BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
margo
Master Member

Re: BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Post by margo »

Hi Little Princess..

i so appreciate the time and effort you took to respond to my experiences eating rice. 

You probably noticed -- although maybe it wasn't under the guinea pig thread -- that the morning after i did not have the popcorn at night, i woke up feeling less bloated and actually weighed in at the same 194 pounds.... i'm sure that the salt has alot to do with the bloating i've been experiencing..and i do take in a lot of liquids. 

Perhaps you and RT are right.  Perhaps it's just me and everyone else will lose weight eating rice as often as they like.  I thoroughly understand that none of us should gain weight eating the rice even if we eat it three times a day every single day..... it's the weight LOSS that i'm wondering about. 

i would say that what i'm feeling is an INTENSE desire never to be separated from rice again.  I would say that it is not a craving for illegal carbs...just a desire for rice at least twice a day...and three times is even better....And, if we can eat all the rice we want on LDL then that shouldn't be a problem, right?  I should still see weight loss.  After all, i ate all the beans, corn, peas, lentils that i want any time i wanted and lost weight.  If eating rice more than once a day is going to cause weight stagnation or gain, then it should probably only be eaten occasionally (like mimi has been doing and she reports that she lost a pound -- over what period of time we do not know). 

I really want the rice to be able to be eaten by ALL NEW LDLers who are looking for a major weight loss like the 85 pound weight loss you had in just one year (Little Princes...that is Marrrrvelous!!). 

i have the same feeling about popcorn as i do about rice.  i can't imagine not eating it as often as i like.  I have cut down on the sea salt and have almost entirely refrained from using olive oil on it.  I don't love rice as much as i love my husband, but...well...almost!!  :-[ :-\

i figure it's best to share here on the boards what i'm eating so that everyone can see it and comment on it.. and i'll report each day until the test is over.

Today, so far i've had...
Breakfast
Diet pepsi
water
three bowls of LDL ice cream
left over rice and black beans

Then for lunch i ate chicken breast and rice and garbanzos and green salad with a beet and green pea and red onion salad.

i'm thinking that i'd like popcorn and more LDL icecream later today and for supper i'll probably have supper of left over rice and more garbanzos, corn on the cob and my left over green salad.

i only use olive oil -- except the butter flavored spray i use on the popcorn.

i truly hope that it's the salt and so with your wonderful feedback i am all revved up to wage a war against salt -- which, it occurs to me ain't very healthy  anyway, right?

Thanks so much LP...you're wonderful to take your time with this.  What a great blessing it would be to find the key that allows me to continue eating the rice AND lose weight!  Something tells me that adjusting the salt is going to make a difference!

How's your job hunt going?  Any news?
God bless
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi again gang...

I continue to think about the rice and how it will affect those new LDLers who will read the new book and immediately integrate this dark brown rice into their menus while they expect to lose the weight as we all did following the original LDL plan.  I went back and read this thread and saw where Little Mary wrote:

". . . The BIG question on my mind and many other peoples' minds. . . is whether or not LDL WITH the new addition of dark brown rice, is going to be less effective and offer less success than LDL WITHOUT the regular consumption of dark brown rice and wild rice. . . “

To my way of thinking, this IS the central issue for those new LDLers.  We all want them to be as successful as we all were at losing great amounts of weight over relatively short periods of time.

Also, i was thinking more about my growing "desire" for this type of rice and i realized that i love it and need it as much as i need and love my beans and lentils.  I went back and reread Little Mary's posts and i came across where she wrote in pertinent part:

"In answer to Debbie's question.....Did it cause me to have any cravings? I guess that depends on what you call "cravings!"  No, I did not get any uncontrollable urges to have a feeding frenzy, nor did I get desires to eat any unhealthy carbs like pasta or potatoes or white rice or processed sugar.  None at all.  What I DID experience was a strong desire to eat rice and beans.  So if I wanted more rice and beans, I ate them until I was full.  . . .  Most days I've wanted to eat curried chickpeas and rice for breakfast, oddly enough, instead of all my fruit!  . . . Somedays, I've eaten brown rice with curried chickpeas or a mixed bean casserole for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner! I can't get enough of them! . ..“

Then Little Mary wrote:

". . . I have now become so addicted to the combination of brown rice and beans such as black beans, canellini beans, or chickpeas, that I am probably going to end up eating them virtually every single day!  Delicious, nutritious, and apparently for me anyhow, non-fattening. . .”

This is how I feel about the rice. And it’s apparently “non-fattening” for me as well in that I have not gained any weight so far eating rice every day.  And,  I don’t have a hankering to sit down and eat a plate of rice by itself. I don’t even have an urge to have rice with chicken or something like that.  I’m strictly loving the juicy, savory bean/rice combination.  The thought of rice mixed into my beans or my beans over rice just makes me feel so happy and the feeling of satisfaction after eating them is something I really haven’t felt since I started LDL (although Original LDL is quite satisfying, as we all know).

