BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
margo
Master Member

Re: BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Post by margo »

Wow Little Mary...

I want to try it again. 

I was also waiting with bait-like ...i mean baited..breath, for little mary's results!  ;D

What wonderful news....

anyone else having any results with really really brown rice that they would like to share?

The thing i love most about that lundberg's brown rice is that it has a "chew" like ground meat....

When i try it again, i'm going to do it like Little Mary and RT do it....a spoonful or two in a heaping bowl of beans....smaller portion of animal protein...MAJOR salad on the side..

yum

God bless!
margo
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

RT and LM;

Thank you both very much for doing this experiment!
I have been on LDL for nearly 2 years. And I must confess that I am still eating meat twice a day. My mother told me once that when I was a toddler she could barely get me to eat anything but meat.
One of the things I missed was rice. If I wasn't going to eat meat in my pre-LDL days, I liked beans and rice or black eyed peas and cornbread. We all know that cornbread was a disaster; I gained weight eating it. Now that I can add in beans and rice I bet I'll be more successful!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!
NJ

ps - thought I'd better mention, the rice I have is a black Japonica.
Last edited by EnJae on June 11th, 2008, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

uh oh...

i think our experiment had a little flaw in it because it did not take into consideration that Little Mary had already reached her goal and was only seeking to maintain her weight and not gain weight during her brown rice experiment.

i'm thinking that brown rice will be fine when we have reached our goal, like Little Mary and Roger Troy have done.  They have been successful in not only getting to their goal, but staying there for some nice length of time.

i'm thinking that for the rest of us who are not at goal and/or those of us who have not been following LDL strictly (like Little Mary and RT), brown rice may not cause us to gain weight, but we may not lose the weight we want and need to lose.

Is there anyone out there who is currently seeking to lose weight, who would be willing to eat brown rice and then see if any weight was lost?  Or am I going to have to do it??
(i'd hate to climb on the scale right now, but i'll do it if we really want to see if we can lose weight eating brown rice and especially since i'm doing LDL strictly.  I would even cut out the little skim milk in the morning to be completely LDL compliant -- but that amount of skim milk never caused me any problem losing on LDL before...)

What say you guys?
Have a wonderful day...and and Wonderful Father's Day tomorrow!
margo
BradyBunchMom

Post by BradyBunchMom »

Just wanted to let Gene know that I found this dark brown rice at H.E.B. and it is fairly reasonably priced because it is their store brand.  It says "Red Arroz Himalayan" and I can clearly see that most all of the rice has the hull still on there are a few pieces (maybe 6/cup) that the hull is off and they look like the regular store bought brown rice.

I can't recall but I think you have H.E.B. In Houston.  We are going to try this in hopes of cutting back a bit on meat....and to give me a asian food fix:-)

Lovin LDL,
Julie
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi all..

So RT, are you losing weight eating brown rice?  Most of us need to lose weight although knowing how to maintain is critically important as well and if brown rice helps in that -- then i will be an extremely happy camper!

I am one week into testing brown rice to see if i lose weight.  I'll report back in a few more weeks.

God bless!
margo
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Mary - I'm sorry that it's taken me this long to post my thanks for you doing this experiment.  Since I've never really been a rice eater, so I'm not sure that I could do what you did, but I DO enjoy the taste of the dark brown rice and it's great to know that I can enjoy it guilt-free if I should choose to.

Hugs to you, my friend....

Margo - I'll be waiting to hear how you're doing!!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Gang...

Hi Carolyn!  Yes..i can't wait to see what happens in another three weeks....If i lose even one single pound (by the way, last week i was 194 -- today i weighed in at 195, but i'm not concerned about that -- i'll use the weight at the end of another three weeks because i know i can seesaw up and down during the month)  i will be so happy to know that i can have the dark dark brown rice and still lose weight. 

I'm eating the rice like RT and Little Mary -- a couple of heaping serving spoons into whatever beans i'm having that day.

God bless...
margo
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Watching and waiting for your results.......Thanks for doing this for us!  ;D
Love,
Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Yes RT, i promise to stay off the scale until the end of the test period.

ANd today, when i was at the supermarket, those darn cheeze its were calling to me again.  I found strength in the fact that i promised to do LDL faithfully so that we can have legitimate results from my experiment with brown brown rice.

had rice today on top of my kidney beans...scrumptious...with that i had a casserole (spelling?) with ground LDL burger meat cooked down with garlic and onions and tomatoes and chopped grape leaves, cilantro, flat leaf parsley and dill....then spread in the dish and topped with mashed dumpling squash....oh baby....yum

next will be popcorn for a snack...later, LDL icecream!

rings feel a bit more loose today..

