BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
margo
Master Member

Re: BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Post by margo »

Hi Patsyfay!

It is usually around 4 - 5 heaping tablespoons of rice on top of my beans.  I usually fill up my bowl almost to the brim with beans and then top it off with the rice. 

I don't really portion control with the rice.  SOme days i take  a second helping of beans with lunch -- maybe a third of a bowl more with a couple more spoonfulls of rice on top.  But i only eat rice at one meal each day...i figure LDL is not about portion control so i don't -- but to give you an idea of the quantity of rice i find truly satisfying, i would say it is about 4 -5 HEAPING tablespoons.

I feel that if i started really keeping myself to a limited amount of rice -- 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup, i would start feeling like i'm on WW or something -- and i hate that.  i just eat as much until i feel full and then no more rice for the rest of that day.

(i have some left over rice...let me see what 4 -5 heaping tablespoons looks like in a measuring cup...hold on...okay....i put it in the measuring cup and pressed it down -- it's about 1/2 cup. )

Your suggestion to cut the amount in half -- say eating 1/4 cup of rice each day -- may allow weight loss, is well taken.  That may be the case.  If i don't lose weight in the next month of testing eating it every day as i am doing now (i'm thinking that eating 1/2 the amount of rice i'm having now would probably not be as satisfying), i can try your idea and see what happens.  But i wouldn't like for new LDLers to have anything to do with a measuring cup as they start the program.  One of the greatest things about LDL is that we don't measure our food or portion our quantities.  I figure that if we can lose weight eating rice, or maintain eating rice, then the portion won't be the controlling factor -- ya' know what i mean?

Thanks for the feedback.

God bless!
margo
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

I do indeed know what you mean, and until you mentioned it, I hadn't thought about that aspect.  I'm so happy to be delivered from measuring and being able to eat as much as I want. Thanks for being a guinea pit and THANK YOU for the input.
Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Yes RT...i agree that no LDLer should be portioning any of the foods we eat.  If we're eating brown rice..then eat it without measuring it out. 

My point was that during the first month of testing really dark brown rice  by eating it every day -- i have not lost weight.  I'm not saying that it is impossible to lose weight eating it every day -- just that i want to give it another month to allow my body to have a chance to lose weight.  I am ABSOLUTELY SURE that no LDLer is going to gain weight eating the dark brown rice every day (if everything else they consume is LDL legitimate) -- and that's a truly WONDERFUL thing.  Whether you, RT, are confident enough to put it in the book as a food to eat every day while trying to reduce -- that's up to you and you're the Boss Man -- so i'll treat you as i do my husband:

Rule 1 - Husband is always right and must always be obeyed  ::)
Rule 2 - When Husband is wrong, see rule number 1 :-\

;D

Stir fry huh?  i want to see that recipe....i have some left over rice from yesterday....but i know i would want protein in there...hmmm....i'm getting hungry now...

But RT, what do you think of  my testing so far?  Are you interested at all in the results so far and my plan to continue the test?

God bless...
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

well Little Mary...it certainly makes the rules easy to understand!!  :D (but we know better, don't we?) ;)
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Hmmmmmmmm, this means we can cook up some brown rice while we wait for the Moo Goo Gai Pan to be delivered, create a risotto (Mom made it with a marinara). How about mixing it with some Pesto Beppino? I recently used it to make a fritatta.............I wonder if we can mill it into a flour? There are many possibilities here!
Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Joe...

dark brown rice flour, huh?  i think that the thing that makes the dark brown/black rices non fattening is that they pass through the stomach without much of the interior white starchy part being absorbed in the stomach.  i think that if we mill it, it might cause cravings.

RT, Little Mary, am i right about that? I seem to remember reading a post about that not too long ago.

interesting...would love to hear other opinions about it.

