The Sad Sad Story about Brown Rice

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
margo
Master Member

The Sad Sad Story about Brown Rice

Post by margo »

Hi Gang...

As you know, red meat and fish have really been turning me off lately....been eating mostly Brown rice for lunch with veggies and lots of pop corn and LDL icecream at night.  I've been having lentils or beans in the morning for something warm and satisfying....also have my figs and banana at that time.  Then lots of water during the day and early lunch as described above.  I have been having some fresh killed chicken with the rice and humongous green salad and beans/peas of course.  Then lots of olive oil again on my popcorn -- the biggest bowl of popcorn in the house (enough for about 3 people, i think!!)

I have been gaining weight -- about 7 pounds --  So now, about a month or so after starting the almost daily brown rice (and i eat a lot of it...like a cup of raw rice) i find that i'm gaining weight....it's funny cause i actually feel better than when i am eating more animal protein.  I stopped the brown rice about 3 days ago and have already shed a couple of pounds. 

i just don't know what to eat any more.  I know that the experience i had with my stomach and my hubby's stomach has really made me think about everything that is going into my mouth and stomach.  I don't seem to want red meat any more -- i don't want the farm raised fish any more.  I wonder about the fruits and veggies i'm eating.  I worry about the water we're drinking even though we try to purify our water. 

Has anyone tried LDL as a vegetarian?  What were your experiences?

i'm so sorry i can't eat brown rice every day.  i must have either brown rice or animal protein.  Just doesn't seem possible to make it through the day without one or the other.

God bless
margo
joecaracappa
Master Member

Re: The Sad Sad Story about Brown Rice

Post by joecaracappa »

Margo:

I thought it was WILD rice we were allowed to eat and only occasionally. Also you have to be real careful with "brown" rice. You need to get the real thing because some vendors dye white rice and market it as brown. You will pay more for the real thing.

Joe

P.S. Whats LDL ice cream?
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Joe;
You may have missed it. RT has been experimenting with both whole grain brown rice and wild rice. He has been eating a lot of it daily and not gaining weight.
LDL Ice Cream is frozen pureed fruit.
NJ
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Joe...Hi Enjae!

I'll have to go and look for those posts by Roger Troy.  Could it be that most days i would eat rice twice?  like early in the day for lunch and then around supper time -- usually i would eat whatever rice was left over with whatever veggies or salad were left over?

Hmmm...Joe, you know i did actually start purchasing the brown rice at the supermarket across the street and not from the health food store and i was surprised that the grocery store price for brown rice was less than the health food store...Could it be i was not getting the real thing??? Good grief...

Ohhh i would love to try again...in fact i'm going to dine at chinese restaurant this afternoon and i know they serve brown rice but i'm not sure it's REAL brown rice...probably will just have some protein and veggies......but on the way back home i'll stop and get some real brown rice from the health food store...

I'm going to try it again....this time without using extra olive oil to brown the rice and garlic before adding the water....but if i gain more weight-- fuggedaboudit (as they say in Brooklyn and New Joisy).

i want to try again...very strictly and see if i can eat the brown rice. That would be such a blessing for me.

And i thought that little mary was doing well with brown rice also.

LDL Ice Cream?  That's something i make...My husband named it cause it's stiffer than a slushie and it's sort of creamy 'cause of the banana in it.  i usually make two or three flavors and heap it up in the bowl with sliced mango or more ripe banana on top...  It's just frozen fruit and fresh grapes or fresh orange all blended up into an icecream like consistency....if it's not stiff enough to handle like ice cream, then after preparing it, pop it in the freezer for a few minutes and then serve.  My husband actually goes CRAZY when i serve him LDL ice cream!  He wants some right now, but it's so close to time to eat chinese food, that i'll prepare it when we get back.

Ohhh...Today i happened to munch some little bites of fig as i was eating a bowl of pop corn.  It was the most delicious thing...salty, sweet...crunchy...little fig seeds, chewy skins....wonderful...i thoroughly recommend it.

God bless
margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote:I have been gaining weight -- about 7 pounds --  So now, about a month or so after starting the almost daily brown rice (and i eat a lot of it...like a cup of raw rice) i find that i'm gaining weight....it's funny cause i actually feel better than when i am eating more animal protein.  I stopped the brown rice about 3 days ago and have already shed a couple of pounds. 

the problem with ALL of us are the compulsive eating habits that brought us here....for me, anyway, that's the case..........i was going to try putting my chili over some brown rice...i ate oatmeal a couple of days in a row and had cravings......so, i don't really know what to say to anyone about any of this anymore....i can tell you that just as eating beans with corn creates a complete protein, so does brown rice when eaten with beans.........so, for a vegetarian, brown rice is a good addition..........
  margo, go back to basics.......don't snack a lot....eat a lot of beans...and be careful with ANY extras.............if you want to eat brown rice, you could add a little to your beans, or you could wait and see if the whole thing was due to the rice.................keep me posted...........niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Thanks Guys...

i've just ordered a better quality brown/wild rice that i first had when i was in Barbados...i have enough in the fridge for today at least.  Everything else will be strictly LDL.  Will keep you posted.

Thanks Niki especially the words about not snacking.....thanks Little Mary too!

