[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
Let's Do Lunch Community • View topic - The Sad Sad Story about Brown Rice

Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Profile Send private message  

Hi Margo!

A couple things about the brown rice....yes, make sure you're getting the very natural dark looking rice where you can literally see the outer coating is intact when you look at the grains in the bag.  Anita showed me the rice she's been buying (so therefore it's the rice Roger has been eating as Anita does the shopping and cooking in their house) and it's very dark and natural....a lot of it is mahogany color.  It's nothing like that cheap beige "minute rice" stuff in look or flavor.  I know that Roger has been eating the rice once a day in the early afternoon with his main meal of the day.  I'm eating around 1/2 a cup to 2/3 cup of cooked very natural mixed brown and wild rice a few times a week, and it's just fine.  Hope this helps!

With regards to your vegetarian question, I have known a few vegetarians who have done LDL, some with great results and some who didn't do as well as they could have done because of choices they made.  Basically, in theory, it's MUCH EASIER for a vegetarian to succeed at Let's Do Lunch than it is for a meat eater, because you don't have to wean yourself down to eating meat or fish just once a day.  (For some Texans I know, cutting down to eating meat at just one meal instead of at two or three meals has been a major hurdle!  ;D)  No doubt about it, if you eat LDL properly without meat or seafood, you'll do well.  BUT, yes, there's always a but!, you must make sure you get adequate protein.  Eat a good variety of beans, and corn with your beans so you get a complete protein. A mistake some vegetarians have made is to do things like eat TVP (textured vegetable protein) and tofurkey, for example, as meat alternatives.  If you read the ingredients on the panels, they not only contain what you would expect them to contain--soybeans--but also a whole lot of other ingredients such as wheat flour, starches, and frequently sugars.  Those are fattening.  So just be careful, and you will succeed with or without being a carnivore!

Mary

Last edited by marysimmons on , edited 1 time in total.

Oh my! Well, Margo, I agree with all the help you've been given, and "dark brown" brown rice is the ONLY way to go...do NOT ever buy any light-colored brown rice, like the light-colored brown rice that comes in a box at the grocery store. The "dark brown" brown rice goes right to your colon before digesting and therefore can't turn into fat in your body, whereas the light-colored brown rice has had the husk at least partially removed, and therefore that light-colored brown rice digests in your stomach and acts just like the foods made from white flour, potatoes, regular sugar and white rice.

I have been eating the "dark brown" brown rice as a mixture with wild rice, and then mixing that with the Butter-bean Mashed Potatoes (in the book, Bill's Mashed Potatoes), which is deeelicious, as well as mixing that with black beans, which is also deeelicious, and I have noticed two things: first, I have not gained any weight, and 2nd my bowel movements have noticeably improved without any straining.

Now a word about figs. A fig is a "false" fruit and have lots of seeds in them. Please stay away from them, as I believe they could be fattening.

Further, put olive oil on your popcorn, but as little as possible to make it taste good.

In conclusion, I'm almost certain that your problem was threefold...eating light-colored brown rice, eating lots of figs and eating too much olive oil.

God bless,

Roger Troy

Roger Troy, author of Let's do Lunch (amazing reviews at amazon.com, made The 700 Club's "Top Highlights of the Last 50 Years!", called an "International Sensation", a "Smash Hit" and the "Most Buzzed-about Weight-loss Book of the Year!" by FIRST Magazine (for women)

Thanks so much RT...

i'll do exactly as you say....No figs (i never made the connection between those little crunchy seeds inside the fig...)-- really dark brown rice --i'll use that Lundberg's gourmet brown rice -- it even smells different than the fake brown rice when it is cooking!  I'll watch my Olive oil intake as well.

no wonder i was having problems...glad i found out right away...

I just got finished having lunch...had that Lundberg's brown rice with sauteed veggies on top.  Later i'll have black beans and a big slaw salad....

thanks everybody!
God bless.
margo

Well, I'm coming in a number of days late, but I wanted to tell you about the wonderful mahogany rice that I bought last week.  As I've said before, I've never really been a rice eater, but both varieties that I bought were wonderful.

I just went out to the kitchen and the variety, Margo, was the same brand you talked about - Lundberg.  The two varieties that I bought were:

Lundberg Wehani and
Lundberg Black Japonica

The second one says on the package that it's a "gourmet field blend of black & mahogany rice".  I'm going to go on their website and check it out. 

Oh - one little post script - each cup of raw rice will yield 3 cups of cooked rice -

Carolyn

John's Weight Loss Progress

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

John's Weight Loss Progress

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Margo,
I found that processed corn (ie grits and corn meal) caused weight gain. Don't try the rice flour PLEASE!

Hi again everyone...good morning...

Noooo..i'm not going to try any rice flour -- brown or otherwise.  I really understood it when RT explained (again) about the brown husk of the rice grain protecting stomachs from using the carb inside the grain.....so interesting....

Little Mary -- how ARE you enjoying the new member of your family (Vitamix?)  Do you love it?

I think i paid about 45 dollars for 12 sixteen ounce bags....includes shipping.... about $3.75 ...That's okay for me...i did see it on amazon for about $36 for 6 12 ounce bags ---not including shipping --...my health food store doesn't carry it yet and they're expensive anyway....

Have a great day!
God bless
Thanks for all your help...
i feel great today.....no meat yesterday -- feel lighter...

margo

Ok .. here is my 2 ¢ … We all react to food differently. How many people do we know that are allergic to dairy products, or peanuts, or shellfish - while the majority of people can consume them with no issues? Same goes for LDL foods. 

I found if I ate Wasa Light Rye Crispbread, I went into an eating frenzy. I can’t explain what caused it, but it would happen. I couldn’t stop at only 1 or 2, I would need to eat the whole package - then I would move on to other “unfavorable” foods. So I decided to omit them.

I know Roger has posted he can’t have unsweetened soynut butter. It’s addictive to him. However many other folks have no issues with it.

We’re all “wired” a little differently. What’s good for the majority may be “bad” for the one.

Remember, this is a learning experience for all of us. I suggest avoiding any food that had adverse results, even if the food is considered LDL approved.

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”