Anyway…I was just thinking about that and was interested to read Little Mary’s report again and see how much it reflects EXACTLY what I am feeling, thinking and experiencing with rice.

God bless!
margo
Last edited by margo on July 19th, 2008, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Thanks Little Mary...

And if i want to be completely honest...then i will confess that i am not totally unbaised!  I WANT to report that new LDLers who are praying to lose weight like we all did on Original LDL will be able to eat rice and lose weight.  That is why i am willing to fine tune my food intake to make it happen...

i am also planning to start to exercise when this heat wave breaks!  Maybe that will make a difference.  No more turkey wings for me and no more leg of lamb although i ate that sometimes when i began LDL and was losing weight -- albeit slowly to start. (also, hubby with his Irritable bowel shouldn't be having anything fatty or oily so that will make it easier to comply). 

Here's an update...yesterday at lunch, i did not have rice.  But i had it at breakfast with left over garbanzos and for supper with left over black beans.....so maybe the novelty of rice is beginning to wear off?  For lunch all i wanted was three LDL burgers,pickles, raw red onion,  salad and beets....  Had one big bowl of pop corn with a bit of the butter spray and WAAAAAAAAAAAY less salt...maybe 5 shakes (normally i would put five shakes...stir it around...another 5 shakes...stir around some more and then crown it with more salt!!  And only 5 spritzes of olive oil (that's less than a table spoon)

Onward i go!  less salt, less oily stuff....let's see what happens..

And please...any LDLer out there who is eating dark brown rice AND LOSING WEIGHT, please let us know!!  (we all know now that eating it should not cause you to gain weight).

God bless and have a wonderful and productive week!
margo
Last edited by margo on July 21st, 2008, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Little Mary!

I sort of watch how much banana i take every day...i normally eat about a banana a day...it's usually in frozen form and it's usually a big one.  I just love it in my LDL icecream....i think i'll keep my banana intake around one banana a day....

...and of course you make all the sense in the world when you talk about the tiny strawberry seeds....I don't think anyone has gained weight or stagnated because of strawberry seeds!!  (but i've only had one big container of strawberries this year 'cause the price is so darn high!!) Ditto for the tomato seeds (although we've been off tomatos too since the scare!)

It's so interesting -- isn't it? -- to think about these things...

Today i had left over popcorn that i took with me for the ride to court..
a diet pepsi
another diet pepsi
and now i'm preparing lunch -- i'm having left over LDL burger and leftover chicken along with blackbeans and japonica rice with cole slaw....that's it!

later i'll munch on a fresh bowl of popcorn and i'll make some LDL icecream...

if i want supper -- which i usually do (i notice that Roger Troy doesn't feel he needs to eat supper any longer now that he's eating rice -- but i need supper around 6pm or so)....i'll have more beans and rice...

Thanks Little Mary and God bless!
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Ugh...Yechkk, Roger Troy....i HATE counting calories...i absolutely refuse... >:(

;)

I measured my stomach fullness meter and brain satisfaction pulse against your description and i DO feel very satisfied and full when i eat my rice and beans....i feel satisfied like never before in my whole life!  And i DO stay satisfied for longer periods of time.  But not so satisfied that i'm not rootin' 'round in my fridge later for more beans and left over rice and something green to eat for supper!  I think i have a looooooooong way to go before i get there, RT!  But nothing is impossible.

i can't wait to weigh myself -- just another week or so, i think.  i'll have to check the date of my next weigh in  -- that will be two months eating rice each day.  I don't feel any heavier and i don't feel any lighter at the moment...but who knows!!  I'm very excited to know!

Please pray for ANY type of weight loss...even one little teeny tiny pound!!!
Thanks RT...and God bless!
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi again!

Roger Troy, i have never been such a good LDLer as i am now since i've been on this rice test.  Of course i understand that we should consider how our clothes are fitting as we go along, but honestly, RT, if after six months, say, of eating this brown rice and sticking to LDL "by the book" i still am holding at the exact same weight, don't you think it's safe to say that brown rice is great for maintaining and not so for losing weight?  Or will you think that it's just margo and everyone else (although i still only see one person who reports a one pound loss eating rice a few times a week --we don't know over what length of time -- maybe she was retaining water when she weighed herself one pound heavier?) is or will lose weight eating brown rice every day?  Or will the reasoning be that i was retaining water for six months or doing something else that was affecting my weight loss when i lost perfectly well on the Original LDL?

i meant to start exercising this past week but look, it's Friday already (where DID the week go?) but i was too busy all day and then too tired in the evenings.  I'll try next week to start exercising to see if i can squeeze off a pound or two that way -- but on Original LDL i didn't have to exercise to lose weight and i liked that part 'cause i'm not very disciplined about making time to exercise although i realize it's healthier for me.  And these pounds that i'm trying to lose were pounds i lost already on LDL...i was down to 178 i believe just back in February...

