BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
margo
Master Member

Re: BROWN RICE GUINEA PIG #2

Post by margo »

Thanks EnJae and Jeanne for the prompt responses...

so is it okay to have a light protein (beans and rice) as a supper after having had an LDL lunch consisting of animal protein, rice, corn, beans and salad?  Or would rice and salad be a better supper after such an LDL lunch earlier in the day?

i suppose that rice and salad does not amount to a protein...

i often have beans/lentils and an ear of corn or salad for supper on LDL...i wonder if it would be better for weight loss if i just had beans and a salad or rice and sauteed mushrooms or  veggies for supper and leave out the combinations that equals any sort of protein even if it's light.

(i'm sorry if i'm sounding a little dense on this.  Sometimes i get stuck on something and i really have to have it completely hammered out before it completely sinks in.) 

i'm so cautious because i don't want to ruin my rice experiment --  So before i "go for it" i guess i need someone to state without reservation that dark brown rice can be eaten at any time of the day and as often as we feel we want during a day.

Thanks again!
God bless..
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Thanks RT and everyone!

i just got back from food shopping and i stopped in a little Korean market where i normally get my Kimchee...i got a bag of something called "Wild Sweet Rice"  ingredients: wild sweet rice....

i don't have the foggiest notion of what this is going to taste like but it is a long grain, almost completely black/dark dark brown kernal.  i paid $3.99 for this 2 pound bag.

i haven't even googled it yet...ohhh here it is:  i see some people add sweet flavors to it and some people cook it like normal rice...

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/ingred ... ickyr.html

Has anyone else tried this kind of rice?  I won't prepare it today 'cause i have enough leftover rice from yesterday.

God bless!
margo
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Little Mary ...Hi All..

The Lundberg Japonica rice has a sort of dark purplebrownblack color to it and the water turns very very dark.  I think this wild sweet rice will be similar to that.

I am not a pudding person (except tapioca)...but i can make some tomorrow.  i actually have perfect mangos for that, i think...could always add a touch of banana too. i'll scout around for some sticky rice recipes and see how i can manage it.... I'll get The General to taste it.  He loves puddings and really sweet things.  I don't know if any of you are familiar with the sweets they have in the Middle East....Ohhhh Yecchhhkk...my teeth are aching just thinking about how sweet and gooey they are.  I don't like things that sweet...But he loves that kind of stuff...

Good night again!
and God bless....
margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote: I'll get The General to taste it.  He loves puddings and really sweet things.  I don't know if any of you are familiar with the sweets they have in the Middle East....Ohhhh Yecchhhkk...my teeth are aching just thinking about how sweet and gooey they are.  I don't like things that sweet...But he loves that kind of stuff...

SO, the general has a major sweet tooth like i do....NOTHING is too sweet for me.................n 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

I could not find "dark brown rice" in the grocery store.  I found "Texmati Long Grain American Basmati Brown Rice".

Ingredents: Texmati Brown Rice".    Is that OK ????
Nancy in FLImage
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Bkkr123 wrote:I could not find "dark brown rice" in the grocery store.  I found "Texmati Long Grain American Basmati Brown Rice".

Ingredents: Texmati Brown Rice".    Is that OK ????

You won't find "dark" brown rice in most grocery stores unfortunately. Most of the time it shows up in health food stores and can be bought online.

If you like, email me your address and I'll send you a bag. It helps to know what it looks like. I've seen the Texmati long grain, but I don't think it meets our needs.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

No Texmati has the husk polished off of it. That is not what you're looking for. Does anyone have the ability to post a picture of the rice we want?

NJ                         
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

I have been eating the black japonica rice fairly regularly with no problems.  I buy it at Albertsons.

Mimi
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi Mimi...

what do you mean "fairly regularly with no problems?" 

does that mean you have not gained weight?
have you lost any weight?
Do you eat more than 3 times a week generally?
how many weeks/months have you been eating the Japonica?

Sorry for the 3rd degree!
Thanks for the feedback..
God bless..
margo
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

I agree with Enjae ~ can someone post what the bags look like?  Or scan some rice for us who are trying to find it know when we have found it?  Thanks!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hi All...

a wonderful site that i never saw before but it has great pictures of raw rice. 
The other links i put there show cooked rice, i think....

http://www.fbworld.com/Vendors/lundberg ... eties.html

http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Gou ... 20Rice.htm

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... s%26sa%3DN

God bless!
margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote: I was thinking that if i ate rice in the early evening for supper, i would not have it with corn or beans in order to avoid "making a protein" by that combination. 

hey margo........i just read this...............you DON'T have to worry about creating a complete protein.....first of all, everything i've read says that you don't have to eat the different components of a complete protein in the same meal....AND it's not a bad thing if you do......i'm going to say that part of the reason eating meat, chicken or fish more than once a day is bad for you is that they are all polluted in one way or another...with fish, even if you catch it yourself, you have to be concerned about polluted waters...animals are injected with hormones that make them gain weight AMONGST other things, so when you eat the meat, you're also consuming the hormone to gain weight.....even if you bought organically raised or free range chickens, you wouldn't be eating unlimited amounts of them more than once a day...like i alwys say there is safety in moderation...........n 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hey Niki...

i think i finally understand that....thanks!

good nite all!
and God bless...
i'm going to hit the sack...

margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

margo wrote:i'm going to hit the sack...
margo

MARGO...do you SEE what time it is?.......have you developed INSOMNIA???
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

EnJae wrote:No Texmati has the husk polished off of it. That is not what you're looking for. Does anyone have the ability to post a picture of the rice we want?

NJ                           

Here ya go, NJ! 

I've bought both of these and they're BOTH delicious!
Image    Image

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Thank you Carolyn.

Sorry I haven't been on the boards much lately. I've been working 12 hour shifts for awhile.
NJ
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

Bless your heart Enjae, good thing you're young.  My older bones would collapse if i tried to work a 12 hour day.

Margo and Roger Troy, I have been eating the black japonica rice probably three times a week since the end of May.  I have lost a pound in weight since then which isn't a whole lot I know but better than gaining a pound. :D  Besides which I think I'm down to my last ten pounds to lose.

Mimi