Whey Protein

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Jamilet
New, but learning

Whey Protein

Post by Jamilet »

I read that we can use whey protein in our smoothies as long as it does not contain sugar.  The product I have is NOW SPORTS 100% PURE WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE.  It's label states that each scoop (28 g) has 105 calories, 1 g total carbohydrates, 1 g sugar and 25 g of protein. I am very active and weight train three to four time per week.  So, I would like to know if I could have a scoop with my fruit for breakfast and another one with my fruit for dinner without slowing down my weight loss.
Jamilet
Queenie
Administrator

Re: Whey Protein

Post by Queenie »

Jamilet - Can you list the ingredients?

Thanks,
Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Jamilet,

Since it lists 1 gram of sugar, I would be interested in what the actual INGREDIENTS in the product are.  Sugar has around 100 names under which it can and is hidden.  Would you mind listing the ingredients for us to check out before we have to make an intelligent decision?

Thanks!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

hi jamilet....whey is esentially a dairy product so i'm going to say that it would not be acceptable...if you want to try it and see wether you're still able to lose weight taking it, let me know how you do...
  i worked as a fitness instructor for 11 years and i understand what you're saying...my son is a body builder and he has loads of canisters of stuff he tells me he CANNOT be without....in all the years i taught aerobics, i weight trained 3-4 times a week also(i just about lived at the gym)...i drank shakes, but mostly as an attempt to lose weight...it didn't affect my success in using weights....i wasn't able to build more muscle during the times i drank them......americans eat too much fat AND too much protein...
  one of many wonderful things about let's do lunch is that it is moderate protein without eating a lot of animal protein which is REALLY a good way of eating...and i'm talking long term.....a LOT of people over the years have really endangered their health to lose weight or to accomplish fitness goals...let's do lunch is all around GOOD for you.........combining the beans with corn and with average portions of meat, chicken or fish you'll get all the protein you need.....and good indications of wether anyone is getting enough protein is the condition of their hair and nails.......mine are definitely better on let's do lunch than they were before...........sincerely,niki 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Rhea

Post by Rhea »

I'd keep right off whey powder if I were you. Although it's the protein part of milk, it's still very 'diary' and it seems to me from my own experience and what I've read of others' success stories, this diet works a whole lot better without dairy...

In my opinion, having studied a lot about nutrition (though not a pro) I believe there's ample protein in LDL even for those like me who are doing the vegetarian version.

Just my two cents worth, for what it's worth...

Rhea
Jamilet
New, but learning

Post by Jamilet »

Following is exactly what is listed on the label under Ingredients: 100% Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate.  I just started LDL three days ago, and so far, I've manged to lose a pound a day despite my moderate use of this product.  I was just wondering if my weight loss would be even faster without it.
Last edited by Jamilet on October 25th, 2007, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamilet
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Jamilet wrote:so far, I've manged to lose a pound a day despite my moderate use of this product.  I was just wondering if my weight loss would be even faster without it.

jamilet, you read the book....didn't you read the part that says you shouldn't weigh yourself more than once a month?....when i was losing, i went by the way my clothes felt, so sometimes i might weigh myself after 2 weeks and sometimes 2 months.....
  the few pounds you've lost so far is fluid.......most people on let's do lunch usually see some kind of initial loss because of that.....it's the fluid your body held onto because of the unhealthy carbs......
  i'm also going to tell you that that supplement you're using also probably has maltodextrins and other hidden sugars..i only mentioned the whey and why that wasn't acceptable for let's do lunch because that was the ingredient you mentioned.....if there's sugar in this supplement, you won't experience being less hungry and losing your cravings........do you want to let me know about ALL the ingredients?......niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Jamilet
New, but learning

Post by Jamilet »

Hi Niki,  Thanks for the input. And yes, my friend, I did read that we should only weigh ourselves once per month. I am committed to weighing myself only on the first of each month from now on.  But, I still can't help being really excited, whether it's water weight or not, because I've never lost any kind of weight this fast before!  And, I'm really eating as much as I want to! 

When I listed the ingredients for the whey protein I am using, I did list all of them.  This product is unflavored and unsweetened. 

The book also said that we could use a little fat free yogurt or cottage cheese if we so desired and this particular product provides more protein and calcium per calorie than either of those do.
Last edited by Jamilet on October 26th, 2007, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamilet
Rhea

Post by Rhea »

Then maybe it's OK ... it sounds as if it's suiting you.

Good luck,

Rhea
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

ALL it says is whey protein?.....i'm surprised..because the ones i used to use and the one my son uses has a LOT of other stuff in it...then, in that case, it's your call.........but, remember that roger believes that ALL dairy is fattening so you're not supposed to really eat that TOO often...........not to mention that humans are the only ones who continue to drink milk once they're weaned.........
  i wasn't able to lose weight any other way....i have an underactive thyroid and before i was on medication, even starving myself and being at the gym almost every day didn't do it....low carbs stopped working on me....ONLY let's do lunch....and i do the program in it's most basic form...i don't eat any of the occasional foods when i'm strictly on program....
  i wish you success.........keep me posted............niki