God bless!
margo
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Margo, that hot dish sure sounds good. I might have to make that tomorrow.  I have a jar of grape leaves in the kitchen. Yep I have everything.  Thanks for the recipe.  Yum!
                  Judie
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

margo wrote:rings feel a bit more loose today..

Margo,

Know what you mean about the rings.  A few weeks ago I noticed that I was missing one of my index finger rings.  I KNEW the ring was getting toooooo large since LDL, but still enjoyed wearing it and it had stayed on my finger, so no problem.  WELL, when we got back home from doing errands, I noticed it was missing.  I looked for a few weeks but didn't find it.  It was NOT an expensive ring, but one that I have had for years and years so was slightly upset when I thought I had lost it.

A few days ago, I was looking in a purse, and guess what I found!  YEP!!! The missing ring.  That certainly made my day!  So, I guess we all need to be aware....on LDL....our fingers will lose weight...as well as our feet...as well as the rest of our bodies.  YAHOO!!!  YAHOO!!!  YAHOO!!!

Love,
Jeanne
Wooooooo~woooooooo..........chug-a-chug..........chug-a-chug....................
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi All..

Judy...that casserole was delicious and there's half left (and i am thinking about lunch time....will have that leftover with a piece of broiled salmon seasoned with lime and garlic...big tossed salad on the side...

doing well...rings feel even loser today and my tummy feels smaller and i know that something is happening....wouldn't it be great if i DO lose weight eating brown rice?  WOW, what a blessing that would be for LDLers who are just starting out like i'm starting over...

Time will tell.

I'm so glad you found your ring.  i thought a lost an emerald and gold earring my bestest friend gave me (she sent her little 2 year old over to show me what was in her hand.  WHen little Ashley opened her tiny fist, there were these two beautiful gold earrings with really respectable size emerald cut (duh) emeralds)....i was sick about losing one...thought it might be at the hair salon (no luck), i looked all over but then when i was cleaning behind a chair in my office...in the corner in the dark was something sparkling....lo' and behold...my earring...i sure was happy and i was praising God!

i hate to lose stuff...

God bless!
margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Forever Young wrote: A few weeks ago I noticed that I was missing one of my index finger rings.  I KNEW the ring was getting toooooo large since LDL, but still enjoyed wearing it and it had stayed on my finger, so no problem.  WELL, when we got back home from doing errands, I noticed it was missing.  I looked for a few weeks but didn't find it.  It was NOT an expensive ring, but one that I have had for years and years so was slightly upset when I thought I had lost it.

A few days ago, I was looking in a purse, and guess what I found!  YEP!!! The missing ring. 

i HATE when i lose things....ESPECIALLY jewelry..........glad you found it...what a fluke...............n
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

THe only thing i hate to find after losing it is the weight!!  ;D

What really got me to get a grip and restart LDL was the fact that when i took in all my slax and skirts, i clipped off the excess fabric because it didn't look nice and i didn't want two big hunks of fabric digging into my sides.....so the best choice i had when i noticed i was going way off track little by little, was to catch myself before i couldn't wear the taken in clothing any longer.... wheeeewww :-[

Have a great weekend!
God bless
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi all..

Hi RT... Yes, you have suggested that cheesy snack to be before and i am using it...the truth is, i'm really not crazy about the corn thins...so i've just been eating more lentils and corn and peas. 

I also think that when i had that stomach infection, i just couldn't eat the way i should on LDL -- the beans were tearing me up...in fact much of any food was not really sitting well with me and i think that left me open for cravings to sneak in.

Hey i thought of a new slogan for LDL....(remember the Con Edison slogan from years ago: "Dig We Must"?  Our slogan should be "Eat, We Must"

Now i can eat all the foods i want without any discomfort, nausea, etc -- so i'm doing well again because i can really eat.  But yes, i know that if i'm even feeling a little tug in the direction of the cheese its (What the bleep is in those things for crying out loud! - Heroine??? gee whiz)..that means i haven't had sufficient complex carbs.

i'm just sort of standing back from myself and watching myself to see what cravings do pop up.....i'm feeling stronger and stronger every day, thank the Lord...and thank the Lord for LDL and you Roger Troy and all the rest of you LDLers!!

(my pant waist feels a bit looser today!!)

God bless
margo