewed until about 7 a.m. - then went to work, took off at 2:30 and came home and sewed most of the night.  A LOT of quilting in a large quilt when you have to make sure to sew every inch or so!!  I used cotton batting & if you use this, you really should sew very close together - it prevents bunching when the quilt is washed...

Anyway, I figured that I'd post a photo, even though it's almost identical to the baby quilt...

Carolyn

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Queenie wrote:Anyway, I figured that I'd post a photo, even though it's almost identical to the baby quilt...

carolyn...ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS.............niki