God bless
margo
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Margo:

Well, here is how I understand the process. It all starts in the mouth where our food gets chewed and mixed with saliva. This is where we break up the starches. It then goes down to the stomach where it comes in contact with our gastric fluids, mostly Hydrochloric Acid (HCI) and a dash of potassium and sodium chloride. While in there, the stomach churns and processes our food into a digestable goop before sending it's way.

So I'm thinking after all that, even if you swallowed brown rice uncooked and whole, it still is going to end up goop.

Joe
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi RT...

I also had vegetable black brown rice yesterday.  I made it like this:

almost a whole head of garlic minced
one large onion chopped into medium size pieces
two large stalks of celery cut into medium size pieces
one medium red bell pepper cut into same size as onion pieces
two carrots shaved as thick as possible with vegetable peeler

i put these ingredients into the pot where i had already heated up a bit of olive oil

tossed them around in there

put in my left over rice - i would say it was about two cups

added a bit of soy sauce

topped with chopped raw scallions

if i make it today, i'll also scramble a couple of egg whites to toss into the rice at the end.  May also use some zucchini.

It was really good.  Very savory and moist and yummy...I also ate two large platefuls of this for lunch around 1:30pm -- almost all of what i prepared -- (oh, i did have a small piece of turkey --really just a couple of mouthfuls)...i also had a big cucumber and red onion salad.  I stayed full until about 4pm (which is a MIRACLE for me)...then i had a bowl of lentils and in the evening i had more popcorn and some LDL ice cream...

Gosh, RT, i hope this rice thing works.... it might be that eating more of the rice is better than just dumping some it into my beans.  I mean, it may be better to have beans with rice in it AND also another dish with rice in it at the same time like you do sometimes.

i'm going to UP my rice intake and see what happens.

p.s.  I always have a pleasant experience in the morning.... ;)

God bless!
margo
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Margo,
I love your delicate way of putting things!! :D
Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

that's pretty much how i used to make fried rice...although, for me, it was a quick toss together so i only used onion as far as vegetables go because that's what i ALWAYS have in the house(scallion IS definitely better)....and i used whole eggs and not egg whites...............margo, you should post this as a recipe so that more people will see it.................niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

There was a recipe in our paper yesterday that I fixed for breakfast this morning.  You scramble a couple of eggs and set them aside.  Then you saute onions, add garlic to taste and continue sauteing, then add some zucchini and cook til the zucchini is how you like it. (They also called for red and/or green pepper, but I didn't have any.)  Add cooked rice (I had a container of the Lundberg's (sp?) in the fridge), whatever you like, and then mix in the reserved eggs and soy sauce to taste. It was a nice change for breakfast. 
Pat

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Had some peaches over hot brown rice this morning.

Joe
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

So the question that i had last night is:

Can we eat dark brown rice whenever we want?  Or is it recommended as a once a day food like we do with protein? 

I would love to have the rice at supper time as well... You all know that i'm eating the dark brown rice at Lunch with a bit of protein, major greens and some other complex carbs like corn peas or beans.....but i would love to have something later in the day around supper time, like left over rice with veggies.  Do you think this would be okay?  And is my desire to eat the rice twice a day a type of craving?  I was thinking that if i ate rice in the early evening for supper, i would not have it with corn or beans in order to avoid "making a protein" by that combination.  Would rice and veggies be okay?

I hope this question stands out...perhaps i should have started a separate thread?  If i don't get any responses in a few hours, i'll start a separate post.

Thanks and God bless!
margo
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Margo;

It is just heavy proteins like beef and chicken that are limited, generally, to once a day. If I felt the need to have eggs at every meal, I would. (I don't, but that doesn't mean I couldn't if that's what I felt a need for.) Beans and corn or beans and rice are a light protein like eggs.

Take a deep breathe and let God feed you through LDL.
EnJae
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

It is my understanding that the "beans and corn/rice" equals a complete protein DOES NOT count as a protein.  The only protein that we have to consider as a protein on LDL is the meat/chicken.  I could be incorrect in my assumption....and IF I AM, I am sure Roger will correct me and that is fine.  So, go for it gal!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!