Anyway, as you know, i truly want to show some weight loss because the rice is delicious and does seem to keep me fuller for longer and it's chewy almost like ground beef and it's perfect with beans and i believe it's healthy for us and our colons.

Please pray for positive results.  I hope you know that i am doing my best to give  a fair result in this rice test so that we can know that new LDLers, especially, will not become frustrated if they begin LDL eating the brown rice.  People want to actually see some real loss of pounds after a while.  I wouldn't have been so impressed if i had heard you on the radio (which is where you hooked me) saying that you had not lost pounds but your clothes were a bit loose.  I WAS impressed by the great amount of actual weight that you lost and when i came to the boards people were going crazy happy recounting their weight loss in pounds.  That's what margo needed to see.  I WAS also impressed because you were talking about Our Lord and i figured that you must be telling the truth.  WOuldn't it be great if we could say without reservation that there is a woman on LDL who has lost ...oh let's say...an average of 1/2 - 1 pound a month over several months even while eating dark brown rice every day? Then we wouldn't have to split hairs about clothes being loser but not seeing the scale coming down. And new LDLers (as well as "older" LDLers) could make a more informed decision on whether they want to lose a little slower or maintain their weight eating brown rice or whether they want to lose weight faster leaving brown rice out of their eating plan at least at the start. 

We all weigh ourselves at some point.  You HAVE been on the scale and you've seen it come down over the years...yes, scales lie for variety of reasons, but not forever...sooner or later we have to say that someone has lost weight, gained weight or held their weight.  And, i want to also say, with the utmost respect, that you RT look maaaaahvelous, so tremendously handsome, trim, elegant.  We, who are still working to get our weight down so we can look great like you are not quite as satisfied just seeing a bit of room in our clothes -- sooner or later we want to see the numbers come down. 

Gee...i feel like i keep trying to explain the same thing without getting exactly to my point.  Am i missing something?

Love, respect, thanks, hugs and God's blessings
margo
Last edited by margo on July 25th, 2008, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Everyone...

it's two months now since i started eating brown rice each day.  My weight is exactly 194...the exact weight i was at when i started eating brown rice.  I have not lost any weight.  i have not gained any weight either.

i'm not going to argue with RT about why i haven't lost weight.  You can all go back and read the prior posts in this thread for our divergent positions on that. 

Anyway, i hate the idea of now having to stop eating brown rice in order to lose some weight.  I'm glad Ramadan is coming.  I'll use that opportunity to make a break with brown rice (i don't feel that i can do it before then although i'll try) and i'll go back to doing LDL like i did in the beginning when i was losing weight without even trying.

i must say i do feel a bit discouraged and sad.  I'm almost sorry i did the test because i lost two months during which i could have lost 5 pounds or so and because i have a feeling that RT will say that my weight stagnation will be linked to some water retention, fault on my part or simply my particular body chemistry when in actuality i have been more LDL compliant these last two months than before, when i lost weight so easily.

Anyway, i'm going back to original LDL starting September  and i'll be interested to see, a year from now, where everyone is weight loss wise, who is eating brown rice on a regular basis. 

Good luck everyone with the brown rice; and, i'll still be quite interested to hear of anyone who is actually losing weight over the months eating it.  Anyone besides RT?

God bless!
margo
Last edited by margo on August 6th, 2008, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo......i think you did a GREAT job being extra careful in what you were eating to see if brown rice was a good thing to eat......i really don't know WHO has lost weight eating brown rice.....some people that have good metabolisms MIGHT be able to eat that stuff and lose, but i think that if they didn't eat it, they would lose faster.......the member that lost ONE pound?......you can't count that......she could be someone who loses well who would have lost more without it......actually, i'd like to e-mail her..........................niki 
Last edited by niki on August 6th, 2008, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Thanks Niki...Thanks little mary...i'm crawling inside that group hug circle so i can get it from all sides!! :)

i used to lose about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 pounds a month without rice....quite a respectable rate, i think.

i'm feeling better now...and i didn't serve rice this afternoon -- although i do have some already prepared in the fridge. What a bummer not to have rice for lunch today.. :'(
But i may eat some in a little while for supper with some really slurpy garbanzos...

What the heck?  This is life, after all...if i want rice i'll eat it.  I don't want to live the rest of my life denying myself.  i'm going to kick the bucket one day of something.. so what if i don't lose anymore weight?

God bless!
margo
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

niki wrote:....actually, i'd like to e-mail her..........................niki   

You can e-mail me any time.  I have a new e-mail address on my profile.  Mimi
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

aha.........here you are, mimi...............tell me about the weight you lost eating brown rice....you said it was a pound....how long did that take and was that slower than previous success?.............n
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..