Have a great week everyone!
God bless...
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Thanks so much RT...

i'll do exactly as you say....No figs (i never made the connection between those little crunchy seeds inside the fig...)-- really dark brown rice --i'll use that Lundberg's gourmet brown rice -- it even smells different than the fake brown rice when it is cooking!  I'll watch my Olive oil intake as well.

no wonder i was having problems...glad i found out right away...

I just got finished having lunch...had that Lundberg's brown rice with sauteed veggies on top.  Later i'll have black beans and a big slaw salad....

thanks everybody!
God bless.
margo
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Well, I'm coming in a number of days late, but I wanted to tell you about the wonderful mahogany rice that I bought last week.  As I've said before, I've never really been a rice eater, but both varieties that I bought were wonderful.

I just went out to the kitchen and the variety, Margo, was the same brand you talked about - Lundberg.  The two varieties that I bought were:

Lundberg Wehani and
Lundberg Black Japonica

The second one says on the package that it's a "gourmet field blend of black & mahogany rice".  I'm going to go on their website www.lundberg.com and check it out. 

Oh - one little post script - each cup of raw rice will yield 3 cups of cooked rice -

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Yeah!  Lundberg....wonderful rice...

i just ordered a carton of it...should arrive in a few days...in the meantime, i'm doing beans and lots of veggies.  I saw that japonica...didn't order it though...maybe next time.  Tell me QUeenie...how do you like the japanoica rice by Lundberg? Did you notice that they officer brown rice flour on the website?  Also, brown rice chips...i wonder if they're made of the REAL DARK brown rice grains.

hasta pronto!
God bless...
margo
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I agree, Mary - I think that with the brown rice that the hull is what doesn't break down?  That's my understanding when Roger says that it passes right through...  not positive, just the train of thought that my brain took.

Margo - I've not ordered from the website - I picked up the two bags that I have from my co-op.  I guess I should go and see what THEY are charging.  :)  I think I paid over three dollars for a small bag, but when I was getting it, I figured that this was just a trial to see if John liked it.  I figured that if he did (and he did!) that I would comparison shop later.

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Margo,
I found that processed corn (ie grits and corn meal) caused weight gain. Don't try the rice flour PLEASE!
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi again everyone...good morning...

Noooo..i'm not going to try any rice flour -- brown or otherwise.  I really understood it when RT explained (again) about the brown husk of the rice grain protecting stomachs from using the carb inside the grain.....so interesting....

Little Mary -- how ARE you enjoying the new member of your family (Vitamix?)  Do you love it?

I think i paid about 45 dollars for 12 sixteen ounce bags....includes shipping.... about $3.75 ...That's okay for me...i did see it on amazon for about $36 for 6 12 ounce bags ---not including shipping --...my health food store doesn't carry it yet and they're expensive anyway....

Have a great day!
God bless
Thanks for all your help...
i feel great today.....no meat yesterday -- feel lighter...

margo
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Ok .. here is my 2 ¢ … We all react to food differently. How many people do we know that are allergic to dairy products, or peanuts, or shellfish - while the majority of people can consume them with no issues? Same goes for LDL foods. 

I found if I ate Wasa Light Rye Crispbread, I went into an eating frenzy. I can’t explain what caused it, but it would happen. I couldn’t stop at only 1 or 2, I would need to eat the whole package - then I would move on to other “unfavorable” foods. So I decided to omit them.

I know Roger has posted he can’t have unsweetened soynut butter. It’s addictive to him. However many other folks have no issues with it.

We’re all “wired” a little differently. What’s good for the majority may be “bad” for the one.

Remember, this is a learning experience for all of us. I suggest avoiding any food that had adverse results, even if the food is considered LDL approved.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Well i don't have a vitamix yet...but it's the next thing on my "gotta get" list! (the one my mom gave me for a wedding present, i gave back to her to send back because i thought the gift was too expensive)..  But man, when i think about it, i want to slap myself!  ;D

God bless...
margo

oh, by the way, i cut out the morning lentils also...now that the weather is warming up, i can be satisfied with some fruit...so i just had a banana, an organge and an apple....will keep my lentils for pre Lunch soup.....don't have any brown rice today cause my shipment didn't arrive yet...So i'll just have a great big salad...pink beans with collards in them and i guess i'll have some animal protein today -- i have a piece of salmon in there that i can use up....trying to clear out the freezer to make room for new stock of fruits for freezing this summer.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Little Mary...

That's why my hubby started calling it "LDL icecream."  I have a big mixer that came with a smaller attachment and that's what i use to make our LDL ice cream.  It is no longer a smoothie...it is definitely ice cream consistency.  and if it isn't perfect consistency when i finish making it -- just five minutes in the freezer makes it set up perfectly.....it's unbelievable....i'm glad you're finally enjoying LDL ice cream...

today i'll only make one flavor - pear/orange/banana....all of those are frozen solid and i'll toss those pieces in with some unfrozen grapes to make our icecream...i have to make two containers full to be enough for us....but i ALWAYS reserve some portion of the ice cream in the freezer for the following day....That makes it come out so incredibly ice creamish -- it's different (still good but different) when i don't reserve some ice cream from the day before.

God bless and enjoy LDL ice cream!!
margo